A Conversation for Robert E Lee and His Pet Chicken - A Study in Southern Gentility

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 1

Willem

Hi Dmitri! I really don't think they'd kill his chicken! That's what I'll believe. I think chickens are fascinating critters! I would like to keep some for pets and decorative purposes if one day I have a good-sized patch of land.

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Actually, they make pretty good pets, I've heard. ,winkeye> Though farmers usually don't believe in it.

One of my cousins was responsible for a pet chicken. She was about four or five, I think, and she picked up a newly-hatched hick. To my grandparents' chagrin, the chicken imprinted, and that was that.

They lived in fear that it would turn into a scaredy-cat rooster. But it grew into a hen, which was fine. smiley - rofl

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 3

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Sidewise logic can prove that the chicken survived because Lee was a General from Virginia and not a Colonel from Kentucky.

QED.

Loved the article by the way. smiley - ok

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 4

smiley - snork Thanks.

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 5

hygienicdispenser

I love the idea of your cousin picking up a newly-hatched hick, Dmitri...

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 6

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Hi Willam

Saw your note about keeping chickens, I have known several people who keep a half-dozen or more hens in a back-yard coop in the middle of a city. I have not tried this myself, but I have purchased eggs from them. Here is a link you might find interesting - http://urbanchickens.org/

Another interesting point is most of the local county mosquito control agencies keep "sentinel chickens" - http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/index.aspx?NID=2601

Of course keeping and caring for any animal is a very personal decision, but I thought you might be interested in a few thoughts on the subjectsmiley - biggrin

F smiley - dolphin S

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 7

ITIWBS

A down-side on chickens and gardens, chickens deem it their mission to devour any seed put in the ground.

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 8

Which is why God made fences. smiley - winkeye

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Post 9

ITIWBS

...of course if your object is to create a weed-free fenced area, they work as well as hounds or goats...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Robert E Lee and His Pet Chicken - A Study in Southern Gentility

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more