A Conversation for The Lounge

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 1

h2g2 Community Editors

Welcome to the h2g2 Community! You've found your way to The Lounge, the launching point for Community conversations.

Feel free to introduce yourself by posting a reply to this thread. We are a friendly bunch here and would like to get to know you.

Perhaps you would like to tell us how you came across h2g2 and what motivated you to register. Did you read an entry and felt you just had to comment? Did someone recommend h2g2 to you? Did you find us purely by accident? Did you find what you were looking for?

Producing content on h2g2 is achieved through the collaborative efforts of the researchers and the volunteers. Sharing with us makes you part of the process and helps to improve the Guide.

smiley - ta
The Community Editors

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 2

Fuchsia

I saw an article on Liverpool Museum on FB, one of my friends must know someone on here or something, I'd not come across it before.

I came to the site to take a peek, I'm nosey like that. I read loads of different things and decided to register so I wouldn't lose the place.

It'll take a while before I know what else you do, but I think this is going to be fun.

One question, I've read a few things about computer games this past couple of days, are there loads of gamers here?

As Arnie says, 'I'll be back'.

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 3

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Hi Fuchsia smiley - smiley

I would maybe not say there are 'loads of' gamers here, but there definitely are some. I've written a few Entries about games myself.I mostly play MMOs, RPGs, strategy games and classic nintendo games.
Magwitch ( U780990 ) for instance plays Play Station games.

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 4

Merriweather

Hello, I've just joined h2g2 - nice place you've got here!

I'm a freelance games writer and I'm currently writing an article about the Starlight Lines Employee Forum and the various role playing that's gone on there over the years, long after the game Starship Titanic slipped off into the ether. I'd like to get in touch with some of the role players from the forum, which sadly no longer seems to exist. Do you know how I could get in touch with them?

Thanks!
Lewis

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 5

Pastey

I'm not sure if the contact details for the forum users are still around or not, but I can ask one of the game's programmers if they know. smiley - smiley

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 6

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I really need to brush up on my reading skills - I figured you wanted to meet the role players here on h2g2 smiley - blush

Welcome here though, it will be great to see the finished article! I never got around to playing Starship Titanic, sadly...

smiley - towel

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 7

Merriweather

Thanks, any information would be most helpful! I think it will make for a fascinating article, tracking down the forum members has proved tricky. I know that the core crew consisted of the following thanks to this entry http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A584831:

Grand Admiral Blarg (notional commander-in-chief), Dirigible St John-Joop (Chief Steward), Baza Lo-Ths'm (manager of The Little Chuff), Ondreayap Brindlesnart (art gallery owner), Mzpit (general store manager), Goblin (the tea-boy), and Harry (senior executive with the Very Big Company of Everywhen and ongoing thorn in the Starship Titanic’s side)

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 8

Pastey

Quite a few of the early researchers here came over because they were at the Starship Titanic forums, and while I may have had a working PC when ST came out, it didn't have internet access. In fact, I remember having to buy a new, larger, 1GB hard drive for my machine simply so I could install the game fully and not have to run from discs smiley - laugh

I still love it though, and have a now old Pentium PC purely for playing it smiley - smiley

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 9

Renachos_42

Hi, i am a big fan of the Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy and when i came to know about h2g2 (surfing on internet about the Guide) i immediately sign in!

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 10

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Welcome to h2g2.

Have some fun, and read the Post, you'll find it using the link button on the top the page smiley - biggrin

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 11

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

And as far as gaming is concerned, I think you'll find that a bit of role-play (although I like to think of it as creative sentience) takes place in several forums here that are cleverly disguised as chat houses. smiley - winkeye

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 12

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

I always thought they were real chat houses smiley - huh

smiley - divasmiley - bubbly *hic*

lil x

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 13

MotoBarSteward

Nope, not new. I actually joined the site on October 7th 2004! I think I shall make a habit of checking in every 10 years to let you know I am still alive and not taking a period of death for TAX purposes.

So, until 2024, so long and thanks for all the fish.

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 14

Pastey

See you in ten years! smiley - laugh

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 15

kasdog

There was once an hilarious word game on h2g2 which was a long running story with knights and damsels feuding with each other. Each post had to contain a word in capitals which was an anagram of a word in the previous post. Does anyone remember it? Has it disappeared completely? Or is it still here under a different name?
I think it was called something like mix one word. Does anyone know of it?

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 16

Pastey

Add one word, I think. If so. I think it's still running.

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 17

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

There's a variant we used to play at the atelier that we called the subject header game. Everyone who posted tacked a new sentence or fragment onto the story using only the subject header, whilst in the content we carried on chatting in the usual way.

Some people felt that they were being pressed into playing, though, so we had to give up the practise. Pity.

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 18

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

kasdog! I remember it well smiley - diva

Tri-quack and Prof Animal Chaos were some of the playmates smiley - biggrin

I'm sure we could get it going again, if we can trawl it up from the depths smiley - erm

lil xx

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 19

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I shall endeavour a quest in search of the holy eggcup smiley - ermerr! grailsmiley - runoops!smiley - nuralready bin done

a quest for "knights, damsels and varlets" methinks - sod running, I'm buggered just writing all this down.

smiley - footprintsslow plodsmiley - footprints

Are you new to h2g2?

Post 20

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - ermwent back in my own space and still can't find t, bet I've missed it ho humsmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more