This is the Message Centre for

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 1

Researcher 14993127

....and a fabulous time had by all.
It started Saturday with a drive up to Yorkshire to the Profs house. After a few hours looking over his pc attempting to upgrade him from XP to Windows 7 I came to the conclusion that typical of the Prof, nowt so straight forward can be done on his pc.smiley - spacesmiley - facepalmsmiley - space I've no idea why but his version of XP had 'greyed out' all the utilities/tools such as disk management and the like. I couldn't partition, format nor do any of the usual things one does with disk management tools. As an aside, since Jan this year I've updated/upgraded 9 pc's from XP to either Win 7 or Win 8.1 along with 3 laptops, all with no issues whatsoever. Nice one Prof.smiley - spacesmiley - biggrin
Having stayed overnight at the Profs it was then a trip across the Pennines into Cheshire ready for the main event, the christening.
This was the christening of VV's daughter along with their family, Auntie Lil, Virtueouschuffed and the whole ensemble. It was then off to the pub for a rather splendid buffet and a chance for everyone to meet up informally and catch up with friends past and present.
It was then off to our hotel to get booked in and that concluded day 2.
Day 3 was to be an open event at Lil's house in which another scrumptious buffet was laid on and this was the relaxed informal occasion. We stayed the extra day so's to avoid travelling in bank holiday traffic especially as the weather was fine and dry most of the time and hence traffic to local theme parks and suchlike would be heavy.
Day 4 was a trip back over the Pennies to the Profs home and this is where I'd decided I wasn't leaving Profs till we had his new Win 7pro system up and running on his pc. We made sure he'd backed up all relevant data to his external hard drive and USB Flash Drive and 2 hours later he was up and running with Win 7. YAY Result! smiley - spacesmiley - biggrin
The only hiccup on the technology front that I couldn't deal with till I got home was the stooped sat-nav. Prior to leaving I'd done a mega update to the sat-nav as I have one of those lifetime map/software update features for it. It threw a real wobbly on the 3rd day. All I did was literally turn up the volume slightly and boy did it go mental, hence me tag.smiley - spacesmiley - biggrinsmiley - space To start with it defaulted to Afrikaans, then when I sorted that it told us to take various turns but no matter which way it said all routes led to a motorway which we didn't want. I ignored it in the end but it then told us to take a left turn immediately followed by the following, "at first opportunity do a U-Turn" followed by "recalculating" then taking us back the way we had just come.smiley - spacesmiley - facepalmsmiley - space I decided to ignore altogether in the end though when we got back to the hotel I decided to turn the volume back down to where it was and lo and behold, all errors gone. To cut a long story short, when I got home I reloaded to pc and was greeted on the sat-nav site by an apology about an error in the last update and a patch was now available to correct it.smiley - spacesmiley - steamsmiley - space
Needless to say, the lesson here is never rely 100% on a sat nav, stick to good ole fashioned paper maps as well.
So all in all, an excellent 4 days, I must pass on thanks to the Prof and to Lil and family for being excellent hosts and also for such an enjoyable break.
Its back to reality check here now, I have a few days and then a real mix of various medical appts to sort through, from blood tests to Cardiac clinics, MRI scans to Physio.
Hope everyone else is ok. Take care, ttfn. smiley - spacesmiley - towel

smiley - cat

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 2

You can call me TC

I just wrote a long answer to your journal, BMT, and then lost it. Never mind. Firstly I wanted to say that I enjoyed it, especially your typo:

>>Day 4 was a trip back over the Pennies<<

Then I went off into a tirade about the stupid spell check on the new IE 10 they've installed us at work. I have found out how to deal with it now, though.

smiley - cheers

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 3

Researcher 14993127

smiley - dohsmiley - spaceperview is my friend.smiley - spacesmiley - biggrin

smiley - cat

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 4

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Just curious -- IE 11 is the newest release. Are you sure it's v10 you've got?

Sounds like you had a great weekend, BMT. I loved the bit where your gps started talking in Afrikaans! smiley - laugh

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 5

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

*recalculating*

Glad you found your way home safely smiley - smooch

A good time was had by all smiley - divasmiley - bubbly

*hic*

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 6

You can call me TC

Yes it's version 10, newly installed. I checked.

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 7

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

The privilege was mine, in having ST visit me once again (and being my chauffeursmiley - winkeye) as I left Yorkshire as a missionary smiley - winkeye(to teach the true faith in distant climes) and also being invited to Summer's Christening.
smiley - cuddle's were passed to Lil from MS and Dmitrismiley - smiley

The occasion of being with Lil and her family again and with ST, are true bonds that stemmed from nattering here on hootoosmiley - magic

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 8

Researcher 14993127

Looking at the typos in me journal I think that sat-nav recalculated my brain to Afrikaans.smiley - spacesmiley - rofl

smiley - cat

A Long Weekend Away....

Post 9

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

windows 7 = twiddle = Recalculating smiley - whistle

Key: Complain about this post