A Conversation for The KLF - the Band

KLF

Post 1

dai infidel

I think that "3am Eternal" was also inspired by the ABBA incident, this being the time the guys arrived in Sweden to burn their recordings.

KLF

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

You don't mention it in the text, but I have a vague recollection that "KLF" was an acronym for "Kopyright Liberation Front"...?

KLF

Post 3

Researcher 92673

Correctamundo! The KLF acronym was indeed short for Kopyright Liberation Front.
The text also neglects to mention the fine retropsective album credited to both the JAMMS and the KLF, called "Shag Times". And there was an album called "Space" as well if my memory serves me well....

KLF

Post 4

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

I think there's some debate over the "Space" album... wasn't it a Jimmy Cauty solo project, or some kind of collaboration with The Orb? I'm a bit hazy there too.

Orb

Post 5

The Dancing Tree

Wasn't Jimmy actually a member of the Orb at one time?

Orb

Post 6

Um, yes. I think. Actually, this might be a good time to include a link to a rather excellent KLF website: http://quality.gconnect.com/KLF/

Orb

Post 7

GOD

Great Stuff E.V !!! smiley - smiley

I foldly remember not only the music (especially the sublime 'Chill Out'), but I always enjoyed the aesthetic jokes that so many failed to enjoy...

smiley - fish - Simply, High Spirited.

Orb

Post 8

Thank you, your magnificentness! Don't suppose you could pull a few strings and get Messrs Drummond and Cauty to release some new material, could you?

Orb

Post 9

GOD

No...

I think they are quite happy enough living off the 'burnt' a million dollars resting in the joint Swizz Bank Account... smiley - winkeye

smiley - fish - Simply, High Spirited.

Orb

Post 10

The Dancing Tree

Well, I dunno - I reckon they did actually burn that million. However, it was somewhat suspicious that their bank statement prior to the burning said something like £1,000,003.65... make of that what you will, but it's very unlikely that they only ever had a single million.

Buggers never built the pyramid though...

Post 11

amdsweb

What a top act the KLF/JAMMS were. Me and my friend Rob Dickens used to do a travelling disco when we were in the sixth form at school (v. cheesy), and we used to love clearing the dance floor of teenies by putting on the hugely long and repetitive 12" What time is love? (trancentral remix) {or was that just trance remix? Anyway the one in the green & black cover}.

When I was at college I had a brief dalliance with a beautiful girl from scotland, who, I kid you not, had a copy of 1987... What the f**ks going on?
And I managed to tape it (albeit minus the last half a song or so) before she ditched me! Oh happy days.
I'm going to transfer it onto minidisc for posterity, and I may, if time permits, be able to do a few copies for ppl.

- Adam

Post 12

There's a fine selection of KLF-related mp3 files at the site I mentioned above, including the whole of the 1987 album, so if you want the last half song you're missing, have a look there! smiley - smiley

Post 13

amdsweb

Smashing!

I've just downloaded the whole 566 Mb of KLF songs. I'm in northern heaven again. Takes me right back to when I was a nipper.

Post 14

Stealth Munchkin

The entry doesn't mention Drummond's book 45 either...
BTW The Manual can be found online at http://www.instrumentality.com/themanual.html

Orb

Post 15

Sheepish Lord of Chaos

Didn't Jimmy Cauty go through a phase of Hendrixism by calling himself Jimi? Of course I could just be losing it in my old age. 3am seems such a long time ago.

Orb

Post 16

Matthew Kershaw

Thanks for the above links guys !!! smiley - smiley

M.K*

Art Exhibition...

Post 17

Matthew Kershaw

Hey, I was reading over at www.nme.com one of the guys is having an art exhibition in London somewhere...

BTW I read the Manual, it could come in handy when I land in London taking on the pool of sharks collectively known as 'the Biz'...smiley - winkeye

M.K*

Art Exhibition...

Post 18

Planning on having a number one hit then, MK?

Art Exhibition...

Post 19

Matthew Kershaw

I wouldn't be flying half way around the world to 'stall' at number two... smiley - winkeye

M.K*

Art Exhibition...

Post 20

Fair point...

Key: Complain about this post