A Conversation for A Brief History of Poisoning

Fascinating!

Post 1

Indigo Starblaster

This was an absolutely fascinating article -- thank you for writing it.

One question -- there are some fictional accounts of "anti-poison", where the victim is unknowingly acclimated to a physically addictive substance, then killed when the substance is withdrawn. Are there any true-life accounts of such a thing?

Indigo S.

Fascinating!

Post 2

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Well, arsennic has certainly been used in this way in fiction. Don't know whether there are any examples IRL, Never heard of it called 'anti-poison' though. As Farlander says, all substances are potential poisons. It just depends on the dose.

smiley - smiley

Fascinating!

Post 3

Orfila

Alcohol will do that to you. Tolerance occurs when the body tries to counter-act the drug. If the tolerance is very high and the drug is suddenly withdrawn, there is now nothing counter-acting the tolerance.

Alcohol specifically is a central nervous system depressant. So the body increases its output of central nervous system stimulants. When a hardcore alcoholic suddenly stops drinking, the body is now over-stimulated, and has resulted in death.
I'm sure there are quite a few other drugs out there... I just haven't heard any confirmed cases.

note: This only occurs in EXTREME cases of alchoholism

Fascinating!

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

So anything that causes major withdrawal symptoms could, in extreme cases, be an 'anti-poison'?

Fascinating!

Post 5

Dannysdaughter

My dad was poisned by Shirley Allen.The Third husband not mentioned. Shirley Allen died in prison 2007 while sentenced to life for killing her 4th husband Lloyd Allen. I LOVE YOU POP!!!!! Judi

Fascinating!

Post 6

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

smiley - hug

Fascinating!

Post 7

Dannysdaughter

None that i know of. Isnt that what drug dealers do anyway? You cant afford the drug any more?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Brief History of Poisoning

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more