This is the Message Centre for Flame

Bahrain - Ramadan

Post 1

Flame

October 12th 2006

I arrive during the latter part of Ramadan. Ramadan is considered the most blessed and spiritually beneficial month of the year. Eating, drinking, smoking and sexual intercourse are not permitted between dawn and sunset.

In Bahrain (where alcohol is allowed outside of Ramadan) they have always closed the hotel bars during Ramadan in the daytime - but for the last two years they have also decided to close them in the evenings. So at the moment it really is a dry state. Possibly not the best time for me to arrive, but I’m looking forward to seeing Ramadan in practice. Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment.

The coffee shops and the malls are also closed during the day throughout Ramadan - so at the moment there isn’t much for me to do until after sunset when everything (but the bars) re-opens.

I have no internet connection and this is driving me to distraction. Late afternoon James drives me over to one of the construction sites so that I am able to check my e-mails. As we drive across the city I can’t help but admire the sun in the sky. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it looking quite so large, and it’s sitting so low in the sky that I almost feel I could reach out and touch it. It’s surrounded by a deep purple haze. What a wonderful sight it is to behold.

We arrive at site and one of the tea boys comes into the office and brings us coffee. Malesh is one of the many thousands of Indians working here. He’s from the south of India and has worked in Bahrain for four years. He tells me a little about his life in India and he shows me a photograph of his French girlfriend.

Tonight we walk over to the Al Seef mall. We do some shopping and then sit down and have coffee. This gives me the chance to people watch, a favourite hobby of mine. The Bahraini people in general seem rather laid back, and despite the women having their heads covered - they all look happy enough. I decide that perhaps the veil just stand out more within my own culture. Because everyone wears them here it just looks more natural. It doesn’t really matter about what I personally feel about women being veiled. That’s just the way it is here, but a little part of me can’t help but think that it’s a shame they have to hide such beauty.

I’m beginning to take more notice of the Abaya, the black gown they are all wearing. Some of them are very plain with thick black material but many of the younger women’s gowns are designed with very fine material, and many of the outfits have stunning silk designs on them. Some women have no hair showing whatsoever, some have a little, while others are showing quite a lot. Many of the women are wearing make-up and I begin to glimpse designer jeans beneath the gowns, designer shoes and handbags. Without doubt some of them are very beautiful, and some certainly know how to wear the gowns. They look stunning.

I notice that some of the men are very pale skinned and rather European looking; others are various shades darker, and quite African looking. I’m not sure that I could spot an Arab that wasn’t from Bahrain (although I expect the locals could) but I imagine some of the people milling around the mall are probably from other Arab states. I’m sure that I’m far more interested in looking at them than what they are in me. I could sit here for hours - but it’s time to head back home.

Bahrain - Ramadan

Post 2

DJV

Love the descriptions. I can see you setting a novel out there!

:GM:

Bahrain - Ramadan

Post 3

Flame

Hello GM,

You could be right! Heard any more about the book?

Bahrain - Ramadan

Post 4

ianhimself

I love these

your writing rocks ...... we need to look at our project!

smiley - smooch

Bahrain - Ramadan

Post 5

DJV

Not as yet - we discuss at the meetings whose turn it is to send Ian an email to ask how it's going. I think it's Christine's turn next!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Flame

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more