A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

June 9th 2016 - Leopards and Spitting Part II

Post 41

SashaQ - happysad

Slowness is an interesting problem, I think... I find brunel is generally faster than Pliny, as I have to wait for various bits of each Pliny page to load before I can go to the next one...

Post 42

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - coolsmiley - coolsmiley - cool

Post 43

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

SashaQ - I sometimes find its so slow loading up in pliny that the brouser times out, (I'm on 150 MBPS broadband), so I use alabaster when that ahppens and it always loads instantly smiley - weirdsmiley - 2cents but in general I try use pliny nowdays for the most part smiley - zen

Post 44

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - wow

I'm glad to hear good things about Alabaster. smiley - winkeye

Post 45

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Interesting - my internet runs an average of 6 Mbps, and both Pliny and Brunel blink up in the same time, once the site begins to answer. That first push can often take 4 to 10 seconds.

It's possible that much of the slow-down for others is bogged-down operating systems, firewalls, anti-virus, etc on the individual computers?

Post 46

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - laugh mines due to, my PC being steam powered, smiley - laugh

Post 47

SashaQ - happysad

Glad it's not just me that finds Pliny slower than Ripley - must be my virus checker or something on my computer indeed, so each component of the page has to be examined before being displayed smiley - laugh

Post 48

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

My 10 year old iMac may have its own problems. I just checked the speed and it's 89.94 Mbit/s download and 27.85 Mbit/s upload if I use my Safari browser (and nothing but), but only 16.27 Mbit/s download and
27.85 Mbit/s upload if I use Firefox (with 6 tabs open)

Think I'll have to check with my provider. I suspect my connection (via cable, mind!) to be very unstable smiley - erm

smiley - ta for the idea to change back to alabastard. I may try that first to see if that helps. Pliny is definitely very slow compared to what I've been used to (from both hootoo and other sites)

smiley - pirate

Post 49

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

That's interesting. For me Pliny usually loads instantly.

Post 50

*bung's more coal on the boiler*

smiley - rofl

Post 51

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Cap'n smiley - pirate, if I had 80 to 90 Mbps speeds, I'd be reading tomorrow's posts yesterday !!!

Post 52

where's my gone smiley - smiley I always start a convo post on here with a and now there gone

smiley - cogs

Post 53

smiley - blushsmiley - blushsmiley - blushsmiley - blushsmiley - blushsmiley - blushsmiley - blush oops wrong thread smiley - rofl

Post 54

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

re 51:

That's what I thought. I had fewer problems when I only had 2 Mbit/s smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 55

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Thanks Millasmiley - smiley

Post 56

"wrong thread" [Jack Russ]

Maybe there's no *right* thread for that. smiley - tongueout

Post 57

there is always a right thread, smiley - tongueout

Post 58

In one sense of the term, there is also a left thread...smiley - erm

Post 59

Bluebottle

True - I've left a lot of threads...

<BB<

Post 60

smiley - roflsmiley - rofl

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more