2016-05-29 Tech Announcement: New Login

Post 61

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

A bit rusty around the diodes, perhaps? smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

Post 62

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

A brief query: is it common for a Researcher to need to re-assert their 'settings' frequently before they can post? (I continue to use Brunel skin, and FireFox as a browser)

Post 63

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Not for me. But then I never sign out smiley - geek

smiley - pirate

Post 64

Icy North

I'm occasionally told that I can't post a reply because I'm not logged in (when I am logged in - my name's on the screen). Logging in seems to fix this, but it's a pain - I need to save my posting somewhere as using back buttons tends to wipe out the posting I made, as well as log me out again.

In this situation I hit the back button, copy/paste the posting (if it's still there), then log in, then open another session and renavigate to the conversation, then reply.

Simples.

Post 65

To both - no, I don't ever log out as there are concerns often about getting back in. And yes to the other - the "you must finish registration" is sent to another window, met, and then a back-step to my post.

It's just somewhat of a nuisance, but good to know it isn't just my own configs. Thanks.

Post 66

You can call me TC

I get what Icy just described, but don't bother with logging out and in again, just a couple of times on the back and forwards buttons and I'm sailing again. smiley - surfer

Post 67

You can call me TC

I just had it again and now I've remembered that refreshing with F5 is quite adequate.

Post 68

I'll try the single back-step with a refresh (Ctrl-F5) the next time, thanks for that suggestion.

Post 69

Bluebottle

You mean I don't have to pick up the PC, chuck it out the window and then go down to the shop and buy a new one smiley - 2cents each time that happens?smiley - yikes

<BB<

Post 70

Baron Grim

This is such a common occurrence that anytime you have a long post it is a darn good idea to copy your text before hitting either the post or preview buttons.

But yeah, I'm very used to it and I typically just hit refresh (F5) and that usually clears up the sign in problem. smiley - antsmiley - antsmiley - ant

Also, has anyone else noticed an increase of connection drops resulting in "Website currently offline" pages? I'm running Brunel with My Convo pop-up refreshing every few minutes and it certainly seems that I see that page more often lately.

Post 71

I ran into "site gone" replies for a couple of very early Canadian mornings. I assumed automatic maintenance that had servers briefly gone. So didn't worry ... I had my towel at-hand.

Post 72

Baron Grim

(Heh... Just got "logged off" again.)

I assume the normal maintenance is early Monday Mornings, but I'm just going on when I expect to see that same error. (It also mentions that the site might be down for maintenance.) About 21:00 on Sunday evenings, Central Daylight Time, would be 03:00 GMT so that would make sense. But I've been seeing it during GMT daylight hours more often recently. It could be on my end of course, but that's why I was asking.

Post 73

Deb

Twice during this session (20 minutes) I've had to "Click here to complete your registration".

I never log out.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 74

Baron Grim

Yeah... you don't need to do that, just refresh, that should bring you back.

Post 75

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

i been logging all morning and only to run out of bog paper smiley - winkeye

Post 76

Baron Grim

Ewww! smiley - yuk

Post 77

Baron Grim

Ah! There it is again. I saved a screen shot of it so I can describe it properly.

At the top is a green rectangle you can click to
"Retry for a live version"
, followed by the notification that "Website is offline: no cached version of this page is available".

Then below that:
------------
Error 521
Ray ID: 2b5f1f914bd41ee3 * 2016-06-20 12:11:39 UTC
Web Server is down

You
Browser Working [check]
San Jose
CloudFlare Working [check]
[icon of some computer box with a red x on it]
www.h2g2.com
Host
Error
---------

And then there is some Q&A style explanation that the web server isn't returning a connection and that you should try again in a few minutes or if you're the owner of the websie that you should contact your hosting provider with a link to additional troubleshooting info.

I wonder if this page is generated by Chrome?

Post 78

Icy North

That means the h2g2 server wan't available at the time you tried. Cloudflare sits on a security layer above it and povides DDoS protection, etc.

Not sure what registers as a DDoS attack in h2g2 terms - 10 simultaneous login requests? smiley - biggrin

Post 79

ITIWBS

Ditto all the above, last 17 posts.

Post 80

Baron Grim

Even post 75!?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more