A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2015-02-04 Announcement from Robbie Stamp and Lanzababy

Post 21

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

serimously! will twiddling with my P/S still screw up hootoo at this stage in time ?

(looking at blackmailsmiley - whistlesmiley - laugh)

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Maybe, but it will probably screw up your still smiley - redwine.

Post 23

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyewhile I can afford the odd bottle from Scotlandsmiley - winkeye I'll make dosmiley - laugh

Post 24

Congratulations, Lanza smiley - redwine

Conbratulations, Pastey smiley - stoutsmiley - alesmiley - cider

Post 25

Pastey

Cheers Happy! smiley - cheers

Post 26

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Thank you!

smiley - offtopic
(A personal note: I suffered a bereavement yesterday, my father lost his long struggle with illness. So please excuse me for not partaking more fully at this time with events on h2g2. But I'd be very grateful if you wouldn't leave condolences in this business thread. I know how sentimental many Researchers are. smiley - cheerup would prefer it to stay on topic. Thanks again!)
smiley - offtopic

Post 27

[smiley - run to look for appropriate thread for condolences]

Post 28

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

this place staying on topic....... smiley - rofl

Post 29

There isn't a relevant journal that I can go to. smiley - sadface

Post 30

Witty Moniker

Paul, the thread is here in Lanza's message center: http://h2g2.com/user/U10790805/conversation/view/F12628132/T8312475/page/1/

Post 31

ITIWBS

Congrats to Lanzababy & Pastey.

On Gnomon's post #8, I must agree.

I first had a bad experience that way with Ripley Brunel.

Pliney fails almost every time one writes more than about 250 words.

Simply dumps everything.

I suspect this may be a timeout problem.

Many systems technically similar to h2g2 don't recognize activity in the composition box and time out while one is still composing on account of system inactivity.

TIT, who was overseeing the technical side of the site at the time at the time, reccomended doing one's first draft on notebook or an equivalent program, as simple a text program as possible, saving a copy on your own computer or a disc, then cutting and pasting to Peer Review when that was complete.

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer myself.

Pastey has been a good successor to TIT and I'm glad he'll still be around from time to time.

Post 32

ITIWBS

Oops!smiley - biro

Congrats to Lanzababy & Pastey.

On Gnomon's post #8, I must agree.

I first had a bad experience that way with Ripley Brunel.

Pliney fails almost every time one writes more than about 250 words.

Simply dumps everything.

I suspect this may be a timeout problem.

Many systems technically similar to h2g2 don't recognize activity in the composition box and time out while one is still composing on account of system inactivity.

As a remedy for the problem with Pliny, if I intend a lengthy reply, I make a brief response in Pliny to bring it up in Ripley, then move over to Brunel.

TIT, who was overseeing the technical side of the site at the time of the Ripley problem, recommended doing one's first draft on notebook or an equivalent program, as simple a text program as possible, saving a copy on your own computer or a disc, then cutting and pasting to Peer Review when that was complete.

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer myself.

Pastey has been a good successor to TIT and I'm glad he'll still be around from time to time.

Post 33

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Yes, there is a problem with timeout, especially if like me you have more than one tab open, go and look for some reference material elsewhere, check your emails, come back and 'whoosh' your text vanishes when you save.

It's best to save as you go along, rather than write a huge chunk of text and save at the end.

I've always used notebook to compose any Entries, that way I have a first draft which cannot get lost. I then C&P when I am ready.

We are aware of the inadequacies of the Pliny text editor. smiley - winkeye I'm British, it's Sunday morning, so you can read the previous sentence in the knowledge of full British understatement.

Post 34

Pastey

The timeout isn't an issue with the text editor, it's a server setting somewhere I couldn't find.

Post 35

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - cheers

Thanks Pastey - bit early for beer, but it's virtual so you can save it for later.

Post 36

Bald Bloke

Lanza
That's Pastey...
With him It's never too Early (or Late)for beer. smiley - ale.

Post 37

If he brews his own, he's entitled. smiley - winkeye

Post 38

Pastey

Unfortunately I also have to sell it smiley - erm

Fortunately, I have to do quality control smiley - winkeye

Post 39

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Ahhhh smiley - ale

Post 40

Baron Grim

You could paraphrase the motto of our Blue Bell ice creamery.

"We eat [drink] all we can and sell athe rest."smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more