A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 3 February 2014 - Announcing the return of Italics

Post 1

h2g2 Operations

We're delighted to let you know that since the launch of the new version of Pliny, we've been able to continue fixing and tweaking things behind the scenes. Today one of those things is able to come out to the front and show itself off. We've been able to launch the Core Team badge, a shiny multi-coloured badge that will sit on the Personal Spaces of those Senior Volunteers that make up the 'Core Team': those that manage the running of the site on a day to day basis.

Every official Volunteer on the site gives up their free time to keep The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Earth Edition, up and running, and we really can't stress how grateful we are for this. The site would not be here without their effort. There’s a lot more volunteers than you might first realise, quietly beavering away behind the scenes.

Managing those volunteers and their hard work is the Core Team; these are the team leaders and their deputies, who are always in contact with each other, have official monthly meetings, and between them and their interaction with NPL, guide the daily running of the site and plan out its future. In short, these are the people who are responsible in the same way as the paid staff were when the site was run by the BBC or earlier when TDV set it up.

In order to assist in clarifying the management structure of h2g2, the Core Team will not only be distinguishable by a shiny new badge, but they will also start appearing as Italics in the forums.

The Core Team comprises:

Pastey U45177
Lanzababy U10790805
Milla U153664
Magwitch U780990
Tavaron U1314679
Witty Moniker U15777
Dmitri U1590784
Lil U551837
Solnushka U138596
Psychocandy U194479
Asteroid Lil U81931

For the core team,
Milla smiley - cogs

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I smiley - lovesmiley - lovesmiley - love what the core team is doing. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I noticed the new font just before I got to this announcement, but thought my eyes were going smiley - weird

smiley - laugh

Post 4

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Hurrah for Hootoo's Eleven! smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Post 5

Superfrenchie

Thank you very very much much much, Italics. smiley - smooch

Post 6

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - biggrinmorning

Post 7

Icy North

Clearly a spoof. Monday 2 February 2014 doesn't even exist.

Post 8

Pastey

And we have a winner!smiley - bubbly

We've been wondering who'd notice that first! Well done Icy! smiley - applausesmiley - laugh

Post 9

Pastey

D'you know, I've been staring at that subject line all evening thinking there was something wrong with it but it took me ages to actually work it out smiley - laugh

Post 10

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - cdouble

smiley - smooch What would we do without you Icy smiley - biggrin

I'll ask the CEs to fix the typo.

Post 11

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - whistle it's rait in my realitysmiley - biggrin

Sodit 3 February 2014 - Announcing the return of Italics

Post 12

Baron Grim

Why wait? smiley - evilgrin

Post 13

Witty Moniker

Subject line corrected. smiley - ok

Although I was sorely tempted to leave Icy's as was. smiley - evilgrin

Post 14

Icy North

If you're going to erase all evidence, then please remove my post too - you've engineered it to look as if I made some insane remark.

Post 15

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I respectfully disagree, Icy. In context -- that is, among us -- you don't look insane at all. smiley - silly

No, really, I just read the comments and it looks as if you pointed out an error.

Post 16

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Which you otherwise never do. smiley - whistle

Post 17

Icy North

No it doesn't. You changed the posts before my remark. Had you left those it would indeed look as if I'd pointed out an error.

Post 18

[Sends a toblerone to Icy out of gratitude. Correction: sends *part* of a toblerone, having eaten part of it before sending smiley - winkeye]

Post 19

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I notice the Ministry of Truth has done some historical revisionism, yes? smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

Post 20

smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more