A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Tuesday 18 October, 2011: Welcome to h2g2 in its new home

Post 21

Effers;England.

smiley - snork That's an excellent tongue twister Mags.

Yay super dooper..and I'm Effers for Halloween. (Actually Effers came about as an anagram for Halloween that Roymondo sexed up a bit a few years ago).

Fantastico. Big thank you to everyone.

'It's been emotional' smiley - winkeye

Post 22

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Jeez, that sounds worse than being put into suspenders!

Post 23

My last was in reguards to being forced into Goo, none of the coincidental smiley - simpostsmiley - simpostsmiley - simpost

Post 24

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

That can be arranged Mr. D smiley - evilgrin

Post 25

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

No, no...a Halloween prank is threatened...blue for Halloween...smiley - yikes

Post 26

The Apprentice

Welcome welcome welcome welcome! Good morning, good evening, good night...! smiley - scientist

Post 27

Websailor

smiley - bubbly Hi Team, can't thank you enough for getting this up and running and getting us all on board without too much hassle.

smiley - cheers

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 28

Pastey

The Gurus have been doing a stunning job! I don't think I'll ever be able to thank them enough.

And that's just one team! There's some serious work going on in the background while we settle in and settle down, and I'm always surprised at how dedicated people are.

smiley - rose

Post 29

Effers;England.

Tell us what are they doing.

Seriously it would be really good to know a bit more detail about what all you people are doing.

we keep hearing snippets about hours worked etc..sort of vaguaries..

But hell we love you people..tell us straight..don't be bashful..indulge us a bit and let us love you whole heartedly for your noble spirits. smiley - biggrin

Post 30

With a lot of dust (and mites) yet to shake out, how's about each group of volunteers write a nice, full account of the trials and tribulations they have dealt with? For <./>ThePost</.>, perhaps a New Year's edition when most things should be pretty well sorted and most folks back in their comfy niches?

Post 31

Pastey

The Gurus are working very hard helping people who're having trouble transferring their accounts. In some cases they're walking them through each stage (via email) checking what the user thinks they've typed, what we receive, going off into the system to find a match if the code doesn't, helping with issues in unusual browsers etc.

They're also keeping on top of all bug reports, there's a few of those. They're seeing all the reports coming in, checking to see if it's already been logged on our ticket system, and if not adding it. They're managing priorities of the bugs and feeding them through to me.

They're also doing a sterling job of reassuring people, helping them not to panic, and getting them settled. Seriously, if you know a Guru that's helped you, go thank them. We've had close to 1000 account transfers in the last couple of days and only about 15 Gurus handling any problems, In Their Spare Time. And a lot of the Gurus aren't just Gurus, they're helping out elsewhere too.

smiley - rose

Post 32

Pastey

You think we'll be settled by new year? smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin

Oh, you were serious? smiley - winkeye

smiley - rose

Post 33

I didn't mention WHICH new year now, did I? smiley - winkeye

Post 34

NexusSeven

Awesome work, all - very impressed by how smooth the transfer has seemed from the user end, given the sheer amount of data (a decade of intense forum activity!) and complicated stuff that must have needed to have been transported. Here's to the next ten years! smiley - bubbly

Post 35

U14364510

Hi can I just ask, wasn't www.h2g2.com open before I'm sure it was well before the Beeb got there grubby hands on it! And congratulations everyone who made it possible with all your hard work. Probably working 24/7 to get h2g2 back on it's feet smiley - applause and in it's rightful home back where it belongs smiley - smileysmiley - devil

Post 36

Baron Grim

Yes it was. It was owned and operated by Douglas Adams company, The Digital Village. It wasn't financially viable then so a deal was made for the BBC to purchase it and run it. I think there's a history somewhere around here, but I can't seem to find it (I think a lot of stuff is still in the moving boxes). Anyway, here's a welcome page that has some good links on it. A87709990

Post 37

U14364510

Thanks Baron ah yes Douglas Noel Adams aka DNA but im afraid i wont be stopping moderators! Get right up my nose! Anyway thanks for the info. Oh before i do go if it was already at http://www.h2g2.com why is it taking so long to move from the beeb back here? Hey good question. *Bye*

Post 38

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

It's not technically a *back* as they are different servers. All the code has to be moved from one server to the other and then it has to be checked that all works!

Post 39

Pastey

We've not been at the beeb for a few weeks now. They've kindly left a redirect in place, but we're firmly back at h2g2.com smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Post 40

U14364510

I just typed out a whole page sent it & it took me to my personal space more bugs! What i will say im not stopping the mods have followed me from the beeb! & you can keep h2 ive wiped all my PS+most of the friends+all those silly posts from others ive been a user of h2 since 2004 via digibox aka cable was Telewest then virgin media i survied SSO+ BBCiD now this all from a poxy mobile phone as someone kindly put it via opera mini4 i do have opera11 on my new upto date android HTC Salsa Smartfone G/bye Gone!

Key: Complain about this post