This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

The End of Civilisation Will Be Live-Streamed

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Back in the 1960s-1980s, science fiction writers wrote about 'the Future'. You know, the place where Criswell said we'd spend the rest of our lives.

The weirdest futures were imagined by that prophet, Philip K Dick. In his futures, appliance *talked* to you. Vehicles were self-directing and bossy. And television was everywhere, with appropriately-dressed 'news clowns'.

That future has arrived, my friends.

Today, I turned on my tablet and heard a voice. It was the voice of Alexa. She's on Fire now. She wanted me to buy something. I said no.

My cable company sent me a new router. I read the directions and made the switch. I got re-authenticated, so I could use my internet. And I discovered the new features...

I can watch TV on my computer now. I don't have to go downstairs and mess with that miserably complicated set down there. The one I never watch more than three times a year, usually when 'Sherlock' has a new episode.

I took a look at the offerings on my screen. I checked the weather in Pittsburgh, courtesy of KDKA-TV.

I passed on 'Father Knows Best' (a horror from the 1950s) and 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban' (a more recent horror). I decided to watch the Pennsylvania Electoral College, which was in session in Harrisburg.

Watching electors is like watching legislators - which is like watching paint dry while sitting beside house painters dressed in formal clothing.

'Ew,' Elektra said. 'The state capitol is amazingly ugly inside.'

I agreed. 'It looks like an Asamkirche.' It's a Beaux Arts building of exceedingly ugly excess. An Asamkirche is a church designed by Johann Nepomuk Asam, a baroque architect with no taste. Think what might happen if Liberace redecorated your bathroom, then add corkscrew marble pillars. That's an Asamkirche.

Asam loved his Munich church so much, he moved in next door and built a window into his house so he could look through it into the church sanctuary. Asam was insane. He would have liked the Harrisburg capitol.

What? Oh, the Electoral College? All 20 votes went to Mr Trump. No elector broke ranks. The assembled delegates applauded. Some people in the gallery shouted, 'Shame on you!'

All of this I could watch from my home computer thanks to my new router.

Oh, well: tonight, I can watch another episode of Philip K Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle', thanks to Amazon Prime.

Philip K Dick, thou shouldst be living with us now. At least thou wouldst have got residuals from the end of Western Civilisation.

The apocalypse will be televised and live-streamed.
smiley - dragon

Post 2

Superfrenchie

"The one I never watch more than three times a year, usually when 'Sherlock' has a new episode"

Did you mean "the one I watch *once every three years*, when Sherlock has a new episode" ?

Apart from that, you're spot on. smiley - ok

Post 3

smiley - rofl How true.

There's a new one on 1 January, I understand.

Post 4

Superfrenchie

Ok, that's it. I'm staying home on my own on January 1st.

Post 5

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - laughmodern technology is great in many wayssmiley - winkeyeexcept! it don't tell how/where to get the money to pay/subscribe/purchase the stuff smiley - laugh

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/end-of-the-world

I'll bet the price of tinfoil hats will go skyhigh smiley - laughsmiley - laugh
and sales of strong kitchen tables goes up as well (to dive under)smiley - biggrin

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

I wish I could make Alexa talk to me on my kindle fire tablet. It tells me to chnage my language settings to German. They already are. smiley - rolleyes

I hardly ever watch TV, although Sherlock is MUST WATCH.

I'll have to go and check for the second series of Man in the Highcastle now. Is is anywhere near as good as the first series?

Post 8

It's better. smiley - biggrin It's mind-blowing, seriously. And I do not say that lightly.

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - cool

I had added it to my watchlist when I found out there'd be a new series, so I checked that and was told it would start in January. Hmm. Then I logged in on my PC, and there I realized, I should have subscribed to 'season two', instead of 'Staffel 2'. Fortunately, I don't need to wait for the German translation.

Post 10

The German that is in the series is pretty good - although Sebastian Roche has an odd accent. smiley - winkeye

I was actually surprised, because Philip K Dick wrote his novels using very bad German. smiley - rofl I think he fell asleep in German class at Berkeley.

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

In the first series, I thought it was odd that the Germans in Germany spoke German with an accent. smiley - weird

Post 12

Strange collection of actors. smiley - rofl

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

Probably. smiley - biggrin It was great, though. I did some binge-watching. smiley - rofl

Key: Complain about this post