This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Nature Misbehaving

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Ah, spring. When we can finally look forward to fresh veg, locally grown, rather than the hothouse stuff. And when we can replace the Youtube vids of cute housepets for the real deal outside...nature in all its glory...

Be afraid. Be very afraid. If you get your ideas of nature from 'Wake Up, Baby Bunnies':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1uOOGtIqMs

You will be well shocked by the Western Pennsylvania Audubon Society's webcam. It's located in a bald eagle eyrie. Watching bald eagles may be patriotic, but it is not the feel-good exercise most armchair nature lovers imagined.

The bald eagles have baby bald eagles. And they feed them. What, you ask, do they feed them?

Well, er, baby bunnies and other titbits. But the flying predators went too far the other day. They brought home a kitteh. (Oh, noes!)

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/04/28/hays-bald-eagle-cam-catches-cat-being-fed-to-eaglets/

The Society director did point out that the cat in question appeared already to be dead, though Pittsburgh's bald eagles are now on the 'ewww!' list for many viewers. smiley - winkeye

On the home front, Elektra announced last night that we have to keep an eye on Doglet. Doglet loves to hang around campus - she prefers her walks over there, mainly because the students all miss their cats and dogs at home and give her lots of welcome loving.

At least, we THOUGHT that was why...

Elektra's always watching to make sure Doglet doesn't pick up any more chewing gum. There's strange-coloured chewing gum on the sidewalks over there. But last evening, apparently, there was worse. Much worse...

'She picked up a joint,' said Elektra.

'I'm assuming you don't mean mutton?' I replied.

'I yelled 'Drop that right now!' and she did.'

Ah, modern life....what's worse, nature, science, or college students? Clean up your acts, you're a bad influence on my dog.

smiley - dragon

Nature Misbehaving

Post 2

ITIWBS

Wilderness survival fundamentals:

Cardinal point # 1:

Never leave an infant child, unprotected by a responsible adult, out of doors in a wilderness area, even for an instant.

smiley - dontpanic

Just don't on any account do it.

On small pets, see also the cat abduction scene from the film "Surviving Picasso"

Readings from Farley Mowat, for example, "Owls In The Family" are also relevant.

Nature Misbehaving

Post 3

Thank you, ITI. I was sure we could count on you for sound advice on how to behave outdoors. smiley - winkeye

Nature Misbehaving

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Students, pah. Youth is wasted on the young smiley - rolleyes

Nature Misbehaving

Post 5

smiley - snork

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more