This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Freebie Reading Tip: Five Minutes and a Tear

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

...is what it'll cost you.

http://observer.com/2016/01/what-i-learned-from-the-man-who-started-at-me-on-the-train/

I stumbled across this little essay while I was pursuing another tip on a completely different topic.

h2g2 writers, note: I clicked to read it because of the title. Titles matter.

This is a perfect little essay: it tells you just what you need to know to appreciate the story. And it stops you dead in your tracks with an observation about life, the universe, and everything. You shed a tear - just one - and then you think, 'How kind of you to share that.'

Now, that's what we want to do. smiley - winkeye

They must be doing something right with that Creative Writing program at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. But then, North Carolina produces good writers. Of course! Clyde Edgerton's on the faculty. And Edgerton is one of the greatest novelists you've never heard of.

He wrote 'Walking Across Egypt', a very funny book which was made into a film. He also wrote 'Killer Diller', which is even funnier. I think that's the one with the would-be Satanist teenagers who sacrifice Vienna sausages... (You have to be Southern, VYE-enna sausages are little tinned frankfurters, and lord knows what the Prince of Darkness would make of them, other than forcefeeding them to evil chefs in the afterlife)...

Read this essay. Then maybe go find some Clyde Edgerton. Anyway, have a good day. And think about writing something similar for Create. Distilling a memory is good mental exercise. It will hone your communications skills. And it's a kind act, as well - who knows who might benefit from your experience?

smiley - dragon

Post 2

Vip

"I could have told him I loved him because in that moment, I did, because seeing anyone so clearly, having so little standing between you and another human being is exactly what love is."

Gosh, I love that phrase. That resonates very deeply in me. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Yeah, that was well put. smiley - smiley

Post 4

ITIWBS

Strongly reminded me of two past relationships.

Notes on Vienna sausages: with my first taste at the age of 2 1/2 years, I thought they were ambrosiacal.

In adult life, a tin of seven 2 inch x 1/2 dia. Vienna sausages usually leaves me craving more.

A second tin usually leaves me feeling a little sick from too much rich food.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more