This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Are you ready for NaJoPoMo? It starts tomorrow. (US citizens, take note: you have one extra hour to prepare, as the clocks are going back tonight, as soon as the trick-or-treaters leave.)

My starter A-space will be at A87862242. It's also the archive page for the NaJoPoMo journal, which this year is called 'Freebie Film Tips #3'.

How startlingly original of me. smiley - rolleyes

However, I've got some good films and surprising short subjects lined up...something for everyone, promise. smiley - winkeye

smiley - dragon

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 2

First entry at A87862323

smiley - dragon

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

*note to self--watch today's clips when there's time*

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 4

smiley - ok Thanks for reading, Amy.

Today's entry: A87862396 - Freebie Film Tip #2: The Prophet, the Gold, and the Transylvanians

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 5

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - ok

I usually just read your descriptions (entertaining in themselves) because I rarely watch clips--a holdover from when I had a computer that couldn't handle video. But yesterday's clips sound like a must-watch.

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 6

Thanks, Amy. smiley - smiley

I'm hoping the archive will mean that people have the links on tap for a rainy day, when they might be bored enough to want to watch them...

After all, that's mostly how I find the films. smiley - laugh

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 7

coelacanth

I just clicked on a couple of parts of The Prophet... from the youtube link you added. The Close Caption subtitles are wonderfully eccentric! They are not very close to the English spoken, perhaps they're the on screen subtitles run through a translator. Do they bear any resemblance to the actual dialogue when it's in Romanian?
smiley - bluefish

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 8

Ah, I see! smiley - eureka Those 'auto-generated' subtitles are, indeed, rare and wonderful, aren't they? smiley - rofl

The Romanian ones are actually good, but they're only translating the English dialogue, unfortunately...

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 9

Today's entry: A87862585 - CSA: Confederate States of America.

A mockumentary. Plus some Joan Baez music.

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 10

This one, I've actually seen.

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 11

Did you like it? smiley - bigeyes

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 12

I don't think we finished it--we stumbled upon it one night on Netflix when we were wanting brainless fluff, so 'twasn't quite what we were looking for smiley - laugh

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 13

Staying to the end nets you two good things: the part where the imaginary Confederate Fauntroy gets his comeuppance, and the part where they show people that all those commercials were based on REAL products.

But you're right - if you were up for brainless fluff, you'd probably rather watch the Transylvanians. smiley - winkeye

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 14

Today's tip: The Missiles of October - A87862648

Learn more than you ever wanted to know about the Cuban Missile Crisis, and sing along with Tom Lehrer.

smiley - dragon

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 15

[Amy P]

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 16

Today's tip: A87862684 - The Great Bank Robbery, Communist Style

Yes, somebody robbed the Romanian National Bank. But why? What could you do with 1.6 million lei?

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 17

Icy North

Buy a whole week's supply of potatoes?

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 18

smiley - rofl Nah. Potatoes are local. A whole week's worth cost maybe 50 lei...I've shopped in that economy.

The thing about soft currencies was, you could easily afford the necessities - IF you could find them. Same as Greece in the old days: a dinner fit for a king cost a pittance. But you could not afford to buy, say, a tape player.

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 19

Ah, a mention of my notorious 6th cousin. I'll let you figure out who (though it should be simple, unlike an Icy quizsmiley - winkeye)

NaJoPoMo Coming Up

Post 20

You're related to Jesse James? smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more