This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

RADA and Indians and a Bear, Oh My

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Netflix didn't steer us wrong last night. They recommended we watch 'Windwalker', a 1980 film starring Trevor Howard, James Remar, and a lot of American Indian actors.

You might be thinking, 'Where have you been? I've known about this for years.' If so, excuse my gushing. If you haven't seen it, though, get it. It's a real treat. Billed as 'a movie about Indians - and not one cowboy!' Yay. The story's set out West in the 18th Century, hence the absence of annoying John Wayne types.

Trevor Howard is amazing as the elderly Windwalker, a Cheyenne whose journey is full of magical realism. The RADA-trained actor does an impressive job, especially considering that he's acting in a foreign language. Except for the voice-over narration in English, the film is completely in Cheyenne and Crow, with subtitles. James Remar gives a stellar performance as the younger version of Windwalker, an enthusiastic young husband and father.

The landscape, of course, is breathtaking. But the whole show is stolen by about a dozen American Indian kids. The adult actors are completely eclipsed onscreen by these natural performers. Watching the little girl feed jerky to the captive Crow warrior...pure bliss. Think of the way you felt about the natural talents of Bushmen when viewing 'The Gods Must Be Crazy'...

The adult cast are also marvellous. Be sure you read the cast list. One actor rejoices in the glorious name of Marvin Takes Horse. If he's the person whose obit I found in the Billings, Montana, Gazette, he was a Marine veteran and former Golden Gloves boxing champion. He was raised by a man named Sam Bird in Ground. Why doesn't everybody have beautiful names like that?

Mention must also go to another outstanding actor in the film, Bart the Bear. Imdb informs us that Bart, whose 20-year film career included many famous productions, usually played the part of 'The Bear'. He was a 9-foot 6-inch Kodiak bear, although he was often cast against type as an ordinary brown bear. I believe he even got to intimidate Anthony Hopkins, so he acted with some top talent.

The story in this film is riveting. It concerns a Cheyenne family who are menaced by Crow warriors. I don't want to give the plot away, it's too good for that. But as I watched, I kept thinking: this reminds me of a Norse saga. I could just see Ingmar Bergman tackling these themes...etc, etc. Afterward, I discovered that the film was based on a novel by Utah writer Blaine Yorgason.

Aha! Such themes are universal. And it's honest. After all, Stith Thompson, the American folklorist and co-author of the great Index of Folklore Motifs, wrote his dissertation on 'European Borrowings and Parallels in North American Indian Tales.' Those Norwegian lumberjacks did more than fell trees - they shared their stories with the tribes over there.

So, watch this film if you can. Or rewatch it, if you have already. It's on US Netflix these days. Youtube will show it to you if you pay them $2.99. If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can watch it for free.

Here's a clip, worth it for the buffalo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdqegU6xfnE

And yes, Trevor Howard DOES say, 'It's a good day to die.' But later, the grandkids say, 'Maybe it wasn't a good day to die after all?' smiley - winkeye

smiley - dragon

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - smileyduly noted

Post 3

cactuscafe

Never heard of this extraordinary sounding masterpiece. Excellent write up! I'm convinced that your descriptions of films are better than the actual event smiley - rofl. You are my cinema!

That would be a good last words, 'you are my cinema!' ..

but I digress...

Wait a minute, Trevor Howard??

It's because I was watching him a few nights ago in Brief Encounter. smiley - rofl Difficult to adapt to him starring in Windwalker, after seeing him falling in love with Celia Johnson in the Refreshment Room of Milford railway station, but ahh such is the wonderful nature of actors.

Excellent. I shall watch this film.

You are my cinema!! smiley - kiss

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

You'll love 'Windwalker'!

And I loved 'Brief Encounter' - what a great film. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more