This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Life in the Snowy Boondocks

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

This is a beautiful little town. Think Mayberry. It would be even more beautiful, in my humble opinion, were it not currently buried under several FEET of snow.

More of which fell this morning - though, thankfully, only about an inch. A light dusting, here.

You know that sense of awed wonder you feel as a child when it snows? This disappears quickly when the sight of snowflakes means one thing: snow shovels in your future.

My greatniece and greatnephew thought the best feature of this house was that we had...wait for it...

A Harry Potter closet. We decided to keep our extra wands and magick books in it. smiley - wizard

The worst feature? Upstairs rooms with low ceilings. Elektra can put her hand on them. Our box springs wouldn't go up the stairs... however, the house warms up easily. These people obviously built on the model of Rekjavik: snug and small.

Elektra's convinced they were Scandinavians. Some of the kitchen cupboards are too high, even for her to reach. I see ladders in our future...

So, greetings from the snowy forests of Penn's Woods. I hope the rest of you are all snug.

smiley - dragon

Post 2

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Sounds like a very nice house. smiley - smiley

As far as I remember in the house of Mala's parents even her stepfather can touch the ceiling on the upper floor, and they claim he's a Hobbit. smiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

I loved shoveling snow when I was a kid. Today I think the really difficult thing is getting it off the car. Especially if you are small.

Post 3

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

talk about the twilight zonesmiley - biggrinas I was going downstairs this morning, I was saying to myself - "down in the boondocks" not seeing this thread previously

Post 4

smiley - weird, Prof!

Yeah, Tav - it's like that. smiley - laugh

Post 5

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - wahcan't do it with future lottery win numbers thoughsmiley - laugh

Post 6

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

This thread made me touch the ceiling smiley - biggrin

Easy enough upstairs, impossible downstairs. I think they knew what they were doing when they built this house in 1898 smiley - geek

Hope you get used to your new surroundings, Elektra and Dmitri smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

PS: Boondocks is a very interesting word, by the way smiley - geek

Post 7

FWR

Is that the same penns wood as the wine? Mmmmm, enjoy your new home!smiley - cheers

Post 8

ITIWBS

'Boondocks', apparently derived from the Tagalog 'bundok', adopted into American English during the American occupation of the Phillipines, for 'mountain', or remote hill country.

smiley - biggrinTaken that last way, I guess its pertinent with respect to the entirety of Appalachia.

Post 9

smiley - rofl to all of you.

Key: Complain about this post