This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Freebie Reading Tip: A Bit of Psychology

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Do you like detective stories? I suspect you might, now and again.

What do they say about us? What do they reveal about our society, its fears and hopes?

I've just run across an elegant little essay, from the online version of 'Psychology Today'. The article, by a psychologist, examines the popularity of the series 'Dexter', about a very sympathetic psychopathic serial killer, and modern experience of PTSD, war, and the fear of terrorism. I think it's worth a read. Very thoughtful essay, and well done.

Here it is, with hopes that it's internationally available:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-dawn/201202/being-dexter-morgan

I appreciate the psychologist's personal touches, such as his letting us in on his experiences with mosquitoes and salmon packing. It contextualises the argument nicely.

Yep, we need to think about these things. As the author would put it, just saying...

smiley - dragon

Post 2

Willem

Hi Dmitri! Thanks a lot for this link, I did enjoy reading it and found it very interesting. But if I have a criticism ... it would be that all over the world things are actually very much worse in terms of what is going on, just how much and badly people are hurting other people, not to mention other things, and how they justify it to themselves.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more