This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Insidious Mind Control Experiment

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Sometimes you get paranoid. But paranoid people *could* be right occasionally, don't you think?

Like that old joke about the stopped clock? It's right twice a day...

Well, anyway. I've just become convinced that the manufacturers of computers have figured out a way to tap into our mental processes and use our restlessness, laziness, and short attention spans to worm into our subconsciousnesses.

I think the little freebie computer games are changing the way we *think*.

Take the Freecell.

This form of online solitaire ostensibly provides something for your idle hands and eyes to do while waiting for an email reply or phone call. It's harmless, right? But notice...

The old XP version kept statistics. It was possible to check those statistics, but it wasn't necessary. Every once in a while, I'd absently note that I had a pretty respectable score; about 96% success rate.

Then came Vista, for a bit. Vista's Freecell games couldn't actually be lost. All you had to do was backtrack until you figured out where you'd gone wrong. No point in checking the statistics, either.

Obviously, this didn't suit the behavioural scientists behind the computer games. They weren't getting any results. So they changed it again.

Windows 8's Freecell has the statistics up front on the app. To start a new game, you have to look RIGHT AT the box with the statistics on them.

More insidiously, they've added a NEW statistic: time elapsed. Yes, you now know the fastest time you've ever clocked in solving a Freecell puzzle, so you have an added incentive to be fast and get back to work, presumably.

My record time is 1:43. I did that without realising. Oh, darn. I'll never match that. But that's not what's alarming.

Somewhere in my subconscious, my brain has *taught itself how to do this*. Align playing cards in order. Sort piles, faster and faster. Why???

To suit the demands of some invisible behavioural scientist, that's why. I have no idea what their evil scheme is. But I know they have one. Someday, it will become clear why they've programmed every computer user on the planet to sort cards. Until then, we live in a fool's paradise. We think we're playing.

Why don't I ignore the app? Because playing Angry Birds gives me an ache in my forearm muscles. Although those green pigs are so tempting...

Oh, and my success rate is 100%. I did manage to lose one at the beginning, but the statistical counter forgave that after the first 200 games. I guess it's too lazy to count the percentage any more...or else that's part of the psychological conditioning...

smiley - dragon

Post 2

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

My stopped clock is only right once a day smiley - geek

But smiley - dontpanic I'm not going to smiley - yikes this thread over that smiley - biggrin

Once the smiley - mousesmiley - esuom are reading this you will have far bigger problems on your hands. You're not supposed to see through their schemes like this, you know smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

Post 3

smiley - rofl

Post 4

Icy North

My stopped clock was never right after one of the hands fell off.

There, don't say I don't post profound things once in a while.

Post 5

smiley - rofl Let's see what the smiley - mousesmiley - esuom make of *that*.

Post 6

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Meanwhile. in a disused warehouse, full of empty cardboard boxes, sits an exquistly ordered set of playing cards...... For how long has it sat there..... waiting... and waiting.... until the time is right..... on the stopped watch..... when day becomes..... day... or night... smiley - zensmiley - ufo Its almost certainly tied up in some inextricible way with the voices they put in our heads, from the mobile phone signals only our tin foil hats can protect us now smiley - zen

Post 7

Thank heaven for the tinfoil hats. smiley - angel

Even if we have no smiley.

Post 8

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"they" stopped trying to brainwash mesmiley - biggrin "they" couldn't find a suitable detergent

Post 9

'They' couldn't find a brain to wash...smiley - run

Post 10

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

aw! that was going to be my next post smiley - whistlesmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

Post 11

smiley - evilgrin

Post 12

actually! mine is still in the shrink-wrap and I've not been able to work out how to get to itsmiley - laughsmiley - laughtherefore! untouched by human hands smiley - biggrin

Post 13

Icy North

My parents were cruel - If I didn't speak properly they would wash my mouth out with soup.

Hang on, that's not right.

My parents were gruel. Won ton gruelty, it was, from broth of them. I quickly learned my alphabet, for starters.

Post 14

smiley - rofl nice one Icysmiley - smiley

Post 15

smiley - snork

Post 16

ITIWBS

When is the click guilty of a misdemeanor?

When the clock strikes one.smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Icy North

I offered my wife a cheese straw I'd made (illustrative link follows):

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/1253907792344.jpg

Well, she wouldn't take one. Why? "Because it's twirly", she said.

"I thought you liked them like that... Hang on, here's a straighter one, how about this?"

"No", she says, "It's still twirly".

"This one's absolutely straight as a die - you could use it as a ruler! How about this one?"

"No," she says, "I told you it's twirly - It's only half past six."

Post 18

smiley - rofl

I think the mind control is working...

Post 19

Good one, Icy smiley - ok

My regards to the missus

smiley - pirate

Post 20

Oops, forgot to mention I quoted you in the pun thread

Let's call it QOTD smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more