This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Daydream Journal

Post 4501

minorvogonpoet

We went for a walk in Ashdown Forest but, when we got there it was foggy. We set out anyway, our vision limited to a few yards of muddy path, gorse bushes and occasional trees. It was quite spooky to see the occasional dog walkers appearing out of the murk. We made it to a clump of pines, then turned right and followed a wide ride until we reached a stream. By following the stream we made it back to the road and the car park.

Daydream Journal

Post 4502

cactuscafe

Morning all! That sounds quite spooky, mvp. smiley - ghost Fog is strange, the way that it shrouds everything and reality looks weird.

You were very clever to track your way back.

Must get back to Ashdown Forest one day.

First sign in to hootoo from an Android device. So forgive peculiar typing. Also I can't type so fast at the moment smiley - rofl so I will be brief, concise and almost intelligent. Haha These pop up keyboards are not so good for trained typists. I have to forget a lifetimes's work and tippety tap with the fingertips, so I tend to type in strange languages, haha as if that's new.

Just back from a magnificent trip to Cornwall with my niece. We hiked and sat in cafes doing writings and gazing at the world through a very fine haze of Cornish cider. smiley - cidersmiley - cider

smiley - coffee

Daydream Journal

Post 4503

Willem

Hi folks! Over here, I've been watching the house of my friend the preacher, while he and his wife were in Pretoria, her being very sick. I went every day to check, usually in the afternoon. Well, in spite of my watch, it got burgled! Happened one morning, the alarm went off and the security people went there - they were quite quick - but when they arrived, it was already too late. Took the TV set and the desktop computer. I helped the police and detectives, stating what I knew of what happened. But it was a bit of a nasty thing.

Daydream Journal

Post 4504

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Oh gosh, Willem---they sounded like a professional gang to me---being in and out so fast. I hope your friend had insurance and I'm glad you weren't there any fast lest they had done you some harm.

Daydream Journal

Post 4505

Gingersnapper+Keeper of the Cookie Jar and Stuff and Nonsense

~ So Sad ~ to read such bad news ~ So Sad ~

Daydream Journal

Post 4506

minorvogonpoet

So sorry about the burglary. smiley - hug

Daydream Journal

Post 4507

cactuscafe

Yes, sorry to hear about that, Willem. Not a good feeling. smiley - kiss Happened to my bro once. Our parents were on holiday, he was keeping an eye on their house. The one afternoon that he was elsewhere on business, the place was burgled.

Take care dear fellow.

I had my bank card nicked out of my bag a few months go, and even though I could void it straight away, I still felt really violated, all my psychic boundaries were sensitive for weeks after.

smiley - redwine

Ooh I just found the wiggly dash that Gingersnapper used.

~ I like it. I fact I think I love it ~

I must have a wiggly dash on my laptop keyboard, but somehow when one is in unfamiliar territory things like wiggly dashes seem like a new language.

I do have this idea that my finest work doth lurk within the confines of my phone. smiley - rofl

I need cake. smiley - cakesmiley - cake

No, more like supper.

Daydream Journal

Post 4508

minorvogonpoet

I was cross when I found our laptop doesn't have a £ sign on its keyboard. You can do $ but not £. Give us back our ££££!

Daydream Journal

Post 4509

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Can you switch the keyboards on your computer? I can toggle mine between English and German ß äöü.

Daydream Journal

Post 4510

minorvogonpoet

Switch keyboards? smiley - doh

Daydream Journal

Post 4511

Somewhere on your computer, there's a language preference setting. It's possible to set your computer so that toggling changes the values of the keys.

In other words, you don't change physical keyboards unless you want to - but you change what character shows up when you press the key.

So if I'm on ENG, pressing ; gives me just that. But if I'm on DEU, pressing ; gives me ö.

Daydream Journal

Post 4512

cactuscafe

Really? That's amazing. I never heard of this. Have to go into my keyboard settings and check it out. This could get interesting. smiley - rofl

smiley - redwine

Be good if one could command a key to write a creative masterwork. Oh, you do already? heheh.

Like, press the A and the novel writes itself, like invisible fingers tapping over the keys.

Press the Z and the ? together, and peculiar galaxies appear on the screen.

This could make a good story!

Sort of.

Not.

smiley - redwine

I typed an entire email from a cafe on my Android tablet today without making one typo. I'm evolving. OK, I got pain aux raisins crumbs all over it, but hey ...

Daydream Journal

Post 4513

ITIWBS

At least for android, this is a useful program that allows one to shift easily between keyboards.

http://www.apk4fun.com/apk/1647/

For Unix and Linux distributions, this one provides a Galaxies screensaver.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Debian%20Galaxy?content=71961

What operating system are you using?

Daydream Journal

Post 4514

minorvogonpoet

If you want an entry for February's Create theme 'Tears in the Rain',
I've put one on the AWW. A87866914

Daydream Journal

Post 4515

Thank you! smiley - hug

Daydream Journal

Post 4516

cactuscafe

These look like interesting Android set up options for Android, ITI, thanks!

Laptop is Windows, I was just in the keyboard settings earlier. All looks potentially most interesting.

I probably won't get much further than writing absurd stories in my head about Magic Keys that type an entire novel by themselves. smiley - rofl.

Our tech guy was working on our laptops today, but he was at home, a few miles away, accessing our laptops remotely through TeamViewer. I was watching two screens being moved around by an invisible force.

I couldn't give the invisible force a cup of tea though. smiley - tea That's the only snag with remote access. smiley - rofl

Daydream Journal

Post 4517

cactuscafe

Ooooh, mvp's being creative!! Excellent!!

Will check it out later because have to present myself for evening drinkies. smiley - redwine

Thanks mvp! Tears in the Rain. Nice theme.

Daydream Journal

Post 4518

cactuscafe

There can't be many people who have, quite by chance, seen their brother drop in from 1,000 feet and say 'hello'.

mvp said that.

Quite so! And what a fine sentence to end a piece with!

I love it, mvp! Very moving story, very atmospheric, and descriptive.

smiley - redwine

I love watching the hang gliders on the Downs. We see them near Beddingham, when travelling on the A27 from Brighton to Eastbourne.

smiley - redwine

One of my most vivid childhood memories is lunch picnics on The Downs, with my Gran and younger brother. No one else was allowed to come. It was a very exclusive club. smiley - rofl.

We'd turn up Bo Beep lane, (always loved that name) at Selmeston, and drive to an old chalk quarry.

Picnic in the quarry. White rolls filled with 'pink meat'. This must have been some kind luncheon meat, one of these 60s foods, very pink. Seriously pink. smiley - rofl.

Then we'd drive up a little road to the top edge of the quarry, where there was a gliding school, and watch the gliders. Not hang gliding, don't think it was invented then, but the gliders were magic. smiley - magic I thought they were angels. Of course.

smiley - redwine

I wonder is there still a gliding school at the end of Bo Beep lane?

(that would make a good last words) smiley - rofl

(The last thing she said before staring into the distant horizon. She spoke no more).

smiley - redwine

Daydream Journal

Post 4519

Watch for the 15 February issue of smiley - thepost.

You will find hang gliding, teenage boys and their highjinks on a Florida island, and strange doings on the earth and the moon, simultaneously. smiley - winkeye

And that's just the Create Stuff...

The 8 February issue will be pretty good, too. smiley - laugh Quentin Crisp is mentioned, and there's somebody who lived on a sailboat...smiley - whistle

You have to keep up with the stories.

Daydream Journal

Post 4520

Willem

Hi folks! This weekend I've been on a bird watching outing. It's around a small village not far from Polokwane. Bird-wise it went well, I saw four 'lifers' (new species for me) including the endangered white-bellied korhaans (a small bustard). Also there were grim reminders how hard the local population has been hit by the drought ... bones and carcasses lying all around, mostly cattle, but also a skull that might be from a dog or a jackal.

Key: Complain about this post