This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Daydream Journal

Post 3461

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Attention all DayDreamers who enjoy music, there is a site called the Music Vault that contains live performances and some entire concerts by popular musicians from the 70's ,80's and 90's in case you are being so last millenium about it:

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCwXWdQplS9iGCr1ivXHcJg

Daydream Journal

Post 3462

minorvogonpoet

Thanks for the congratulations, Stone Art. smiley - smiley My son's Phd is actually in computer science and is far too complicated for me to understand. smiley - doh

We didn't have sundials in our garden when I was a child but we had a boat. A real sailing boat. And no, we didn't live by a river. The boat lived on a trailer and had to be towed to the sea, or, to be more precise, the Thames estuary. Where it spent most of its time stuck on the mud.

Then my father built a folding caravan that really folded and towed it to France. I have a memory of trying to put this caravan up on a campsite somewhere while everyone gathered round and watched. All the packets and jars that my mother had carefully packed had fallen out of their cupboards, come open and mixed on the floor. smiley - sadface

Daydream Journal

Post 3463

cactuscafe

Hah! and yes. smiley - kiss

The Music Vault looks pretty amazing, Elektra! Thanks! I'll be in there, checking out the treasure.

I'm just sooo last millenium. I just said that because you said it, and the expression is funny. smiley - musicalnote heheh. Even though I am sooo last millenium.

smiley - redwine

There was a great prog on TV last night about songs that were banned from the BBC over the years, all the best stuff of course. The Kinks singing Lola, Scott Walker singing Jackie, Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg singing Je T'aime.

I remember hearing Je T'aime at boarding school, in about 1969. Our weekly treat was watching Top of the Pops on TV. How risque was that?? smiley - rofl Anyway, Je T'aime really was a bit risque, them getting all breathy and ooooooh la la.

smiley - redwine

Ahhh writerlady being evocative here. Wonderful descriptions, mvp. A folding caravan?? How small did it fold? That's incredible.

I can so imagine that boat.

smiley - redwine

Ah yes, sundials. heheh. No way, Gnomon, really?

A558353

Gnomon is the name of the thingy that makes the shadow?? smiley - rofl Well, there you go then.

Well, I wouldn't rely on the dial to catch a train, for sure, but I just lerv that shadowy time shadow. Tomorrow I'll go greet the gnomon. smiley - rofl.

smiley - redwine

Daydream Journal

Post 3464

cactuscafe

PS Who saw that supermoon rising last night? smiley - fullmoon Amazing. I saw it rising over the yard. There was a funny moth fluttering around my oregano plant. I think it was Peanut in shapeshift mode.

Daydream Journal

Post 3465

ITIWBS

The moonrise was fantastic here as well in southern California, so brilliant I could see the glare from it from the north facing front porch when I stepped out to do some late watering, even though it was behind the house.

Daydream Journal

Post 3466

cactuscafe

That's amazing, ITIWBS. smiley - fullmoon. Moonrise in California. I love that, same moon, despite the miles between us. El mundo es grande but not really, not to the moon it isn't.

Daydream Journal

Post 3467

ITIWBS

Best guess, some unusual solar flare activity.

Certainly looks it in the NASA space weather material I was just looking at, though I find I'm going to need to do some homework before I completely understand their reporting system.

Daydream Journal

Post 3468

Peanut

I like that cc, I didn't see the moon rise but did see it over night, didn't know it was a supermoon, called up to Hiccup to say cracking moon outside look out your window

Would be taking my life in to my hand to shapeshift to moth here. I am deliberately leaving the lights on in the kitchen and hall downstairs

One moth all night.

I think I have mentioned the lack of butterflies for us this year, also same for the moths. smiley - wah

Got to dash there is some owl action going on other tab

smiley - kisssmiley - kiss

smiley - moonsmiley - starsmiley - star

Daydream Journal

Post 3469

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Happy smiley - mooning, you folk!

Daydream Journal

Post 3470

Peanut

smiley - snork and to you Dmitri smiley - biggrin

Daydream Journal

Post 3471

cactuscafe

heheh. smiley - moonsmiley - rofl. Thankyou Mister D. smiley - kiss And to you also. smiley - rofl

smiley - moonsmiley - footballsmiley - moonsmiley - footballsmiley - moonsmiley - football

smiley - footballsmiley - football Yeeep! smiley - boing Germany tonight then! Let's give Bel a smiley - cider or ten.

smiley - teasmiley - cider

Hah! Dear Peanut is here smiley - kisssmiley - tea

(hangs around by the urn of Perculiar waiting for a supermoon deluxe brew) smiley - tea

I knew it was you in moth guise, trying to lure the moths to return.

smiley - tea

Can you get moondials? I need a supermoon dial. smiley - moon I think I might go check the sundial tonight, just in case I see a moonshadow moonshadow smiley - musicalnote.

Can you get marsdials? smiley - mars

And if I should see a perculiar moth fluttering over the gnomon.... the what?? see essay by hootoo researcher.

smiley - tea

Been rootling in my computer photo files. I just found this image I made, way back when. It needs a context, a text and a purpose. It looks like sandunes gone weird, in a filmic format.

Does anyone want to collaborate with me, like make a story from pics? Like, add text. And more pics. Like Mister D and I did. Or do. Hint hint.

I've got so many experimental bits and pieces in my photo file. If I could post them here, we could write a collaborated on the spot (or on the stripe) work of genius.

Is there a hootoo image bargain basement? I need to put my weird sandunes in an orange plastic bucket underneath some moth eaten jerseys.

Moth eaten?? Moths!

Daydream Journal

Post 3472

U14993989

Dial M for the Supermoon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-28283564

It is said that the Earth is part of a binary planetary system. The moon helps stabilise the Earth's spin preventing a chaotic precessional wobble which some claim would have prevented much evolution of life forms on earth. It is also believed to be made primary of the earth's crust, ejected in some early solar system collision, which left the earth itself with a thin crust. Without this thin crust we wouldn't have plate tectonics and the movement of the continents etc, which is believed also to have been key in the evolution of life.

Hence from the initial belief that only mortal "life" existed on earth, to the more enlightened belief that every star likely had life in orbit around it, current thinking suggests that life elsewhere is rare ... and intelligent life ... who knows whether it exists at all smiley - shrug

I think therefore the thought that I think exists.

Daydream Journal

Post 3473

cactuscafe

Dial wow! for supermoon pics!

Hmm, interesting, SA. I never knew about the wobble. Or the potential wobble, if it weren't for the moon.

Thanks moon! smiley - moonsmiley - moonsmiley - moonsmiley - moonsmiley - moon

Yes. Is their life beyond my marsdial. smiley - mars The shadow tells me all. smiley - rofl. I think there might be a sonic crust. More like an energy field. What??? A sonic energy crust. Around my toast. Or even around the earth. smiley - earth And maybe around some other other planets and stars. A sort of like psychic liquistic sonic crust. Like a deep hum.

OK, I think I'm having a flaky wobble. smiley - rofl. Of course, I did have a dream last night about floating sonic pizzas, which was unusual. So I made some photos today of a ketchup bottle. Not that I eat ketchup with pizza.

End of incredibly interesting posting.

smiley - roflsmiley - football Yay! smiley - footballsmiley - cider

Daydream Journal

Post 3474

minorvogonpoet

floating sonic pizzas? smiley - erm Are these the orgins of many flying saucer myths? smiley - laugh

Daydream Journal

Post 3475

U14993989

... or even flying tomato sauce myths smiley - tomato

Daydream Journal

Post 3476

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl

Yes, a spaceship named Margherita. smiley - rofl

With plenty ketchup in the cupboard. And baked beans. And five labradors. smiley - dog. Nice open fire. A couple of acres on the roof.

What?? My associations have gone a bit random at the moment. Erm, as if they weren't always ... haha.

I've been making weird stories from photo fragments I've found in my photo file. It has sent me funny.

Interesting, though. Acres on the roof. I saw a great programme on TV the other night about these two lovely women who live in an eco house on Skye. There's turf on the roof. The roof is like a pasture. They got the idea from the houses at the Findhorn community. There was footage of this fellow mowing his roof. That's weird eh? Sunday afternoon, just off to mow the roof.

Daydream Journal

Post 3477

cactuscafe

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnote

Just making some notes. haha.

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnote

It's sooo hot! Swam in the sea for at least twenty minutes the other day, which is a long time for British waters. And the predicted jellyfish haven't arrived. Never trust a predicted jellyfish. They have prophetic powers.

smiley - huh

Saw a huge fire yesterday. Scary. Black smoke, big flames. In a scrap car yard, in a village called Woodbury in East Devon. No one injured, but people who lived nearby had to leave their homes, and sleep in the village hall. Fire is so wild. I had to have a brandy, and think about the wildness of fire.

Daydream Journal

Post 3478

cactuscafe

I love this.

Despite all the troubles in the world, there is still extraordinary and quirky wonder. smiley - rofl

So, in 1997, a container ship bound for New York gets rocked by an unusual wave, and 62 containers of Lego go overboard, near Lands End in Cornwall. All these years later, little plastic daisies and dragons and cutlasses and octopuses are being found on beaches in Cornwall, but also over the Atlantic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28367198

I love the last sentence. Quoting from the piece here....

"Tracking currents is like tracking ghosts - you can't see them. You can only see where flotsam started and where it ended up."

I could base my life and inspiration around that sentence. My entire artistic career could go overboard, like a crate of Lego. In a good way.

Flotsam and jetsam. What's the difference? I must find out.

Daydream Journal

Post 3479

U14993989

Plastic in the ocean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch

Daydream Journal

Post 3480

cactuscafe

hmm yes, the shadow side of the Lego. The green dragon returns to haunt. However, imagine a world without Lego. Of course, it's a disaster that it ended up in the ocean, but it's paradoxical. I think. If I found a green dragon on the beach, I'd put it in my pocket. And treasure it.

Ooops, now I've upset the eco people. Sorry SA. I'm always upsetting eco people. I do think a bit of balance is important.

The last run in I had was with someone who kept telling me how bad air travel was.

I said I don't like flying, I ride a bike. But I do have a car. And I use computer. And pencils. And paper. Aaaargh! So then he said I was destroying the forests because I use paper. Last I heard, he had jetted off across the world, in a plane of course, to spread the word about how we are ruining the planet.

I do feel a bit stupid now though. I think I want to yikes my previous posting about the Lego. Keep the green dragons to myself.

hmm

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for cactuscafe

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more