A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Any New Year's Resolutions?

Post 41

ITIWBS

Strange how my mind goes totally blank and fuzzy when I try to think of possible New Years resolutions.

Post 42

ITIWBS

I'll have to remember that if I need a mental block for some reason.

Post 43

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

January's the worst possible month for resolutions. Winter is the season of death and doom, a season that can only be survived (if that), not used as motivation for improvement. I don't bother thinking about the future until I see the tender, hopeful green shoots of April.

Post 44

Baron Grim

If good things come to those who wait, why is procrastination considered a bad thing?

Post 45

Pink Paisley

I'll get back to you on that.

PP.

Post 46

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Exactly!

Post 47

smiley - blush

If any green shoots start coming out of *me*, I may get a bit worried, though. smiley - yikes

Post 48

Bluebottle

Sounds like there may be excessive roughage in your diet…

<BB<

Post 49

I said "if". No green shoots yet.....

Post 50

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

My bionic ears help to contain any sproutings, or oozing from eating too much of something very yummy.

Post 51

I'd be interested in finding bionic ears in a cornfield.

Post 52

Bluebottle

I read in a paper today that today is the day when people are most likely to give up their resolutions. I wonder how true that is?

<BB<

Post 53

broelan

Well, if you're a liberal American and your resolution was to quit drinking this year, I would imagine that would go right out the window today.

Post 54

Bluebottle

That reminds me – I know a few people who are doing 'Dry January'. Is that replacing New Year's Resolutions, where instead of deciding on something to change your life forever, you give something up for a month? Are there any other month-long events people do? (I've heard of Fanuary to raise awareness/money for cancer, not sure about the success rate on raising awareness compared to Movember, which I suspect is more noticeable…)

<BB<

Post 55

Pink Paisley

I'm having a dry January and whatever it's called, January isn't really the point. I've also started on a Man v Fat programme (playing in the Luton League - 6 a side. One goal awarded for every two players who lose some weight in any given week which carry forward into your game).

On February 1st, I won't simply return to my old pattern of drinking (and eating pies) which was increasing steadily as was my weight and my chances of dying prematurely.

To date, January has seen a loss of over 10lb. I don't expect (or want) to continue to lose weight at that rate.

I had forgotten how to kick a football.

PP.

Post 56

I've forgotten why anyone would want to kick a football.smiley - biggrin

Post 57

You can call me TC

If it helps you lose 10 lbs, surely that's reason enough.

Post 58

smiley - doh

Sorry, my lack of experience with football-kicking kept me from realizing that smiley - blush.

Post 59

smiley - lurk

Post 60

Bluebottle

Makes sense to me to kick something that won't kick you back smiley - football

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more