A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you ever lie about your age?

Post 1

KB

Do you ever tell people you're younger (or older) than you are?

If so on what occasions? Is it just out of vanity?

Post 2

Icy North

I don't think I've ever done that. I've never been an age person, really.

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

All the time for amusement effect. Normally when verifying who I am at the desk in hospital deparmetns, I move my year of year of birth forward from 1976 to 1996.... It useually gets a laugh smiley - snork

Post 4

Baron Grim

I've forgotten how old I was before. This isn't as difficult as you might think.

I was born a week before the new year, 1966. If I use 1966 when calculating my age I'd get it wrong by a year 51 months of the year. So now I consider 1967 as my start date to avoid confusion.

Post 5

SiliconDioxide

In my youth, when a bunch of us used to go to watch dog racing for entertainment, we would blag our way in to the event as under 14s and then try and get served at the bar.

That was a couple of years ago.

Post 6

KB

I actually did that myself this year. I know what year this is, obviously. And I know what year I was born, of course. But it's been so long since I subtracted one from the other, that when I did I found out I am actually one year older than I thought.

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I've never seen any need to lie about my age.

Post 8

swl

I don't lie. I frequently get it wrong though.

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I used to get it wrong a lot, a couple years back... never quite got the grip of being either 37 or 38, and would regularly de-age myself a year or over-age myself up a year... The big supprise is this year, in a month, when I'll somehow be 40 years old... which is a bit of a shock on several levels smiley - laughsmiley - senior

Post 10

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

No.. I'm just amazed to have lived longer than either of my parents so I'm more than ready to boast about it.

smiley - bubbly

Post 11

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

An awful lot of people were born the same year I was, so being part of such a large cohort seems desirable enough to give me no qualms about admitting my age.

Post 12

swl

50 I'm guessing?

Post 13

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

The first half-dozen years with my bride, I'd shuffle my age - just to confuse her. smiley - evilgrin

Though she really shouldn't have been, we met on my 25th birthday.

Post 14

You can call me TC

BG is obviously lying about his age if he thinks there are 52 months in a year.

As for me, I have the same problem with a birthday at the end of the year. And as for calculating how old I was when I had the kids smiley - shrug

Post 15

Baron Grim

smiley - doh (_8(|)D'OH!

Post 16

I'm 68 years young. Some day they'll run out of numbers, so I'll stay at whatever age I am then. smiley - biggrin

Post 17

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I didn't do it on purpose, but the East German official at the Friedrichstrasse Bahnhof rattled me so badly that I wrote my birth year down on the form as the current year.

If you've ever been scowled at by a Communist border guard in a uniform, you'll understand. smiley - winkeye

Post 18

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

57 a week or so ago, going on 29 once more. smiley - winkeye

Post 19

I didn't know that East German guards did anything *except* scowl. smiley - winkeye

Have you ever seen the film "The lives of others"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Post 20

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - bigeyes Sounds cool.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more