A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What should Amy P eat?

Post 61

Baron Grim

Oh, I just did a websearch for travel clothesline after hearing Rick Steves mention them. Amazon has a wide selection.

What should Amy P eat?

Post 62

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - ok

What should Amy P eat?

Post 63

Hoovooloo

Wand'rin Star offers a tour of historic Lincoln.

Might not sound like much, but it may tickle your fact-gland to know that Lincoln cathedral was, for 238 years, the tallest building in the world. If you like ecclesiastical architecture (and frankly who doesn't), Lincoln is arguably the best in England. Ruskin certainly thought so.

What should Amy P eat?

Post 64

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

smiley - biro

I really should get my hands on a paper map of Great Britain (I assume that, with 2.5 weeks, exploring any of the other islands would be just too much) so I can plot things... I like the online map (not least 'cause other people can mark it, too *hint, hintsmiley - winkeye* but it's too easy to lose track of things while zooming in and out--though we did discover, when planning our trip to Yellowstone, that hooking Tom's laptop to the TV made for much easier map viewing. I can write on a paper map!

Mol, is the offer of the paper timetables still open? If it is, do I know you on fb (I'm bad with keeping names connectedsmiley - blush)? I can give you my address there if so. If not, I'm pretty sure my email address is still on my PS heresmiley - ok

What should Amy P eat?

Post 65

bobstafford

Amy you probably know this, you can look on Google earth as you zoom in photographs will appear the closesr the zoom the more appear.

If you want to see a recommended place we can post photos for you via g-maps or Google.

smiley - smiley

What should Amy P eat?

Post 66

Yes, I know--I just like to be able to get an overview and not lose smaller towns as I zoom outsmiley - laugh Makes planning much simpler.

I wish the delivery window on the guidebook wasn't so wide (given as October 5-October 25) so that were some hope of getting tracking infosmiley - laugh Yes, I realize that people these days are horribly spoiled, but it's still nice to know!

What should Amy P eat?

Post 67

bobstafford

Have tried you a site called trip advisor smiley - ok

What should Amy P eat?

Post 68

I use Trip Advisor quite often, and I may use it when it comes time to thin down my choicessmiley - ok But for now, I'd like recommendations from folks I know at least in passing.

My Rough's Guide to Great Britain arrived yesterday! RL has conspired to keep me from studying it yet, though... I've got post-its, and I'm planning on going to https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2044852 and marking the relevant pages in the book from that, and then going through this thread and doing the same. Then I'll read to fill in any gaps.

I've started an itinerary page: A87879046 Right now, it just contains things from off the top of my head, but it will be fleshed out a bit more as I come across things (and thinned out as reality hits, most likely).

What should Amy P eat?

Post 69

Pink Paisley

Amy, when you get your cream tea, please remember that the cream goes on first and the jam goes on top. Those weirdos in Cornwall put the jam on first.

It matters.

PP.

What should Amy P eat?

Post 70

Wand'rin star

In Lincolnshire they're served with butter also - so butter, jam, cream
in that order. Then try and get it in youth mouth without spilling half of it.smiley - starsmiley - star

What should Amy P eat?

Post 71

It sounds as if I, as an unbiased observer, should try all the regional variations and report back. Strictly as research. I shall have to make that sacrifice for the greater goodsmiley - angel

What should Amy P eat?

Post 72

Pastey

I have absolutely no idea what they heathen PP is on about smiley - winkeye

It's butter on while still warm to melt in and soften the scone, then jam on top and spread to each edge, them cream as a garnish. Has to be that order to stop it being messy, you can't spread jam on top of cream!

What should Amy P eat?

Post 73

I've had approximations of clotted cream before. Frankly, it's going to be hard to not just use a spoon to deliver the real stuff directly, instead of taking the time to put it on a scone with or without jam and/or butter, much less fuss about what ordersmiley - winkeye

And then there's lemon curdsmiley - drool

What should Amy P eat?

Post 74

Pastey

LEMON CURD IS AWESOME!!!!

(very, very, awesome)

What should Amy P eat?

Post 75

Icy North

{...you can't spread jam on top of cream! }

You can on crusty clotted cream. I'm not convinced it's the best way, though, huge respect though I have for Devon fare.

If arguing over the order of scone toppings keeps Cornwall and Devon from full-scale war, then I guess we should be happy to live with it.

What should Amy P eat?

Post 76

Pastey

Clotted cream shouldn't be crusty. But that's a whole other argument where people who disagree with me are wrong smiley - winkeye

What should Amy P eat?

Post 77

You can call me TC

I only realised recently that there was another way to eat a clotted cream scone. I learnt to butter the scone, then comes the clotted cream and the jam is spooned on top. VoilĂ . Squidge squidge, yum, yum.

However, as Amy says, one can always try out both in the name of research.

(PS - how come my spellchecker doesn't know squidge? It hasn't lived!)

What should Amy P eat?

Post 78

I've got a bunch of elvised folks over on fb, so I made a survey that's relevant to here, too: Where is a good place for a meet? https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HYVL63T Please answer there unless the survey is closed, so I can have the answers on one place smiley - ok

What should Amy P eat?

Post 79

Superfrenchie

Done.

And fixing the link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HYVL63T

smiley - biggrin

What should Amy P eat?

Post 80

smiley - doh

smiley - ta

I guess I shouldn't post links in between falling asleep on the couch and going to bedsmiley - laugh

Hm, I wonder which "Other" option SF could've possibly putsmiley - tongueout

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more