A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Pantomime cow?

Post 21

You can call me TC

I'm not sure "cultural" and "pantomime" belong in the same thread, but that is, of course, a matter of opinion!

Pantomime cow?

Post 22

Superfrenchie

smiley - 2cents When I was trying to become a teacher, we were told about the difference between "big C culture" and "little C culture".
Big C culture would include things like Shakespeare, the Gettysburg Address or Goethe;
while little C culture would be fish and chips, the July 4th barbecues, or apfelstrudel (things that normal people do in a specific country/area/galaxy). (*)

And pantomime is specific to Britain : we don't have it in France, and neither do the Americans, I gather. So there : culture !

(*) Although, come to think of it, I'm not quite sure "normal" and "panto" belong together... smiley - winkeye

Pantomime cow?

Post 23

Baron Grim

Nope. And most of us confuse pantomime with that annoying thing with people dressed in black and white stripey shirts trapped in imaginary boxes and leaning into the "wind".

Speaking of which, I've been trying to remember where I saw a movie scene where the protagonist is walking through the park, probably Central Park, stops to watch a mime balancing precariously on an imaginary tightrope. Then the protagonist approaches the mime and pushes him off. smiley - laugh

Anyone remember that scene?

Pantomime cow?

Post 24

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Was the scene in "Tootsie"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2o0mcPhKSU

Pantomime cow?

Post 25

Baron Grim

(DAMN IT! Another vapor post!)

YES! smiley - bigeyes

My brain convoluted Dustin Hoffman with either Tom Hanks or Michael Keaton for some reason. Tootsie never occurred to me.

That's been bouncing around in my head for years, maybe decades.

smiley - ta

Pantomime cow?

Post 26

I'm no genius, but Google is pretty smart. smiley - ok

Pantomime cow?

Post 27

Baron Grim

I tried Google a few years ago, but I probably added Hanks or Keaton's name to the search. smiley - doh

Pantomime cow?

Post 28

Wand'rin star

Of course panto is culture and much more fun than morris dancing.smiley - starsmiley - star

Pantomime cow?

Post 29

I think you did well to remember a scene from a movie that came out in 1982.

Pantomime cow?

Post 30

Baron Grim

I remembered it better than I remembered remembering it.

(Watching that scene for the first time in 30+ years hit my "familiarity" centers of my brain very highly. That was exactly how it played in my head, but I didn't trust my memory that the mime was on a curb, so I just said "imaginary tightrope".)

Pantomime cow?

Post 31

Pink Paisley

In what way is a panto cow NOT a walk-on part?

PP.

Pantomime cow?

Post 32

When it's dancing? There's a pantomime cow in the movie/musical "Gypsy."

Pantomime cow?

Post 33

Teasswill

Oh yes, we will be dancing - presumably not speaking.
When I referred to a walk-on, I meant a tiny role with only a few words & no singing or dancing. I know even those can be very significant - a cameo can be very memorable. Also we've all got to work together to make the whole. But I'm actually keen & happy (& reasonably able) to do more rather than less. I get a bit annoyed at turning up to rehearsals to read in for those with larger roles who are not thereā€¦

Pantomime cow?

Post 34

Baron Grim

Would you exchange a walk on part in a cow, for a lead role on the stage?

Pantomime cow?

Post 35

Wand'rin star

only if her legs are good enough for principal boy smiley - starsmiley - star

Pantomime cow?

Post 36

Teasswill

Yes, I would swap cow for a leading role but I think age might be against me for principal boy!

Pantomime cow?

Post 37

The only leading role I could handle at my age is Don Quixote, but with my luck they'd make me Sancho Panza.

Pantomime cow?

Post 38

Pink Paisley

Go for the cow role. Milk it for all it's worth. Tone it down, not too erotic. Not the time for anyone to get the horn. They'd have to look the udder way. And even if it's a large hall, I have a haunch that you'll fillet.

The steaks are high so please don't burger it up. Study how cows walk and remember that they don't mince.

I'm sure you will give a moooving performance, there's quite a tail to be told.

PP

Pantomime cow?

Post 39

bobstafford

smiley - laugh

Pantomime cow?

Post 40

I think it cud work.

Key: Complain about this post