A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things Adults Say

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

To complement the Things Children Say thread, here's one for adult musings. Have you heard anything weird lately?

On the smiley - grr side today, when I was at an exhibition someone said to me something along the lines of, "only men can win prizes in photography competitions, because they are the only ones who are obsessed with it" smiley - raisedeyebrow

On the smiley - smiley side, there was an advert for a raffle, where people could win anything from a bottle of whiskey to a handbag - when the advert finished, at least 3 people in unison said, "A Handbaaag?!" smiley - laughsmiley - handbagsmiley - laugh

Things Adults Say

Post 2

bobstafford

Only if its a men only competition, smiley - laugh

Things Adults Say

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

here's a link that mentions the degree of obsessiveness that Diane Arbus brought to photography.

http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1554635,00.html

Things Adults Say

Post 4

bobstafford

Margaret Bourke-White was excellent too, but

Things Adults Say

Post 5

Here's a link to some of Leni Riefenstahl's photos of Africa.

http://www.leni-riefenstahl.de/eng/photo/p_afrika.html

Things Adults Say

Post 6

bobstafford

Margaret Bourke-White was excellent too, but seldom mentioned

Things Adults Say

Post 7

bobstafford

Leni Riefenstahl's film work is excellent pity about the sponsor

Things Adults Say

Post 8

Baron Grim

I have a personally autographed copy of Annie Leibovitz's book, the one with John Lennon and Yoko Ono on the cover. She's not a technically great photographer but she is the best at capturing people's personalities.

Things Adults Say

Post 9

smiley - doh

I had forgotten about Annie Liebovitz.

Lewis Carroll was a great photographer at a time when the technology was still new.

Things Adults Say

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent counterexamples to the silly statement smiley - applause

I'd not heard of Diane Arbus - that article was interesting reading on 3 levels (how not to do a biopic, how not to represent disabled people in film, and how interesting that Arbus was a pioneer of photography for textbooks)

I've seen some of Leni Riefenstahl's work before, but I didn't realise she lived to 101. That was dedication to the art that she learned to scuba dive so she could take underwater photographs smiley - ok

I'd not heard of Margaret Bourke-White either, but enjoyed seeing her work, especially the architectural photos smiley - ok

Annie Leibovitz has captured iconic photographs of people indeed smiley - ok

Things Adults Say

Post 11

Baron Grim

I always appreciated Diane Arbus' work when I was in Photography school. When I first heard about that "biopic" I was excited as while I knew her work, I didn't know much about her personally.

I know even less after watching that film. It was like it was written and directed on LSD.

Things Adults Say

Post 12

Baron Grim

Unfortunately, I watched _Fur_ just before I started keeping a journal (Flix) on the films I was watching, I so don't have a review. I rated it one star smiley - star on Netflix. I have to really hate a film to do that.

Things Adults Say

Post 13

You were one of the 33% who didn't like the film. I never saw it, myself, but the cast seems pretty good. I don't usually do retrospective viewing, though, as it's enough of a challenge to keep up with the new films being introduced.

Things Adults Say

Post 14

Baron Grim

I watched it not long after it became available on Netflix. If I had no knowledge of Diane Arbus, maybe I wouldn't have hated the film so much.

Things Adults Say

Post 15

Bluebottle

Julia Margaret Cameron was an excellent pre-Raphaelite photographersmiley - artist

<BB<

Things Adults Say

Post 16

Her work is amazing. smiley - wow

Things Adults Say

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - wow Stunning photographs indeed, and a fascinating story - impressive art... Plus I found another gem in the Edited Guide A87793988 - I enjoyed that smiley - ok

Things Adults Say

Post 18

Pink Paisley

'I don't mean to be rude, but......'

Always followed by rudeness.

PP.

Things Adults Say

Post 19

Mol - on the new tablet

Overheard in Bradford in 1988:

'So I said to him, right - no nookie!'

Sadly we didn't hear what prompted this, nor what the result was.

Mol

Things Adults Say

Post 20

Bluebottle

They weren't discussing whether or not to go on holiday to Newquay, were they? Hopefully they went to the Isle of Wight instead.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post