A Conversation for Ask h2g2

International Unification and the fear thereof

Post 21

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I think you're saying that people are more likely to believe in international cooperation if they have first-hand positive intercultural experiences? smiley - bigeyes Sounds about right to me.

I've always believed ALL US college students should do 'junior year abroad', and not just the language students. smiley - winkeye Maybe we should have an 18+ 'work exchange'?

Post 22

bobstafford

People are all alike we come into the world with no hatred it's society that messes things up.smiley - erm

Post 23

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"If you're not having any apparent benefit from this then why would you support it."

Seems to cut down on warfare. Makes travel easier.

smiley - pirate

Post 24

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I think part of the reason is the old "us vs. them" mentality.

Now, personally I choose to self-identify as a human being first, and then as an American second. So maybe that makes it easier to ignore the national--cultural boundary.

smiley - pirate

Post 25

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Almost everyone in American is descended from non-indigenous people. Some were born in American, and some were born elsewhere. All of them are individuals. Immigration officials like to be shown applicants with skills, education, and/or assets.

Post 26

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I found something interesting on the subject yesterday. It's a 1981 Swiss film called 'Das Boot ist voll' (The Boat is Full). It's available on Youtube with subtitles, but you can find an English-dubbed copy on Amazon Prime, too. (For free with the subscription.)

The film showed how the Swiss people of one village - decent sorts, no villains - dealt with some refugees coming over the border in the early 1940s. Some of them made attempts to get them past the complicated immigration rules - but in the end, their efforts failed, and all were sent back to their deaths, including an elderly man and a small boy. This kind of thing happened all the time during the war, and the film was their way of acknowledging a national failure.

I watched the film, and my first thought afterwards was, 'What film will they be making about this in 50 years' time?'

Post 27

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I saw that movie. I remember scenes in which people traveled on motorbikes with passenger add-ons.

Key: Complain about this post