A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 241

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Monday was lightly seasoned and bread-crumb dusted Atlantic salmon fillets - gentle baked. Accompanied by garlic and black pepper mashed potatoes.

Tuesday was the left-overs with some fine minced onions, a couple of eggs, a little seasoning, bread crumbs - voila - - - 4" by 3/4" fish cakes.

Wednesday is a toss up between chicken burgers or schnitzel. I have a pair of boneless and skinless chicken breasts thawing that would make many buzzards jealous. smiley - winkeye

What will supper be?

Post 242

I couldn't make up my mind, for a simple Friday supper. Corn chowder? Potato and leek soup?

Ta heck with it, merge them and let the crock-pot figure it out ...

What will supper be?

Post 243

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I just finished up some Portagee soup, a Portuguese mix of potatoes, sausages, carrots, and tomato sauce.

What will supper be?

Post 244

ITIWBS

A Cobb salad tonight.

Summertime fare, forecast temperature for Monday 119F/48C, piling on the blood thinners now.

Pool party and potluck dinner tomorrow.

What will supper be?

Post 245

Supper tonight was pasta with green beans, tomato sauce, and turkey meatballs.

What will supper be?

Post 246

Father's Day today, and I get my choices. The day will be simple:

Brunch of scrambled eggs with cream, leeks and cheese, five nice slices of peameal bacon, toast, orange juice and perhaps some locally fresh grown strawberries.

Supper will have a large number of white mushrooms quartered, tumbled in Italian salad dressing, in a pan on the gas BBQ grill - one large Spanish onion sliced thin, a dusting of seasoning and a dollop of button, another pan on the grill - 4 medium sized spuds slow baking on ... yes, the grill. The highlight being a 20-oz sirloin steak with a simple light rub of salt and pepper, grilled to medium/medium-rare. Preceded by maybe 40 cooked and chilled shrimp with a zippy dip sauce, and all followed by strawberries-in-custard tarts.

Feeding the pair of us, this will leave me a fine lunch or two for the coming week. smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 247

I just had a delectable supper of paella. smiley - drool

What will supper be?

Post 248

ITIWBS

A tortellini salad.

What will supper be?

Post 249

Friday is a national holiday, Dominion Day which is now called Canada Day. (Keeps it simpler for youth who don't know history)

But Saturday, a couple will join us for a bit of a holiday week-end feast:

- 3 cheeses, crackers (biscuits, not noisy things), and seedless grapes

- celery, carrots, radishes, mushrooms, all finger-food sized and with a sour cream and onion dip

- corn on the cob, potato salad (I grate the boiled and chilled spuds), pasta salad, sliced cukes, maters, Spanish onion, to accompany gas-grilled/BBQ burgers, cheese and pre-sizzled bacon to accompany

- blueberry cheesecake tarts

ALL home made

(Teaser: I may also do up some boneless chicken breasts on the BBQ ...)

What will supper be?

Post 250

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

square/lorne sausage - I haven't had any in years its rather trickier to find in England than it is in Scotland, but it was good - it is rather tricky to avoid over cooking though and I may need to find some more to experiment sufficiently

What will supper be?

Post 251

I'm interested, can you describe to a foreign lad what they are made of, and how? smiley - bigeyes

What will supper be?

Post 252

I'm about to enjoy some Tuscan soup with sausages.

What will supper be?

Post 253

ITIWBS

Supper today....

A cup of coffee cappuccino, and a handful of dietary supplements, including a B-complex tab (200 mg), a dessicatecd liver/B-12 tab (1000 mg, 20 mg B-12), a calcium carbonate/vitamin D-3 tab (500 mg, 20 mg D-3), 2 eleuthero ginseng tabs (500 mg each), 1 gingko biloba extract tab (200 mg).

As a matter of fact, besides a constant supply of diet coca-cola on ice, that's all I've had all day

Its the summertime heat in this desert environment.

With temperatures constantly near body temperature or higher the body doesn't need to burn calories to maintain core temperature, appetite drops off precipitously, a point I've noticed before during past summers as have many other local residents, making summer an excellent time to lose weight painlessly, which as a matter of fact I currently need to do having fattened up shamefully over the past winter and spring.

Next cooking task up, a half gallon of cole slaw with shredded cabbage, grated carrot, shelled pumpkin seeds and a dressing of mayonnaise diluted with just enough dill pickle juice to make it pour semi-liquidly, to be taken with a light smorgasbord on the side.

What will supper be?

Post 254

Our guests were unable to join us for the above mentioned summer supper. The lady is recovering from surgeries and also afflicted with a belly concern. So I delivered a good measure of all that they were missing - to their house.

A friend in South Carolina told me of a simple marinade that she uses before grilling / BBQ chicken - no parboil needed, and it came off tender and tasty. No burn, no gone tough or dry.

What will supper be?

Post 255

I still have one serving of Biryani left for tonight's supper. I'm putting it off as long as possible so the day's heat can have a chance to dissipate. It wasn't much above 80 degrees today, but it seems cooler once the Sun goes down at 8:24. That's two hours away. I'm in no hurry to eat. I'm sitting here, listening to oboe sonatas by Devienne. In half an hour, I will start heating supper in the toaster oven while I go around the Park watering plants. Supper will be around 7:30, and it will be a light serving. Like ITIWBS, I don't have as much of an appetite in the hot weatehr as I would in cooler weather.

On the other hand, I dug an unexpectedly large hole for a plant I planted this afternoon, and then I walked for an hour and did five loads of laundry. That's fairly heavy physical activity for me. I can expect to have *some* appetite tonight. smiley - smiley

What will supper be?

Post 256

For my general condition, I really over-did it yesterday - - - am drained and have a really tired back.

How-ever, we have a "bank holiday" week-end arriving. Suppers are simple:

- Friday, left-over canned and baked beans with wieners (frankfurters) sliced in, bacon strips fried crispy, eggs scrambled and into an iron pan that has sauted some garlic and onions, toast.

- Saturday, to be determined

- Sunday, a tidy beef roast done in a black-iron Dutch oven with a little onion, carrots and potatoes. Broth will make a fine gravy to accompany simple mashed spuds and some lightly simmered frozen mixed veggies

- Monday, my potato salad (boiled spuds grated, with mayo, dry mustard, seasoned salt, minced Spanish onion, chopped hard-boiled eggs). Pasta salad (same seasonings, onion and egg, perhaps some grated mild cheddar cheese and grated sweet ham). Hand made burgers on the grill, with tomato, cheese, lettuce, bacon, etc toppers. Chilled and sliced tomatoes and cucumbers ... And yes, Paul, devilled eggs - they are a given for a simple chilled supper.

What will supper be?

Post 257

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

we have some fab fresh pork chops/steaks in so some more of those tonight... roast with red (sweet) pepper, and onion, with rosemary and tons of fresh pepper on them, and to go with that, we've some leftover small new potatos from last night... and probably with some salad thrown about too I imagine 9(well, lettuce and cucumber, maybe tomoato too) smiley - zen

What will supper be?

Post 258

I am often amazed and a bit confused at folks that just bury their meals with white or black pepper. My father-in-law does this. Poof, any chance of tasting the underlying meat or veggies is gone. If you want tongue burn without wasting an otherwise good meal - - - buy the little peppers and just eat them alone.

What will supper be?

Post 259

I sit here posting while I wait for my paella to finish cooking. I've had to add stuff to the recipe that I wouldn't ordinarily, because my sister gave me green beans and squash from her garden. Paella usually contains green peas, but beans will have to do. smiley - tongueout

What will supper be?

Post 260

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I can taste it just as good with the pepper on it. they're at differnt levels in the taste sensations, kind of layered over each other but distinct, and then with the added combination flavours coming through too smiley - erm but I'm quite good at taste... even if a bit down on tasting and in particular some smelling at the moment as my testosterone has shot right down again and I've still not sufficient thyroxin to remidy the lack of neural excitability and activation smiley - wah oddly, it affects differnt tastes/scents more than others smiley - weird

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more