A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Couch/sofa/settee/whatnot

Post 1

KB

Which word do you use? Is there a class/age/regional divide on what you call one of these, errr, limousines of the armchair world?

Post 2

bobstafford

Settee or the spanish Sofa

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Settee for me too (NW England)

Post 4

ITIWBS

Couch.

Just so long as its long enough for me to stretch out full length and I've a cover for it, a pillow for my head and shoulders and a throw rug for the end where my feet go, I'm happy.

If its plumply padded and too short for me to stretch out full length without putting my feet up on one arm, 'sofa'.

'Settee' if it will comfortably accomodate only two seated adults.

'Whatnot' general purpose descriptive for a considerable number of things, from tools to objets d'art to footstools; footstools also refered to as knick-knacks*.

*Pennsylvania Dutch dialect.

Post 5

Deb

Sofa.

I don't know what class I am, worling perhaps (father a fireman, grandad a coalminer), raised in council housing.

Age 48 (smiley - yikes am I really??).

Region - Midlands via Kent then Orkney then London.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 6

Icy North

I grew up with couch (to sit on), dinner (lunchtime meal) and tea (evening meal), but married into settee, lunch and dinner.

I've got them around to saying "tea" (evening meal), but I'm still working on the other two. I don't think it will ever happen.

Post 7

bobstafford

Dervishes come from the worling class as well debsmiley - ok

AKA the worling Dervishes smiley - run

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I'd call it a sofa. My grandparents called it a settee, but they were from Belfast and a different era.

The distinction between 'Tea' and 'Dinner' isn't just where you're from, it's what you eat. If you have a big meal with lots of cooked food, for example, steak, potatoes and cabbage, then it is dinner, even if it is in the evening. On the other hand, if you have scrambled egg, followed by lots of bread and jam, then it is is tea.

Post 9

Icy North

Well, that's 'high tea', which is well above my social scale.

Post 10

Deb

smiley - rofl at bobstafford. Fair does, mea culpa & all that smiley - biggrin

I grew up with lunch & dinner but I've lived in the Midlands for nigh on 20 years now, so these days I have lunch & tea.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 11

ITIWBS

In the American southeast, 'dinner' is the mid day meal, while in most of the remainder of the USA, 'dinner' refers to the evening meal, often with an implication that the meal is formal or ceremonial.

'Supper' refers to the evening meal everwhere in the USA.

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Mostly sofa, but occasionally couch.

Lunch can only refer to the midday meal. Supper can only refer to the evening meal. Dinner depends on how extensive it is.

Post 13

Beatrice

Sofa I think. Well, I know I say "the red sofa" but I've a feeling I might refer to "the leather couch". Maybe it's dependent on material. Or colour.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner, though DH will ask "Any thoughts on tea?"

Post 14

KB

Now come on, you can't just go round calling things "sofas" just because they are red! That way madness lies!

A red sofa at night is a shepherd's delight. smiley - handcuffssmiley - blacksheep

Post 15

Beatrice

It's certainly a Weimaraner's delight, not sure about shepherds, German or otherwise smiley - dog

Post 16

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Did Lenin like to sit on red sofas? smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Icy North

Yes, with his feet resting on a leathery old pouffe.

Post 18

bobstafford

Did they have rasputin stuffed then?smiley - erm

Post 19

loonycat - run out of fizz

Sofa but used to use settee in my youth smiley - huh

Im from south east England, late 40s, no class smiley - biggrin

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

What about hassocks, then? Does anybody use the word or did they ever?

Key: Complain about this post