A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How do you cope with hot flushes?

Post 1

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - blush as in, menapausal hot flushes? smiley - blush they're just so horrible! smiley - blush Hmm. Sometimes even just throwing the fan on full or getting out of the warm sun, into a cool breeze doesn't even seem to help So, I was wondering, if there are any special magic tricks, that perhaps... err... anyone else might know on how to deal with this thing. and. yes. I am getting menapausal hot flushes, and all the associated mood swings 9which william has to put up with), despite my being male. its... complicated... smiley - blushsmiley - flustered

Post 2

Peanut

Er, wouldn't go as far as to say a magic trick but I put baby wipes in the fridge and found wiping my face and neck with them cooling and some relief from that oppressive feeling when you are having a flush. Some facial wipes are easier to carry around in a bag

Post 3

oo! putting them in the fridte is a fabulus idea! - I keep one pack of baby whipes perminatly in my handbag; so I can clean my hands when out, and for cleaning round my eyes, when I need to apply drops to the eye with the knackered no tear production smiley - magic - I've a spare pack of babyw whipes upstairs; about to put in the fridge! smiley - magic

Post 4

quotes

Paracetamol can regulate temperature.

Post 5

Still not sure if I'm allowed to take painkillers... paracetamol or anything which lowers body temp I was told i wasn't allowed... smiley - doh they've as yet to tell me otherwise smiley - doctorsmiley - nursesmiley - doh

Post 6

bobstafford

Tell them you have and see if they :-
A. Panic
B. administer a sever boll###ing
C. administer a mild boll##ing
D. ignore it

smiley - ok

Post 7

If only I could smiley - doh one Dr the current one says he won't listen to anything I say. and the other proper Dr won't see me either. smiley - shrug life gets more surreal and more painful minute by minute.. smiley - shrug

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Well, this is July after all. Are you sure you feel hot because of hot flashes? I feel hot too, and I *don't* get hot flashes.

Post 9

You can call me TC

I'm lucky, I'm past them, although this heat is really unpleasant, but that's the whole time, not just flushes. And I never had them really badly anyway; I even only had restless legs just the once.

Dress so that you can take layers off - again, in this weather, even one layer is too much, so that's not much help at the moment.

Use a fan.

Carry a small thermos of ice cubes around with you.

Try a gyneacologist. I mean, ask one if they can do anything about the hormones which are obviously the cause of it. Next time you're in the hospital accost one in the corridor or burst into their office by mistake.

Post 10

ITIWBS

If I feel myself overheating, shut down anything that needs to be shut down and park myself in front of the AC with a tall beverage on ice. (I always have one handy during the torrid season.)

Ice packs, made with half and half crushed ice (or better, snow) and rubbing alcohol in zip-lock freezer bags, reusable, and the mixture when frozen is easily kneaded and molded to fit the body where its needed.

I frequently use an ice pack of the type for eye irritation - just so lock as the zip lock is uncompromised.

Post 11

ITIWBS

smiley - biroThat next to last 'lock' was supposed to have been 'long'.

Post 12

It's supposed to be up to 96 degrees Fahrenheit this afternoon. I plan to visit an air conditioned library.

Post 13

Deb

I may have mentioned this in one of your journals but acupuncture might be worth a look as it worked for my mum.

This is the link to the NHS page which includes info on complementary therapies. It also has a link for men who are suffering from hot flushes. Might be interesting.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/menopause/Pages/hot-flushes.aspx

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 14

Pink Paisley

Mrs PP used to have a hot flush as regular as clockwork at 10 past 10 at night - wherever we were.

You could set your watch by her.

PP.

Post 15

swl

<>

I don't think bursting into a gynecologists office is a good idea

Post 16

Why? What's in there? smiley - tongueout

Post 17

Icy North

Before I saw it written down, I assumed a gynaecologist treated guys.

Post 18

Icy North
- in my case, they will be! smiley - laugh theoretically.... at leat... I was always male... until my hormones got so twisted bout due to the drugs man smiley - laugh - yep. I did have the bloods test; FSH adn LH as expected, for indication of menapausae; plus, testosterone, down off the bottom fo the scale , as ... one woudln't normally see in a male smiley - laughsmiley - blush I can't see any patturn to my hot flushes... they mess me up so mentally as well as just the physical thing that they're horrid smiley - wahsmiley - doh Still waiting on Endocrinology appointment smiley - doh - so so tempted to go try score some contraceptive pills; I'm sure a sudden influx of oestrogen oughta just stop the flushes, but... perhaps I'm not ment to be quite so gun ho with my own endocrinology smiley - laughsmiley - puff

Post 19

Deb

Ooh, that triggered a memory. Menopause cake! High in phytoestrogens, apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/282499.stm

Baking a cake should be right up your street! Here's a recipe:

http://woats.co.uk/menopause-cake/

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 20

" I can't see any patturn to my hot flushes... they mess me up so mentally as well as just the physical thing that they're horrid" [2Legs]

You mean you're more messed up mentally than usual?

smiley - yikessmiley - run

Key: Complain about this post