A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Why do so many meats taste like chicken?

Post 21

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I do tend to get my animal relations wrong smiley - blush
But more related to eachother than to mammals eating grass, at least? Or no? smiley - biggrin *rather clueless*

Chickens can indeed be a bit scary. I seem to remember we even had a werechicken around h2g2 at some point... But geese are even scarier!

smiley - towel

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"more related to each other than to mammals eating grass, at least?" [Milla]

You're probably right, though my knowledge of historical geology is dated -- I studied it in college in the late 1960s. Since then there have been new discoveries. I believe that birds and dinosaurs now share the same classification. Who knows how they'll be grouped a hundred years from now?

Post 23

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

All birds are more closely related to dinosaurs than to us. Mammals, amphibians, reptiles (and by extension dinosaurs) are roughly equally related to each other. Which is to say, not very.

I think alligators, though a completely separate group from dinosaurs, are about as close to modern humans as dinosaurs are, and therefore marginally closer than chickens.

But seriously, it's... I really don't think it's relevant to flavor.

I mean, ya' got ducks, right? They're exponentially closer to chickens than anything I've already said. And they taste different, don't they?

smiley - pirate

Post 24

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs starting to feel a little ashamed
"As well as for posting this (and presumably disrupting the flow by the delay)

As well as for having eaten Chicken, pork, trout, tilapia, surimi (yesterday) salmon, beef (today), dove, crocodile, turtle, froglegs, shark (about four specimen), ostrich, horse, donkey, geese, turkey, several other undefined birds, musquash, any available mollusc, shellfish, slug, crustatian, worms, beatles, maggots and I forgot probably half of the species.

And about the taste, in my opinion taste has at least a threefold perspective,
-It is what your tongue detects (not much) the speed in wich the taste of the meat comes to your senses the fattyness.
-The smell, the temperature the look (4?).
-Does the meat melt or does it have a crunch is it tough or can you take an easy bite. Does parts stick between your teeth or do you feel a little filled up after a small part (smiley - shark can have an ammoniac taste as it urinates through the skin).

If I read this thread over the days I have given it some thought. I guess much of taste comes from where you buy your meat. Supermarkets tend to sealpack meat in Nitrogen atmosphere this completely neutralises the taste. Chicken pork and beef may be salted and hydrated even without mention on the package (if it is less then .. it is smiley - ok).

Then comes the feeding, you can easy recognise wild meat as it will be more tough and most times heavy smelling compared to factory grown meat. smiley - erm

I still want to know haw they made the corn chicken I once bought on the market, it was near orange meat and tasted very sweet near wild.

All meat tastes like chicken, hmm, not for me at least smiley - drool still have some salmon oil left in the frying pan."

Post 25

Xanatic

Turkey also tastes different from chicken, though I imagine they have much the same diet.

Post 26

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I had chicken, last night, for my dinner. smiley - zen
2 frozen thighs, defrosted, and then cooked in the oven, until well done (skin chrispy). smiley - zen only flavoured with a little black pepper, before they went in to coook in the oven. and.

It tasted like chicken. smiley - drool it you'd not misstake it, IMO for any other meat.... smiley - weird - as much as anything its the texture, I think; especially with differnt meats, the mouth-feel texture of the fats/lipids in the meat itself; which, of course are I think mainly responsible for the scent, which is the biggest part of the actual 'taste' of the meat. smiley - zen
Mind. I think my sense of smell has gone supercharged of late. so perhaps not everyone gets the same from it... I dunno... - kinda hard to describe, especially with taste/food.... actually better example might be audio; the other day, sitting in the front room, with W; I for an experiment 'saw' what he could hear, and visa versa; we might as well have been in a differnt room.... a differnt country!; I could hear the bubbling of teh pan on the stove, I could hear the dimmer switch for the room lights; I could also hear the lights themselves, which make a noise, and I could hear the sound of the water in the heating system, as wll as teh sound of the pipes expanding and contracting, - plus the comon sounds we could both hear, which were largely the louder outside noises of cars, people etc smiley - weird

so.... none of us are actually tasting ... or indeed, not t tasting, the same thing smiley - laughsmiley - weird we are each turely within our own specific reality of experience smiley - zensmiley - erm MMMM... - comparason BTW to the chicken; just had roast beef for lunch... utterly utterly differnt and the mouthfeel of the fat/lipds in it, is such a major part of it, I'm usre..... I can still 'feel' the mouthfeel of the beef I just had.... and its so utterly differnt to the chicken... - then again of course, chicken breast is differnt to chicken thigh, mouth feel, and, probably other cuts/ways of cooking affect that a lot too... smiley - erm hmm. meat is still murder though, man.

Post 27

bobstafford

If Chicken tastes like so many other meats so why do people always recognize chicken by the taste of the meat smiley - doh

Post 28

Xanatic

I'd say that is more about considering the probabilities that the meat in your salad is alligator.

Post 29

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Saying that alligator tastes like chicken is a croc!

Key: Complain about this post