A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Party-x

Post 1

Cool Old Guy (ex-SockPuppet) Trying not to post for the next 200 days !

Cool Old Guy smiley - cogs on his head
"Checked frontpage, Checked backpage < A27 >

Trying to find the index < C889 >

Dancing on the smiley - boing < <./>RandomEntry</.> > smiley - boing

Where is the Party for 16 years of HooToo smiley - wah"

Party-x

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Perhaps we're all too stunned by the collapse of the giant edifice that once was h2g2. Those of us rummaging through the wreckage still come across gems occasionally as we wait for the coming of the master programmer who can drive out the demons and make this place workable again.

Party-x

Post 3

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs on top
"Is more or less my intend too.

Was for the wiki stub (they should reduce it to 'Mostly Harmless') I thought about visiting again.

I do have the smiley - magic wand and some time. However actually I still feel at home here even as a sockpuppet.

Any idea about staff hours? (if any)

Oh an I know this conversation does probably not belong here. It should be on the celebration page announced on the frontpage smiley - weird"

Party-x

Post 4

You can call me TC

A27 was written in Jan 1999 - so it's way over 16 years...

Party-x

Post 5

"It is the idea that counts, I have discussed this with Jim once.

The site opened for the public the 28th of April only to become barely functional about 2nd of may (massive server overloads).

smiley - winkeye"

Party-x

Post 6

Icy North

Nice to see you back, smiley - tit

What have you been up to in your absence from hootoo?

Party-x

Post 7

"That wil have to wait for 'his' first next Journal. Currently trapped in pliny.

Anyway this really becomes a crowd smiley - crisps, smiley - pggb anybody ?"

Party-x

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Just remember... if we do ever figure out what we are doing here... or where here is... we'll likely as not all just vanish in a giant puff of smoke, and logic to be replaced by soemthing entirely not unlike tea... or, even less inexpicable...... however.... I'm not entirely sure this hasn't already happened at least once smiley - zen Time is, and illusion, afterall smiley - zensmiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - teasmiley - cupcakesmiley - teasmiley - zen

Party-x

Post 9

Cool Old Guy smiley - cogs listening to the the shoe seller button experience
"Nicely said as by our own prophet."

Party-x

Post 10

smiley - zensmiley - blushsmiley - zen lettuce not remain the same....... but lettuce remain the same also.... smiley - zen all things are the same... but ntohing is the same again... smiley - zen all is change... and change is none.... smiley - zen - for lo; as we can have both 'tea', and 'no tea', then also can be that we can have same, and no same, and change and no change smiley - zen symultainiously and together smiley - zen allergidly so, anyhow; but, sometimes I@m a cat, now, so I might not be exactly a reliable whitnes- meow. smiley - blackcat

Party-x

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

You can't step into the same bowl of porridge twice.

Party-x

Post 12

Very true smiley - zen
I have tried. and, well, b basically got myself into a very sticky situeation in doing so smiley - zensmiley - zen Cornflakes however, work entirely differntly when in a bowl. smiley - zen Its so important to get the right ceriel for the right metaphysical situation smiley - zen

Party-x

Post 13

Baron Grim

What is generally considered the "Official" start date for h2g2?

I know it had its largest influx of new researchers following various announcements around the interwebs and on the telly (Tomorrow's World, I've been told). I came through an invitation I rec'd from inquiries regarding the long delayed Starship Titanic game. I wish I had a copy of that original invitation email now.

Anyway, I and several dozens of thousands showed up on 9.9.1999.

It was already open by then, but not widely known. That was a bit of a Grand Opening, but when exactly was the soft opening, and the sneak preview?

Party-x

Post 14

Cool old Guy smiley - cogs running out of sync
"Some posts up, < F19585?thread=8313315&latest=1#p110934005 >.

I seem to have answered a similar question on the tenth birthday with accurate links, perhaps you have missed it in the excessive backlog smiley - online2long"

Party-x

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes,the official launch was 28th April 1999, exactly 16 years ago. Hooroo is 16 today. Woodpigeon signed up the next day and is still seen around occasionally.

Party-x

Post 16

Baron Grim

It's a shame there is no indication of that on the front page.

Of course I've missed my own anniversary date every single year for 15 straight years, but I only have my carbon based squidgy brain to remind me and no one outside of that carbon based squidgy brain really cares anyway.

But the Anniversary of h2g2 is worthy of commemoration.

Party-x

Post 17

Baron Grim

Heh... I just added an annual reminder to my mobile device (Google calendar). It asked how long I should repeat it, suggesting until 2036 and offering a check box for "forever".

I optimistically checked "forever".

I'll be quite surprised to get to 2019.

If we have a 20th anniversary and there isn't a party, that WILL be a crying shame.

Party-x

Post 18

Baron Grim

Maybe we should start planning the 2019 London Meet-Up now.

Party-x

Post 19

"I doubt if the google device and or gadget will survive it until 2019. smiley - stiffdrink

smiley - cheerssmiley - bubblysmiley - crisps"

Party-x

Post 20

Baron Grim

This actual mobile device... unlikely. But the reminder is in the "cloud" now... so maybe.

If we don't reach the Singularity before then. smiley - galaxy

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more