A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you use the word 'expectable'?

Post 1

Icy North

It's in the dictionary. It means 'to be expected'. But it just stopped me in my tracks when reading it in a sentence.

I've never used it - have you? And is there any nuance of meaning in 'expectable', which would make it a better word to use than 'to be expected'?

Post 2

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Never seen it before.

I don't think there's any nuance to it, but if it were in common speech patterns then there are certain sentence structures that would.... roll off the tongue a little easier than "to be expected."

As is true of so many words...

smiley - pirate

Post 3

KB

There seems to be a very slight difference, to me: 'expectable' suggests that it *can* be expected - ie., it isn't impossible - whereas 'to be expected' suggests that it *should* be expected - ie., it is almost certain.

Post 4

Xanatic

I do believe I have used it. I would also agree with kb that it's a bit different from saying it is to expected.

Post 5

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

He does make a good point.

smiley - pirate

Post 6

You can call me TC

I agree - it has a different meaning from "to be expected".

Nor do we use "anticipable" which sounds even funnier.

Post 7

Bluebottle

smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnoteTay, tay, tay, tay,
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnoteT-t, t-t, ter, tay, tay,
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnoteTake or leave me
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnoteOnly please believe me
smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnoteI ain't never gonna use 'expectable'

<BB<

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok Thank you <BB< - you expressed in words what my brain was thinking when I read the title of this thread smiley - laugh

Post 9

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

No.Never heard anyone else use it and I bet any teacher would red pen it straight off.

Post 10

SiliconDioxide

No, but I've sat on the expectacle.

Post 11

You can call me TC

And the Spanish Inquisition is definitely not expectable.

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" is there any nuance of meaning in 'expectable', which would make it a better word to use than 'to be expected'?" [Icy North]

"Expectable" is useful if, for whatever reason, you must keep word count low, as it counts as one word, not three. Some magazines require low word count, as in short short stories. Tweets may not exceed 140 characters.

Post 13

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

expectibility would I expect, be of mor euse, due to its meaning, in context.... perhaps... I don't think I've used expectable though... well... I expect I've never used it... but all words have their plaice. shirly.

Key: Complain about this post