A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Simple activities and petty hates

Post 1

You can call me TC

For years now, I had always considered the above two threads as opposites. But it has just occurred to me that they aren't really. So I thought I'd start off a collection of the proper opposite to "simple activities that are strangely pleasurable" as in - "simple activities that are uncomfortable or displeasing".

So, whereas a Petty Hate would be something that someone else does, there are many little things we have to do ourselves which, if we're honest with ourselves, we rather shudder at doing. And put off, where possible.

It might be cutting toenails or having to bend backwards to find your seat belt in the car. For me, it's particularly unpleasant to have to turn washing inside-out or out the right way, especially if it's wet.

One man's fun is another man's disgust. Hey ho.

OK, OK - here comes the question: What every day activity makes you shudder at the thought?

Post 2

Icy North

Going to work

Post 3

swl

Picking up the dismembered bodies all over the carpet from last night's carnage.

Bloomin cats.

Post 4

quotes

>>it's particularly unpleasant to have to turn washing inside-out or out the right way, especially if it's wet.

I'm with you on that one, TC. My teens like to remove their socks and tights in one big 'slough', and dump them in the washing inside-out. So to get the socks out of the resultant soggy combination requires putting my hand into the clammy leg of their tights to retrieve the even wetter sock.

Post 5

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Cleaning the toilet. smiley - ill

But then I put it off and it just gets worse! smiley - yikes

So I'm even less likely to want to do it!!! smiley - wah

And on and on it goes.... smiley - blue

smiley - pirate

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Pulling out of my parking space into the road that runs in front of my house. The snow banks are still so high* that I worry about being able to see other cars approaching and crashing into my car, or my car hitting them.

*They were even higher a few weeks ago. Maybe they'll have melted away by July 4th. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

quotes

The dough in my breadmaker got a bit lively, and frothed over into the internals of the machine. Dough is very sticky, and it's not wise to use lots of water near such electronics, so I had to try to clean it out with a succession of kitchen towel; and even then it wouldn't all budge. Things which are prone to get messy but that can't be cleaned easily are pretty stupid.

Post 8

ITIWBS

...like the top of the interior of a microwave oven.

One ought to be able to see it and clean it easily...

Post 9

[I think the companies that make those appliances prefer the profits they can get by selling you replacements smiley - biggrin]

Post 10

You can call me TC

My microwave oven has holes in. They are big enough to get the water jet thing in (it's really for cleaning the gaps between teeth).

I've tried it once or twice after a really nasty explosion in the microwave, but it's risky because there's a grill up there, too. But if you switch the grill on and there are bits of food that shot through those holes, it doesn't half smell....

Post 11

My microwave weighs a ton, is hard to clean, and hasn't worked in years. I'm retired, so speedy heating isn't essential. I just rely on a smaller, cheaper toaster oven.

Post 12

Teasswill

I hate cleaning the shower. So I've allocated that to hubby. Doesn't seem to get done all that often.....
Does choosing what to cook for dinner count? I get fed up about that - don't mind the actual cooking, just the deciding what to have.

Key: Complain about this post