A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Any new Smilies?

Post 41

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

NO more leechs tonight... no more steroid tablets... either... thankfully... just a little reset my internal clock (yeh... right), melatonin tablet... that tastes.... not at all like leech... smiley - yuk there was a bowl of expensive posh icecream though, which was better than any leech I've tasted before smiley - snorksmiley - silly

Any new Smilies?

Post 42

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

I just want to say I'm totally confused smiley - headhurts and can't understand most of the posts over the last couple of days, but no worries, I'll just keep reading and staying confused. smiley - zen

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Any new Smilies?

Post 43

I don't thin kthey're necessarily ment to make sense. smiley - erm

actually. I'm fairly sure the ones I wrote, now, when I re-read them. don't make any sense to me... and I wrote them! smiley - laughsmiley - zen Hmmm... I might be.... smiley - drumroll even slightly more unsettled and oddly surreal at the moment, than what passes for 'normal'... sorry! smiley - laughsmiley - blush I'll try behave. smiley - zen

Any new Smilies?

Post 44

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Oh, 2legs, please do not try to behave, where would the fun and confusion be in that. smiley - winkeye

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Any new Smilies?

Post 45

ahh haa! Emilly! you fell for my cunning trap! smiley - evilgrin

"behave", in "2legs", is not, necessarily, baring much ressembalance to any other person or things definition of the phrase smiley - laughsmiley - snork

spent this morning, for example.... walking around town, doing some shopping, with Sir... getting the most confused, 'distaste' and 'disgust' and ... other odd looks, from all the 'normals' geeks and freaks that inhabat such places as town centres smiley - laugh
and smiley - drumroll

then Had my photo taken next to a particularly 'silly' looking shop manikin..... smiley - laughsmiley - zensmiley - silly

Any new Smilies?

Post 46

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Some of those mannikins look so lifelike that I find myself stopping to ask them questions. Then I realize they aren't alive smiley - doh.

It doesn't help that I'm nearsighted smiley - online2long.

Any new Smilies?

Post 47

I was startign to fear, if I stood their much longer... waiting for Sir to find the cambra on his phone.... someone would walk up to me, and try to puchase me smiley - laughsmiley - silly

Any new Smilies?

Post 48

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

smiley - ok Emmily.

Still here three.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Any new Smilies?

Post 49

Hiya MMF, another one smiley - smiley

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

Any new Smilies?

Post 50

Pink Paisley

I saw strawberries in the supermarket yesterday. February! Nooooooo! They were Spanish I think. We've still got Dutch and possibly Egyptian shoved at us before I can have any. And these looked a weird colour too. I suspect they could safely be shaken upside down and would need to be sliced using a carving knife.

Why do they taunt me so?

PP.

Any new Smilies?

Post 51

Before air and rail transport came along, many areas had greenhouses to supply veggies and fruits during the winter months.

Since your strawberries came from Spain, I'm wondering if they were grown indoors in a huge greenhouse complex in Andalucia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse
[See the "uses" section, second paragraph]

Any new Smilies?

Post 52

Gnomon - time to move on

Emmily, opinions differ on whether the new Pliny system (it's not technically a skin) looks good. I personally think it looks great. But please, please write your entries in Alabaster. There are just too many bugs in the Pliny editor.

Any new Smilies?

Post 53

Pink Paisley

Not MY Strawberries. Tesco's Strawberries. And they remained Tesco's strawberries.

As has been noted, Strawbs out of season are just wrong. And even IN season, they need to be at least British if not from the Strawberry farm on the way to work. And sometimes on the way home from work too. smiley - rofl

PP.

Any new Smilies?

Post 54

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

For those who are concerned that smiley - strawberries might be 'out of season' let me offer you this http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/events/tips-for-seeing-the-best-of-the-2015-florida-strawberry-festival/2218945

We are in the high season around here.

smiley - strawberry

F smiley - dolphin S

Any new Smilies?

Post 55

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

smiley - strawberriessmiley - strawberry
>> And they remained Tesco's strawberries. <<
smiley - ok
And ours remain h2g2 smilies. The ones in our local stores
are picked green somewhere in the drought ridden sou'west,
thrown onto huge 18 wheelers and driven cross country for
4 or 5 days (such long hauls are weather dependent). The hope
is they will continues to swell with US pride and whatever warm
moist gases keep them sterile in boxes made from cactus paper.

They arrive here huge (twice a normal field berry), reddish on the
outside and hollow, green and watery inside - more like an avocado*
- possibly a clue to the genetics involved. They are crap. I have finally
learned not to be tempted and to rely on old fashioned local preserves,
jams and the new quick-frozen and freeze-dried products created locally.
smiley - senior
smiley - strawberries
~jwf~
*http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/avocado

Any new Smilies?

Post 56

Pink Paisley

One of our UK supermarkets, Asda (was ASsociated DAiries) is now owned by Walmart, and it may or may not be a co-incidence, that towards the end of the English / Scottish strawberry season, they often have USA strawberries alongside our own. Don't ask me how the economics of that works because I can't imagine!

They are usually a peculiar maroon colour and massive. I have no idea what they taste like, but if they didn't sell, they wouldn't get this far.

PP.

Any new Smilies?

Post 57

I would so* so* so* love to have some strawberries, right about now smiley - drool but... no nothing on earth would make me buy them, out of season... only utter ... otter disapointment could possibly result.

consequently I am, semeingly making do with only bacon sausage and eggs, as a substitute until English fruit is back apon us... so unhealthy... but... smiley - laugh tasty. smiley - snork - ahh... I've relenquished a bit; but only so far as some yogart that claimes to have strawberry in it smiley - snorksmiley - silly

Any new Smilies?

Post 58

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes
>> if they didn't sell, they wouldn't get this far. <<
My inner cynic says the opposite is probably as true;
that they get that far because they aren't selling. They
are gassed with some ugly toxic mist that keeps them
swelling and changing colour. The purple is what would
happen to the ones we get if they were on a truck or in
the stores for more than a week. Still hollow, green and
watery inside with no flavour at all. I also suspect air freight
is exposed to extreme cold at high altitudes and minus 50C
would turn anybody's berries purple.
smiley - strawberries
~jwf~

Any new Smilies?

Post 59

My sister-in-law cooked a marvelous feast for my family yesterday. Dessert was chocolate cake smiley - chocsmiley - cake with blackberries, blueberries, and smiley - strawberrysmiley - strawberry. They tasted in season to me.

Any new Smilies?

Post 60

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I want a bacon smiley..to go with the fried eggs smiley. Failing that a full English would be great..as a meal and a smiley.smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more