A Conversation for Ask h2g2

So, where is everybody?

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

Now that is interesting - I see you online, Rod, and an invisible Hiker, so that makes 2 hikers online smiley - laugh

So, where is everybody?

Post 22

Icy North

~jwf~ was reluctant to mention the M-word earlier (post 17). Well, there's no reason to be afraid: just look at the word's etymology...

'Moderation' derives from two words:

1. mode - the manner in which a thing is done

2. erato - the muse of erotic poetry

voila!

So, where is everybody?

Post 23

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Interesting. BrownEyedGirl is shown as online, along with 428 other researchers and last posted in 2007.

Bunwipes. Online, but only two posts. Ace's welcome, by Feisor (Another smiley - elvis?) and one other, Sep 5, 2006.

And only picked two, at random.

The smiley - ghost in the smiley - rocket?

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

So, where is everybody?

Post 24

Baron Grim

Just ignore it. It's just as borked now as it was several years ago and there's no sign of it being fixed any time soon.

So, where is everybody?

Post 25

bobstafford

So That has established nobody knows how many active members there are smiley - erm

There is also a consensus that there are fewer than there were.
So how do we get more members, or get lost members to return.
And also keep the membership we have.

Anyone actually know the correct membership numbers?

So, where is everybody?

Post 26

Pink Paisley

It shows me as being logged in, but Im definitely not. I'm in bed and asleep right now.

THAT'S how borked it is!

PP.

So, where is everybody?

Post 27

Pink Paisley

But Jenny (and Fred the Cheese), who were logged in earlier (last on-site in 2002), are no longer here.

PP.

So, where is everybody?

Post 28

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Indeed. And I've just checked on 20 researchers starting from the top, of which six live, 5 have vanished, but were dead, in 10 mins, and the there 9 died somewhere between 1999 and 2013, but still she up.

Just a random straw poll, so if you see 150 online, reckon that to be a true figure-ish of 40?
Or 25%?

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

So, where is everybody?

Post 29

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - laugh
It's the cyber-zombie apocalypso.
smiley - skull
smiley - cheers
~jwf~

So, where is everybody?

Post 30

Icy North

{if you see 150 online, reckon that to be a true figure-ish of 40?}

You assume some sort of correlation. Why?

So, where is everybody?

Post 31

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I haven't accessed the data for a while, but a separate tool used to show about 40 people on the site at any given time. That tool does not discriminate between logged in users or other readers though.

smiley - towel

So, where is everybody?

Post 32

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

"It *is* quieter. Even places like the Atelier (which I remember routinely getting 40+ posts in any 24 hour period) can now go days without a word."

What's the Atelier?

smiley - pirate

So, where is everybody?

Post 33

Icy North

It's a community within a community here: A304354

So, where is everybody?

Post 34

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Milla is correct.

We have many site visitors constantly reading the Entries from the Edited Guide.
We have a separate cohort of Researchers, but not got a fix to enable you to see who else is online at the same time as yourselves. There are always dozens of you, as Milla said.

We do have a 'who's online' which shows Pliny users, so if you're using the legacy skins, Brunel, Alabaster or Classic Goo, you're invisible. Sorry folks! If I had magic powers, I'd remedy this. We have many things we want, and we're all aware of where we need to be progressing to.

So, where is everybody?

Post 35

You can call me TC

On the front page in Pliny (which I sometimes go to in desperation when my own conversations list hasn't moved for a few hours) there is a feature "latest activity". It rarely shows more activity than my own convo list.

However, there are a few mysterious corners there which sometimes crop up. Quite intriguing and absolutely nothing to do with the mainstream conversations going on here.

So, where is everybody?

Post 36

You can call me TC

We could all make a belated resolution to do one or all of the following in the next week or so:

- start a thread in Ask
- write an entry
- go along to PR and read and comment on an entry.
(I would say "write a journal" but some of us are still recovering from last November)

That wouldn't be asking much.

So, where is everybody?

Post 37

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Oh yes TC - I know I keep asking, but Entries from the wider membership is the way to go. We need to encourage people who don't often write, to put together a short Entry about a place, an event, an activity, somebody they know who has made a difference to the planet.

As long as it is interesting, informative and factual - the Guide Editors, Galaxy Babe, Bluebottle and SashaQ are there to help get your Entry into the Edited Guide.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

So, where is everybody?

Post 38

SashaQ - happysad

"We do have a 'who's online' which shows Pliny users, so if you're using the legacy skins, Brunel, Alabaster or Classic Goo, you're invisible. Sorry folks!"

Just to add to that, the Who's Online in Pliny only shows Pliny Users who are also using some version of Internet Explorer, I think - I use various browsers, and only when I used IE8 or something did I actually show up as being online there. I'm in IE11 sometimes these days, and still don't appear to appear... The invisible researcher had been online every time I've looked this week, though, so it could be me smiley - laugh

So, where is everybody?

Post 39

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

ooh, that is curious Sasha - smiley - biggrin I use Chrome and I show up.
I never could get the hang of IE.

So, where is everybody?

Post 40

bobstafford

Entries are a tough challenge for many is it possable that to overcome this we could consider another category of shorter more practical entries. For the sake of argument call them "life entries" and list them separately, things like how to make an article of clothing, taking photographs many simpler things 500 to 1000 words and try and encourage more input. It will still need editing for safety issues

Its probably a daft idea

Key: Complain about this post