A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Which salt?

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

"There's a modern tendency to be afraid of food. [...] You've got to eat *something!*"

I can't speak for everyone, but the stuff that we're bombarded with in newspapers, magazines, etc definitely contributes to my eating disorder smiley - erm I used to be obsessed with counting calories, and didn't count enough, but these days I struggle with food because I am thinking constantly about trying to balance things, and if something doesn't fit in with the balance, then I am likely not to eat it even though I need to eat something...

I'm very worried about "lo salt" stuff that they add to many crisps these days instead of using salt, as the lo salt is not counted in the nutrition information but isn't any better for people than NaCl... I know people who eat more than 1 pack of crisps a week, though, so I hope 1 pack a week will be fine for me.

I definitely agree with smiley - chef - cooks should not overdo the salt in the cooking, then people should taste the dish and add salt only if they think it is necessary to enhance the flavour for their own tastebuds smiley - grr I am very sensitive to it, though, so if cooks overdo the salt, it just tastes salty to me, and I lose all the other flavours.

Which salt?

Post 22

Pink Paisley

0.9%

Probably suitable for cooking cabbage in.

PP.

Which salt?

Post 23

Orcus

I could be corrected by a medic here but I would assume that a saline drip will have isotonic amounts of salt in it. I.e. The amount that a healthy blood plasma would contain.

This is actually quite small - when I make an homemade isotonic drink for cycling it's about a quarter measure of standard squash (i.e. diluted 4 times over what most would consider the normal amount if that makes sense) plus 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt in 500 mL.

High salt levels in a saline drip would be quickly lethal. That's one good way that medics can finish off someone dying anyway.

Which salt?

Post 24

Orcus

Or as cryptically posted above what Pink Paisley just said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saline_(medicine)

Which salt?

Post 25

Pink Paisley

Sorry. I've never really managed to get to grips with the reply / link feature here.

PP.

Which salt?

Post 26

Orcus

No probs, it wasn't till I posted that I realised you'd answered the same Q

Which salt?

Post 27

SiliconDioxide

At work, the caterers supply some stuff that is not quite salt in an attempt to bolster the health credentials of the food they serve. I don't know what it is but it is utterly useless for treating toothache.

Which salt?

Post 28

Orcus

Lo-salt is potassium rather than sodium chloride I think

Which salt?

Post 29

Icy North

Here's some info on potassium chloride in salt:

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fresh-ideas/low-sodium-dinners/is-low-sodium-salt-actually-healthy.htm

"… potassium chloride, while safe in small dosages, is the toxin of choice for many states' lethal injection procedures, so it's definitely not something you want to ingest in excess."

Which salt?

Post 30

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks Icy - that is informative

"Most low-sodium salts advise you to consult a doctor before consuming"

Hopefully that means that crisps with lo salt on aren't too bad, as they don't have a health warning on them, but I think a maximum of 1 bag a week is probably best... smiley - crisps

Which salt?

Post 31

Orcus

That article is pretty misinformed at best.

Anything injected intravenously in too high quantity can kill you - drink too much water in a day it can kill you.

If it was that bad they wouldn't be selling it in a supermarket - without chemical hazard warnings and being in the kitchen cleaning section at least.

Which salt?

Post 32

Orcus

The LD50 values for NaCl and KCl are actually pretty similar - there's very little difference in toxicity between them

(3000 mg/kg v 2300 mg/kg)

Which salt?

Post 33

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I've met people whose potassium levels are too high. They are told to cut back on high-potassium foods like bananas and oranges. This may be a medical interactive, as some of the newer blood pressure meds prevent potassium excretion from the body.

Which salt?

Post 34

Teasswill

I don't put any extra salt in when cooking, except what's in cheese, stock cubes, ready sauces, etc nor do I usually add it when eating (I do like a bit with roast potatoes). Pepper adds a bit of zest if needed.
Does sea salt really taste any different from any other type?

It is really annoying when people add condiments, sauces etc without tasting the food I've cooked first.

Which salt?

Post 35

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Annoying it may be, but no one is hurt but the ones who it.

I've never noticed much difference between table salt and sea salt. Isn't the sea somewhat polluted anyway?

Key: Complain about this post