A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Shock horror. St George's flag seen in Rochester......

Post 1

Pink Paisley

Emily Thornbury has resigned within hours of falling flat on her face over a twitter squawk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30142579

But what NOBODY on either side of the 'media storm' (in a teacup), is saying, is just what was wrong.

It looks very much to me as though she saw the flags and thought 'Yuk. How common', or golly gosh, the place is full of racisits, but all politicians are prepared to say is things like 'it was disrespectful'.

Would YOU like to live next door to a house with 3 flags of St George hanging on the front, a white van in the front garden and faux Corinthian (?) columns flanking the door?

Here you go. I wouldn't. It just looks plain tacky to me. (And suggests that someone living there doesn't share my political views).

PP.

Post 2

Xanatic

Certainly not. Ionic columns perhaps, but corinthian columns is where I draw the line.

Post 3

Pink Paisley

ThornBERRY.

(I'm from up north).

PP.

Post 4

swl

They're not Corinthian columns I don't think.

But the householder is a cagefighter so I doubt many people will point out his tastelessness.

Post 5

Icy North

It's a delicious predicament, isn't it. Nobody is allowed to say what Ms Thorn-berry thought for fear of having admitted they even thought it. I bet she's fuming - she needn't have resigned.

Post 6

quotes

Ed Miliband agreed with her that resignation was the best thing to, so I think she had to resign.

It's ironic that normally it's a UKIP member who has to quit for showing themselves to be judgemental and prejudice about different cultures.

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

What nobody seems to have taken her to task for is showing the number plate. That's an invasion of privacy that shouldn't have happened.

She wanted to say: Look, they're all Kippers, in not so many words and therefore mental and can't be trusted with a vote.

There. I've said it.

She should have resigned only because she seems to not be very aware of what politicians should actually be doing and how they should behave

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

With apologies to Tip O'Neill, all politics is loco. smiley - biggrin

Post 9

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Well I get annoyed at the local White Van Man for parking outside my house and displaying multiple St George's flags on his house(and van) at every opportunity.I've mentioned it a few times on social media as well including images.

It's a long British tradition of moaning about your neighbours and the way they stick all sorts of stuff outside or on their houses.Just waiting for the first set of Christmas decorations to go up.Then I'll really be exploring my British and English heritage to complain bitterly at the unsightly bloated 6ft high blow up Father Christmas that my neighbour regularly displays attached to his roof. smiley - winkeye

smiley - tea

Post 10

Bluebottle

If I volunteer to live next to a house with a garden large enough to park a white van on the front and hang 3 St George's Flags out the window, does that mean I get to have a house too? The 2-bed flat's a little cramped with 4 of us living in.

Just as long as I don't have to live in Rochester, though. Although I'd enjoy visiting the castles in Kent in the summer, it would be a bit of a commute.

<BB<

Post 11

Icy North

I visited Rochester once many years ago, and have a very good memory of a nice day out. The town was attractive, and it had a fascinating castle and great cathedral. I guess they would each have flown the St George's Cross. We wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Post 12

Bluebottle

You get a good view of the cathedral from the castle. I visited the castle and cathedral a few years ago - and even 'Dickens World', the world's first indoor Charles Dickens Theme Park.

<BB<

Post 13

KB

The world's first, eh?

Hard to believe, now that every town has one! smiley - tongueincheek

Post 14

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" complain bitterly at the unsightly bloated 6ft high blow up Father Christmas that my neighbour regularly displays attached to his roof." [Still Incognita]

Father Christmas, if he exists, might be exactly six feet tall, which would make the depiction of him an accurate one. If someone made the blowup smaller than that, who knows how Father Christmas might act on his disappointment at being shortchanged? smiley - winkeye

Post 15

Hoovooloo

" Nobody is allowed to say what Ms Thorn-berry thought for fear of having admitted they even thought it."

Nobody is allowed to say what Ms Thornberry thought because they don't know what she thought. They only know what THEY themselves thought when they saw the picture. She's being punished for what everyone is daren't admit they're thinking.

UKIP have won.

Post 16

Bluebottle

Did she think that if more England flags were hung out the front, the house would be able to sail away just like the Crimson Permanent Assurance in 'The Meaning of Life'?

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post