A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is anything happening with Phantom of the Opera right now?

Post 1

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

On my film blog, I have a review of the 1925 silent film 'The Phantom of the Opera'. I wrote it at the end of November last year. Well, recently it's had an absolute glut of pageviews, at least by my standards. In the last month, it has had more than double the views of the second placed article.
Now, I suppose some people might have cottoned on to my excellent prose, or developed a random interest in 1920s silent cinema, but the pattern matches quite well with what happened to my review of Interstellar 5555 when the new Daft Punk album came out, or my review of Warrior - in which I referenced the Klitschko brothers - when one of them had a big boxing match coming up.
The thing is, I can't see anything particularly big and Phantom-related in news feeds, etc. Is there a new film version coming up? Or a new run on the Andrew Lloyd Webber stage musical somewhere? What is behind one article's sudden random popularity?

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I can't explain that, but I've noticed a glut of adaptations of earlier classics whenever they enter the public domain due to the copyright laws. Hence no fewer than three adaptations of "Peter Pan" in the mid-1950s [one by Disney, one by Charlap, and one by Bernstein], and three different musical adaptations of "Phantom of the Opera" in the mid-1980s [one by Lloyd Webber, one by Yeston, and one using Gounod and other French romantic opera arias].

So, I'm betting that Lloyd Webber's version has been reintroduced somewhere. I think it's even here in Boston, or on its way here.

Post 3

Working Stagehand

The new production is currently on tour in North America - currently in Atlanta GA, I believe. It ran a sold out tour of the UK & has come across the pond.
I understand there have been some changes in the staging itself (it's coming back to Tulsa next April & how it fits into the theater have changed since the last time it was here).

Post 4

You can call me TC

My sister-in-law has invited me to go with her to see it near us in January - that will be my birthday present. (Probably a different ensemble to the one Stagehand mentions above.)

So it may well be down to people planning on seeing it in the near future, and wanting to gen up on other versions first. Very laudable.

Post 5

Xanatic

Someone named Marc Cherry is making a musical tv-series of it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more