A Conversation for Ask h2g2

False Advertising

Post 61

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Rice does have a fabulus flavour of its own smiley - zen Or, to be more accurate, really tasty good rice does (try tilda pure basmati; 10 to 11 minutes into cooking, the smell hits you, so gorgeous and fragrent (interestingly more fragrent than so-called 'fragrent rice', IMO) smiley - zensmiley - drool

False Advertising

Post 62

KB

Maybe so, but I wouldn't eat it on its own for dinner unless I had no alternative...

False Advertising

Post 63

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

There is somethign to be said for eating a bowl of plain, unflavoured rice. its a very medatitive experience smiley - zen Mind, it does work a little better with a nice chicken madras, or lamb dansak besides it, a few pompadoms, a pishwari naan, some onion bhajis, with mint dip, some sargra allu, and... damnit. I've only just had breakfast and I'm craving a full Indian banquit smiley - laughsmiley - drool Mmm... Proper persian biriani smiley - drool kashmiri chicken smiley - drool methi smiley - drool sod it. I@m going to the Indian su supermarket, thats solved the dilema of what to eat the next few days..... smiley - laugh

False Advertising

Post 64

Pink Paisley

Probably the only legitimate use for bran flakes.

Tom Kerridge powders them and uses them in pastry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tasty_treacle_tart_68276

PP.

False Advertising

Post 65

SashaQ - happysad

Yes, I think there is something to do with taste-ability in relation to some of these products.

I can't say I've found rice to be particularly flavoursome on its own, although jasmine sticky rice is what I call tasty smiley - drool

However, the malt in branflakes is also what I would call tasty, so that's why I like them. I eat shreddies too, because they are denser, so the same volume contains more calories, which is what I need, but their taste is nothing compared with branflakes!

I notice the Shreddies advert no longer says "knitted by nanas" - that used to annoy me, because no way are they knitted, they're just layers of mesh stuck together - so now they just fuel nanas to stock shelves...

That's really interesting about Coca Cola - I had noticed the Classic Coke branding, but didn't realise what it meant (not that I drink much pop so I probably didn't notice the changes in flavour).

False Advertising

Post 66

KB

Yes, "knitted by nanas" was silly. What they should have said and probably meant to was "layers of mesh welded together by nanobots."

Much more sensible.

False Advertising

Post 67

SashaQ - happysad

Indeed smiley - ok

False Advertising

Post 68

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't mind the taste of bran, but its texture can become a lot like cardboard if the concentration is too strong.

False Advertising

Post 69

towelshop

I bet the TSB didn't say yes to everyone.

False Advertising

Post 70

Bluebottle

I thought they only claimed to like saying 'yes', not that they would always say 'yes'.

The bank I used to work for before it closed still isn't a trendy wine bar...smiley - blue

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 71

Cheerful Dragon

Kellogg's didn't advertise bran flakes with "They're very tasty". It was Kellogg's Fruit and Fibre - "Apples, hazelnuts, bananas, raisins, coconuts, sultanas", plus the bran flakes. I'm guessing it was the fruit that was supposed to make them 'very tasty'.smiley - erm

Back in the days of "The car in front is a Toyota", it was usually a Ford Fiesta being driven slowly, often by an elderly person.

Many years ago, the Co-op was advertised as "Your caring, sharing Co-op", a slogan dreamed up by Murray Walker. Somebody from the company told him, "Actually, Murray, we don't care and we don't share". They still OKed the adverts, though.

False Advertising

Post 72

Bluebottle

Evian - 'There's something in the water'

So basically the ingredients in a bottle of water are:
smiley - starWater
smiley - starSomething

Somehow I'm not convinced by their quality control. What is this 'something'? Arsenic? A Great White smiley - shark? Jenkin's Ear? Do they know? Do we get a clue? Is it compatible with my balanced dietary requirements?

<BB<

False Advertising

Post 73

As a connoisseur of water, I can honestly say that it takes very little to make one water taste different from another. The tap water in my house makes my stomach hurt, but most jugs of spring water taste fine, albeit different one form another. Poland Springs water, which I buy in a pinch, is okay if a bit mineral-tasting. Everyone keeps telling me that my tap water *should* taste all right to me, but my stomach knows better. smiley - yuk

Dopes it really matter which minerals/impurities are the reason for the difference? Not to me. As long as I can find something I like, I don't worry.

False Advertising

Post 74

swl

Tap water in Scotland has grown foul over the years in some areas. Especially when you boil it.

False Advertising

Post 75

Luckily, I've never gone to Scotland for the water. smiley - biggrin

Dialogue from "Casablanca":

"What brought you to Casablanca, Rick?"

"I came for the water."

"But there isn't any water. It's a desert."

"I was misinformed."

False Advertising

Post 76

Deb

Re branflakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlnNLyG-Il8

Definitely tasty, tasty, very, very tasty.

Deb smiley - cheerup

False Advertising

Post 77

SashaQ - happysad

In a competition between Fruit & Fibre smiley - yuk and Bran Flakes smiley - biggrin I know which ones I find tasty smiley - laugh It's the banana I detest - ever since I used to have to have that antibiotic medicine stuff that was flavoured with "banana" to make it taste "better"... smiley - ill

False Advertising

Post 78

KB

Dried banana chips are awful things, even worse than the bran. Bananas on their own are ok, although they are a fuel-in-the-tank food I eat for nutrition rather than pleasure. smiley - laugh

False Advertising

Post 79

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

I quite like dried apple, though, but it is rather like eating apple juice infused foam smiley - laugh

False Advertising

Post 80

I stolidly kept bananas as part of my breakfast for decades, until I finally jettisoned them after the doctor told me I had to lose weight. Sure enough, eating an egg or a salad instead of a banana has led to a modest loss. Who expected that? smiley - huh

Key: Complain about this post