A Conversation for Ask h2g2

PD

Post 1

clzoomer

Why am I a bit wobbly? Glad you asked. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease six months ago. Anybody else on this big adventure?

PD

Post 2

Pink Paisley

Best wishes to you CL.

Parkinsons is one of those diseases that I have never encountered in my family or circle of friends.

I hope it's progress is slow.

PP.

PD

Post 3

Phoenician Trader

I had a very good friend with moderately advanced Parkinsons who had the best lover ever. He was all she could ask for. It was hard but life was still fabulous.

They are still doing brilliantly, but I have moved away.

I really hope you never get it that tough, but also that the people around you are as wonderful as those around her.

smiley - lighthouse

PD

Post 4

clzoomer

Thank you both, progress is slow, Stage One now and probably years before I get to Stage Five. L-Dopa is brilliant and yes, it does have the side effect of increased libido.

PD

Post 5

clzoomer

BTW, if you want a fairly good explanation of Stage one, try the film 'Love and Other Drugs'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758752/

PD

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"Love and Other Drugs" includes a scene where Parkinsons patients get up and talk about the challenges they face in their lives. Many of them do it with grit and good humor. I found the scene to be quite inspiring. smiley - smiley

PD

Post 7

clzoomer

Obviously that is one of my favourite scenes as well. smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

This post has been removed.

PD

Post 9

You can call me TC

I've been hearing a lot about the deep brain surgery (or whatever it's called) as a surefire cure for Parkinsons. It sounds very radical and may be still in the experimental stage, but may be worth seeking out in a few years' time, if and when it establishes itself and becomes a routine treatment.

Good luck with everything.

PD

Post 10

clzoomer

smiley - ta Yes it is ab option but one of last resort as far as I can tell. Lots and lots of online stuff, though.

PD

Post 11

That's news to me. I didn't know there was *anything* that could be a surefire cure.

PD

Post 12

clzoomer

'Surefire' never is with anything I suppose, but it does sound promising. There are EU tests going on for a vaccine right now as well. Fingers crossed. smiley - smiley

PD

Post 13

Phoenician Trader

Deep brain surgery and "surefire cure" are two phrases I have rarely encountered together before!

smiley - lighthouse

PD

Post 14

Does lobotomy fall in there somewhere?

PD

Post 15

You can call me TC

No, I think they place a kind of needle at a certain point and it makes an immediate difference. The patient is conscious during the process and notices it immediately. This obviously needs more research, but it seems to have worked on some people already.

So nothing is removed, it's just that electrical stimulus re-organise the synapses (in layman's terms, that is, before someone comes along with the brain surgeons's version of what happens)

Please excuse if this gets posted twice - connection went wonky. Crikey, if they can't get that right, I'm not sure I would want to have my brain fiddled with.

PD

Post 16

Bald Bloke

There was a TV documentary about that, I think it might have been about the first patient to have that sort of "Open Skull" treatment it was a long time ago and I don't remember which channel.

Key: Complain about this post