A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A question about the Scottish referendum

Post 101

swl

Surely what is "special" is a political and economic union that has lasted 300 years and which is so comfortable with it's democratic traditions that votes like this are possible?

In a world of shifting political alliances and with nationalism rearing it's ugly head all over, this is a great example to set.

Post 102

Secretly Not Here Any More

I agree with swl. Let's face it, the nation-state is becoming increasingly irrelevant in a global society. United countries and regions with devolved local governments have to be better than either going it alone, or being part of some monolithic top-down system.

Post 103

Phoenician Trader

I'm with Sho - I think something that could have been quite special has slipped away.

The idea that Scotland could be a Scandinavian style paradise was attractive even with the compromises that would have had to be accepted when push came to shove. Yes, there were some incredible and highly unlikely promises made by both sides, but the vision was great.

The thing that I like about the Prime Minister's speech is that, for the first time, it made it clear that even the PM recognises the UK parliament is not fit for purpose. He didn't quite say that the leadership of the parliament also isn't fit for purpose but one guesses that Cameron, Clegg and Miliband have growing suspicions.

We will see what happens!

smiley - lighthouse

Post 104

Sho - employed again!

Yes, what PT said.

I would really liked to have seen a great shake-up of the British political landscape

Post 105

Beatrice

I'm hopeful that we WILL see change. Neither side really stood for the "everything's fine the way it is" status quo, both accepted that something better change, they just were approaching that from a different angle. It has been a week that underlined the old truism about politics being the art of the possible, and hey - devo max was what most voters wanted anyway, and which (if promises are kept) they will get!

Well done Scotland, I do admire the keenness and intelligence and passion which we have observed. But I'm going to declare democracy the winner.

Post 106

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

it seems like Labour is already trying to pull out of the promise of further devolution... perhaps its the way mr cameron is phrasing it

Post 107

Peanut

Won't the 'English only' policies mean that the Conservatives have them over a barrel?

Post 108

well that was always going to be the case wasn't it....

Post 109

swl

smiley - sigh Labour arguing "black" because the Tories said "white". How depressingly petty and familiar.

Post 110

Phoenician Trader

I don't think things are going to be that simple. Firstly there is going to be an election in a year and I don't think anybody is safe to win it.

Secondly I suspect a lot of people in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland will justifiably hold the major parties to account over Scotland's near departure. A credible federal/Scottish plan can no longer be an afterthought.

Lastly, UKIP has the same sort of grass-roots appeal in England as the SNP has in Scotland (I would not make further comparisons because the SNP is a far classier organisation). I think the UK separatists will split the conservatives as effectively as the SNP split Labour.

In other words, there may be some basic name-calling right now, but if the major parties don't play straight I think they will struggle. However, if they do tackle the problems as the leaders they purport to be, it could be fascinating.

smiley - lighthouse

Post 111

Peanut

People aren't going to hold the major parties to account for the near departure of Scotland. They are going to hold them to account for the offer that made to Scotland to stay.

Being English UKIP grass roots appeal is scaring me, witless, she says politely

Post 112

Peanut

er, smiley - yikes there should have been a comma in there, being English, UKIP grassroots appeal...

Post 113

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The part Il iked best in Cameron's speech was

"It has reminded us how fortunate we are that we are able to settle these vital issues at the ballot box, peacefully and calmly."

That's a sign of progress, it seems to me. In 1776, a certain group of British colonies was *not* invited to obtain independence through a referendum. smiley - winkeye Not that I was there... smiley - senior

Post 114

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

People keep bandying the word 'Tory' around.

I wonder how many actually know the meaning of the word Tory, and can differentiate between a Conservative, and a Tory?

I know many conservatives, but only a couple of Tories, and I distance myself from them as much as possible because I seriously dislike them.

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 115

ITIWBS

The difference between Tories and Conservatives?

Like the difference between say, Tarleton and General Howe in the American War of Independance?

Tarleton was an undisputable Tory.

Howe was a 'Tory' in the Americsn lexicon of the time, just because he was actively supporting the interest of the British crown, just as Americans loyal to the crown were called 'Tories' out of hand.

One can dispute that Howe might even be properly styled a conservative.

He was remarkably liberal by the standards of his time, had even actively favored American independance politically, prior to the actual outbreak of hostilities.

Say more, please?

Post 116

riots in george square smiley - sadface
trouble stirred up by some thugs from the BT side...
if this is what happens when they win thank goodness they didnt loose...

Post 117

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Thugs on either side of a debate often can't just leave matters alone.This maybe as much about religion as about the yes or no divide..smiley - sadface

Post 118

Pink Paisley

'trouble stirred up by some thugs from the BT side'

smiley - yikes

British Telecom would be able to continue trading in Scotland wouldn't they?

PP

Post 119

swl

Win or lose, the same idiots would have been out doing the same thing last night. It's Weegie Neds indulging in their sectarian violence and extremism - as they do most weeks. Scotland's shame, but it's nothing new or unusual.

Post 120

I agree its Neds and they would have acted like that no matter the result it saddens me that my countries largest city is represented by idiots like these. Its not even real sectarianism I doubt any of them are religious its just hooliganism under the guise of sectarianism under the further guise of better together. At the end of the day those people involved in the riot are just thugs

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more