A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How old is too old for?

Post 1

Teasswill

Some suggestions from the news…
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/style/487309/Fashion-trends-How-old-is-too-old

Do you agree?

How old is too old for?

Post 2

bobstafford

Its only trendy rubbish do what you want and s"d every one else providing you dont insult anyone or involve them, or break the law or scare the horses

smiley - ok

How old is too old for?

Post 3

Mol - on the new tablet

I don't really agree with any of that survey. I stopped wearing short skirts because after having children I looked a bit 'oh lordy' in them, not because I'd reached a particular age. My legs are still lovely enough to show off, but the overall effect looks wrong with a fuller figure.

And some of those things I don't think are appropriate at any age, such as behaving outrageously at a stag or hen do, or snogging in the street.

Mol

How old is too old for?

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

all rediculus.... with the possible exception of spedos, baseball caps and.... err listening to Radio 1... which really arn't acceptible things at any age IMO smiley - laughsmiley - silly Just sod what anyone else thinks, and be whoever one wants to be, irrelivent of age smiley - zen

How old is too old for?

Post 5

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I immediately want to go out and do ALL the things I'm not supposed to do at 62.

What complete and utter piffle.Who does these 'surveys'? Who thinks this rubbish up for an article?

I intend growing old disgracefully and I'm going to do what's legal until the day I die.smiley - cool

How old is too old for?

Post 6

bobstafford

So what is the oddest or out of ordinary thing you ave done smiley - run

How old is too old for?

Post 7

bobstafford

AND would you do it NOW smiley - smiley

How old is too old for?

Post 8

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

You're never too old to do odd, unusueal, strange, or... just downright stupid, silly or ludicrus things.... smiley - boing well, people think I'm bad.... the rest of my family is worse... especially the older ones smiley - snorksmiley - boingsmiley - seniorsmiley - boingsmiley - silly And... anyhow... its kinda easier in some ways, to get, and be, more and more excentric with age smiley - boing

How old is too old for?

Post 9

Cheerful Dragon

There are lots of things on that list I wouldn't do at any age (watching reality TV and wearing really high heels, for example) and some I stopped doing some time ago, like wearing short skirts and listening to Radio 1, but for reasons other than age. I think people can wear what they like and do as they like as long as it doesn't inconvenience anybody else. So hubby and I will keep wearing baseball caps regardless of our age.

Has anyone else noticed that the cut-off age for dancing at a night club is 3? I didn't think children were allowed into night clubs.

How old is too old for?

Post 10

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

"you shouldn't be listening to Radio 1, getting piercings or wearing Speedos if you're over 29."

I don't even know what Radio 1 is. Piercings seem of more interest to females, which rules me out. I've been swimming for at least 50 years, and have almost never worn Speedos. There are plenty of other good options. But why would it be a big deal if I *did* wear Speedos? Only six or seven other people ever see me swim in the pool, and I doubt they would care one way or another. People who answer poll questions usually wish the questioner would just go away and leave them alone.

"Having a tattoo is viewed as a teenage rebellion and most of us reckon that 31 is the cut off point for a new one."

And how, pray tell, would anyone know which of your tattoos are old and which are new? How do the pollsters figure that the teenage years extend to 30?

"Ending emails or texts with a kiss (X) to people who aren’t family or friends is considered "embarrassing" for anyone over the age of 29."

I would consider it embarrassing for anyone at any age, but I expect that there's a gender divide here.

" no one should use emoticons such as smiley faces in their texts over the age of 26"

I'm not sure why the previous question applied to emails *and* texts, but this one only applies to texts. Is it because people who text a lot are just naturally a lot sillier than people who send emails? smiley - biggrin

" men should avoid baseball caps after 32 and if they are older than 25 they shouldn't don one backwards."

I disagree with the first part of this, mainly because men over 32 are more likely to show some hair loss. Does society really want men to have fewer options in covering their lack of hair? Plus, then original [and still best] reason for wearing a baseball cap is
so that you can show support for your favorite team. No, this prohibition is just plain wrong! smiley - grr

"Goatee beards are restricted to the under-34s and ponytails should be banished when a guy turns 30."

This is needlessly picky. If you look good in a goatee, your age should not be a consideration. Brad Pitt is mentioned as an exception, but what about Willy Nelson? Were they leaving Willy out because including him would weaken the position they wanted to push on everybody?

"women over 48 should opt for a more modest swimsuit no matter how good their body is."

And this would mean what? Are the style police going to demand to see a woman's license to see how old she is? The only style advice I would give to much older women is to avoid wearing short-sleeves. Carol Channing did this in her 80s, and it was distracting.

How old is too old for?

Post 11

Sho - employed again!

I'm 50. I do what I like pretty much - what I don't like is people looking at me and thinking "blimey, she's way too old for that" so a lot of things that *I* think will provoke that reactiion are things I won't do.

Here is the complete list (with my comments between *)

1. Having a new tattoo - cut off age 31
*I got my first to celebrate my 30th, and have had one for each round birthday since*

2. Routinely ending a text or email to a stranger with a kiss - 35
*I wouldn't ever do that anyway*

3. Using text short-forms such as LOL - Lots of Love - 29
*well, I was using the internet and things like it a LONG time ago. Apart from the fact that LOL doesn't mean Lots of Love, I have used lots and lots of TLAs and other acronyms because when you're in a hurry and using phrases repeatedly it does save time to use shorthand that the other person/people understand*

4. Using emoticons in texts and tweets - 26
*sure, why not - but not business ones or on inappropriate occasions*

5. Wearing a baseball cap - 32
*well, that depends on the person not their agee. I really don't understand the youth here who wear them brand new, a bit too small so they perch right on the top of the head, and leave the peak flat*

6. Listening to Radio 1 - 29
*haven't listened to it since I stopped liking what they play. I do, however listen to the local German equivalent sometimes. It's ok, but I prefer Radio 4*

7. Wearing a bikini - 48
*I don't because I don't sunbathe but if I did, I would and stuff anyone who thinks I shouldn't*

8. Riding a skateboard - 26
*I've always wanted to try it, but never had the opportunity, if I had the chance now I'd take it*

9. Wearing a football replica shirt - 37
*Seriously? You should wear one of those on matchdays only, IMO, at home, in the pub or whatever. In fact I'll be wearing mine at the Broussia Park tomorrow, as will smiley - chef and our friends of various ages who will be with us*

10. Having a ponytail (for a man) - 29
*that depends on how much hair they have and if it suits them etc*

11. Having a goatee beard - 34
*I shaved mine off when everyone else got one smiley - winkeye again, it's up to the individual*

12. Having a body piercing such a belly-button ring - 29
*again, personal preference*

13. Wearing a crop top - 27
*time and place. It has nothing to do with age and figure, for me, but the judgypants who criticise people with "less than ideal" figures can take a running jump*

14. Wearing very high heels - 34
*you will have to prise my very high heels from my cold dead feet*

15. Going to a music festival - 41
*depends on the music, if I like it, I'll go*

16. Kissing in the street - 24
*kissing is ok, it's cute at whatever age, but sloppy snogging and groping - bleuch*

17. Wearing Speedos - 26
*see 7 (although I really don't like them on men of any age))*

18. Watching reality TV - 31
*The Proms is reality TV. GBBO is reality TV... I suspect they mean things like Big Brothere and I'm a Celebrity - they shouldn't be broadcast IMO, but as long as there's an audience...*

19. Wearing a mini-skirt - 27
*Up to the wearer - a barely covering the bum isn't appropriate in all settings. My best feature is my legs and I'll wear whatever I like to show them off*

20. Voting for an act on X Factor - 26
*IMO these shows shouldn't be on air, but as long as they are, and the costs are clearly explained, why not - however old you are?*

21. Dance at a nightclub - 3
*that looks like it could be a mistake, or a joke but again: as long as you're not hurting anyone, why not?*

22. Dress up and behave outrageously at a hen or stag do - 37
*nobody should be doing that... ok, nobody should be doing that and irritating other people*

23. Ride a snowboard - 36
*same as skateboard for me*

24. Wearing Croc sandals - 33
*they have their uses, I wear mine in the garden*

25. High fiving anyone - 27
*it's uncomfortable seeing it increasingly on the TV in the UK - it's not part of our culture really, so people don't do it automatically and don't know how to react. So, among your friends who also do it, it's fine at any age. Otherwise it's just awkward*

(sorry, I was bored...)

How old is too old for?

Post 12

Teasswill

Methinks those who complete surveys produced by Forza supplements are probably rather young & conservative, lacking imagination about being older.

I was looking at some tunic dresses the other day, wondering if they would make me look like mutton dressed as lamb & then decided if I like how I look, I don't care what others think. Probably important to keep doing new things, whatever one's age. Stops one getting in a rut.

How old is too old for?

Post 13

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

<I was looking at some tunic dresses the other day, wondering if they would make me look like mutton dressed as lamb & then decided if I like how I look, I don't care what others think. Probably important to keep doing new things, whatever one's age. Stops one getting in a rut.>smiley - ok

How old is too old for?

Post 14

Cheerful Dragon

Emulating Sho:

1. Having a new tattoo - cut off age 31
Never had a tattoo, not sure I'd want to go through the process.

Never done this

I don't text much, so this is another that hasn't cropped up

Emoticons are fine anywhere in appropriate circumstances.

I'm 50 and I'll happily wear a baseball cap (or similar item) whenever I want to.

Like Sho, I stopped listening to Radio 1 when I stopped liking what they played. In fact, I don't listen to the radio much. When I do it's most likely to be Radio 2 or Radio 4, and occasionally Classic FM.

7. Wearing a bikini - 48
Never have, never will. I don't have the figure and I don't sunbathe.

I wouldn't mind trying it, just once.

I don't watch football, so this isn't an issue.

If a man has enough hair he should go ahead if he wants to. If he looks ridiculous, it's still up to him.

Roger Delgado was in his 50s when he played the Master in Doctor Who. If a goatee was good enough for him, it's good enough for anybody.
smiley - tongueout

As Sho says, personal preference, but not something I'd consider at any age.

Not something I'd ever have the confidence to do, and it is down to my figure.

They're uncomfortable and there's with MS there's too much danger of me falling off them. High heels of almost any description have been a no-no for some years.

I've never been to a music festival, but I've been to a few Quo concerts where the maximum age was well over 41. I don't think age has anything to do with a person's enjoyment of an event.

As Sho says, a quick kiss is fine, long-lasting kisses aren't, whatever age the kissers are.

17. Wearing Speedos - 26
Agreeing with Sho again. I've seen overweight men who looked horrible in swim shorts, Speedos just emphasise the issue. Please note it's not age that's the problem here, it's figure.

This is one where I'm going to disagree with Sho. The Proms are not reality TV, they're televised concerts. I don't watch GBBO, but I agree that other 'reality TV' shows are a waste of time.

I stopped wearing short skirts when I got too big for them, but I was over 27 when that happened. Again, age shouldn't be an issue here.

Another one where age shouldn't be an issue, although these shows are as much a waste of time as the other reality shows.

Another thing I've never done, but if a person can get into a nightclub they can dance there.

If the behaviour is annoying/upsetting to others, it's wrong at any age. If the outrageous clothes aren't indecent, they shouldn't be an issue.

An ex-colleague started snowboarding well over the age of 36 and was quite good at it. It's reckoned to be easier to get the hang of a snowboard than it is to get the hang of skis. I wouldn't mind trying it.

When I was in hospital a few months ago, everybody on the surgical team wore Crocs. They're not something I would wear regularly but, as Sho says, they have their uses.

I don't know anyone I'd high five. It's an action that's an import from the US and probably sits better with younger people. It doesn't look right when older people do it, but if it's what they want to do, it's their choice.

With all of these, it's a free country. Age is irrelevant. If somebody wants to wear something, or do something, it's up to them. OK, they may look ridiculous, but if they're not breaking the law or upsetting the horses, nobody has the right to object.

How old is too old for?

Post 15

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

All of this reeks of something the kids want to believe to put us smiley - senior in our place

I'm sorry, it doesn't work.

I'm 62 and planning my first trip to the UK, if I can find the proper place I might just come home with a new tattoo as a souvenir! Eat your hearts out kidssmiley - tongueout

F smiley - dolphin S

How old is too old for?

Post 16

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

What an astoundingly smug article this is! Whoever wrote it will surely be in line for a big wake up call when they reach any of the ages that they mention and have to resort to wearing cardigans, flat shoes, blue rinses and only engaging in tame, safe pastimes. Maybe take up Bingo or visiting tea rooms? I'd love to put a tracker on them and find out if on the eve of their relevant birthday they chuck out their bikini or high heels.

I think their agenda is to keep mature people out of their private playpen. Maybe they would be better off with finding something new that the young can do, without feeling they have to share with their elders. Any suggestions?
Here's my feelings on the list.

1. Having a new tattoo

I'm screamish (sic) about needles, but surely a fresh tattoo is going to look better on a 60 year old than one that was applied forty years ago onto a 20yr old? Don't they fade and stretch?

Not unless my fingers have slipped. smiley - smoochsmiley - winkeye Does h2g2 count? smiley - rofl

I tend only to use LOL in places where there are no emoticons. I have done since the beginning of time or whenever - why should I suddenly stop?

Erm, so - am perplexed about this one. Why ever not?
smiley - weird

I think the silliest baseball cap wearers are those who wear them far too small and sideways. smiley - shrug

The yoof can keep this. I prefer Radio 6 and cannot be parted from Radio4, which I have listened to since it came into existence. Prior to that it was known as the 'Home Service'. It is the backdrop to my life.

7. Wearing a bikini - 48
Now - I am smiley - steam about this one. Okay, those delightful señoritas are always going to look just gorgeous in their beach attire. But, as a confirmed beachbum I feel totally at ease with the other ladies who go to the beach for a bit of peace, quiet, reading swimming and sunshine. And nobody gives a damn. Some ladies (both young and old) are perfectly confident about their bodies and even go so far as to remove their top halves before swimming. This makes sense if you've ever sat around in a wet bikini top. Whoever wrote this piece seems to have a big hangup about something - maybe their own body? They need to Get Over It.

smiley - somersault No, I value my teeth.

If you're going to a match - why not?

I feel a bit sorry for some men who let their pony tail grow when they lose the bit on top. But apart from that I couldn't care less about men's hair as long as it isn't greasy.

Goatee beards? The worst looking ones are those from young boys desperately trying to grow a bit of facial hair. Sad. Give it time lads....

See answer #1

"time and place. It has nothing to do with age and figure, for me, but the judgypants who criticise people with "less than ideal" figures can take a running jump" -Sho

What Sho says.

They have to be joking again right? Try and take my heels away and you'll be very sorry.

Been There and Done that. Went to the first Glastonbury Concert and many others in the seventies (when festivals were free and you could have campfires).

Depends - a crowded high street? A romantic stroll along the promenade in the moonlight? A quick peck? A long snog? I think the answer is 'Get a room' which only the over 24s may be able to facilitate?

17. Wearing Speedos - 26
As with the bikini question - speedos are far better for swimming in than those baggy efforts - usually emblazoned with a Union Jack - that leave a builder's bumcrack visible, and worryingly look as if they will drag down once the person hauls himself out of the ocean. I avert my eyes from the bermuda short wearing blokes with overhanging beer bellies, but as long as they are not bothering me they can wear what the hell they feel happy in.

No comment really, as I don't watch much tv anyway. Does Antiques Roadshow count as reality tv?

I didn't used to wear a mini skirt when I had a professional job. Well, I did used to wear them in the seventies when they first came in. Recently I bought a couple, and am happy to wear them. Nobody looks at me oddly.

Never even watched it. But I cannot see why there should be a limit to voting for any type of show. Is the person who wrote this frightened of the older voter making a difference to a result?

I no longer go to nightclubs - I had my fill when I was young. I tend to have a bit of sympathy with this one, as it reminds me of the Dad dancing at parties. The young do need a bit of space purely for themselves. They can keep discos.

Behaving outrageously at any age is embarrassing.

Same as skateboard

I don't like the look of them, they remind me of wellies.

Seriously embarrassing at any age.

How old is too old for?

Post 17

KB

Ah, I see it's from the Express. What would you expect from a pig, but a grunt?

How old is too old for?

Post 18

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Regarding swimsuits: In the locker room yesterday, some of us were discussing which materials lasted longest. Most of us swim more than a hundred times a year, and don't want to own suits that only last a few months. Nylon doesn't last long, and may well fade. Polyester is better. Boxer-style trunks of polyester should be cost-effective.

Speedos are nylon, right? If so, you can rule them out on cost-effectiveness. As for beer bellies hanging over your boxer trunks, the critics should be glad the people wearing them are getting exercise by swimming. Hostility toward people who are trying to maintain their health is uncool at any age. smiley - grr

How old is too old for?

Post 19

Cheerful Dragon

When I criticised the overweight man in swim shorts, he clearly had no intention of going swimming. He was standing on the top deck of a cruise ship, admiring the view. Not only did his beer gut hang over the waistband, the back was also low which showed a lot of bum crack. Looking at him almost made me feel ill.

I don't care what kind of swimwear is worn by someone who is actually going to swim. If they are overweight, I'll probably applaud their attempt to do something about it. But anybody who is just sunning themself should think about what they look like. Speedos are possibly a better option from that point of view. Age has nothing to do with it. Visual impact is the issue, here.

How old is too old for?

Post 20

Teasswill

Colour & pattern are important in swimwear, too. Looking down at the pool from the dance studio at our leisure centre, I watched a lady who looked as if she was nude because her costume was pretty much skin colour (pale beige).

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more