PP.

Artwork Valuation

Post 22

bobstafford

Tate and Lyle have many examples smiley - biggrin

Artwork Valuation

Post 23

Pink Paisley

The Tate Gallery is named after Tate of Tate and Lyle fame.

PP.

Artwork Valuation

Post 24

bobstafford

It was a cubist joke sugar cubistsmiley - tongueout

Artwork Valuation

Post 25

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I'm fed up with the idea that everyone must give reasons why they like a particular painting or piece of music or literature. As far as I'm concerned we are all different and all individuals and we should be left in peace to appreciate what we want without having to give an explanation.That's for professionals who are paid to critique the arts.

As for value it is possible to value something as having worth despite having no monetary value.Sentiment plays a part in giving something value.

I also don't want to own a Van Gogh or a Monet but to me it has value simply because I like it.I think the whole issue is much more complex than monetary worth..

Artwork Valuation

Post 26

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Good point! smiley - ok

Artwork Valuation

Post 27

Sho - employed again!

I don't like the idea of beautiful* artwork being bought and hidden away in a vault or the board room of a bank.

My preference is to see a painting (or sculpture etc) in an exhibition - either by a single artist so that you can see their progression and how they got to the point where they made a particular piece of work, or a group of artists (movement if you like) like the Blaue Ritter so you can see where an artist or piece of work fits into that.

* ok - that's too subjective. Valuable / interesting / your-description-here

Artwork Valuation

Post 28

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Actually if I had the money I don't think I would buy a favourite work of art.I'd prefer use the money to feed or help my fellow human beings.

However I'd rather give a certain amount of cash to a museum or gallery so they could buy a painting from the collective donations to upkeep or buy works of art because I too think art should be on display for all to appreciate..smiley - ok

Artwork Valuation

Post 29

tucuxii

>>I never figured out why cubism was so celebrated, though.<<

Guess that means you don't see the point of pointillism either smiley - biggrin Da Da

Artwork Valuation

Post 30

Pink Paisley

"I'm fed up with the idea that everyone must give reasons why they like a particular painting or piece of music or literature."

I quite like to hear what others think about art. Especially of course, when they agree with me.

I could be missing something. I usually am.

PP.

Artwork Valuation

Post 31

I don't..I just want to think my own thoughts.Besides which it always turns into a justification issue and I really don't think that's the point to art.If it doesn't grab you then you shouldn't have to endlessly defend your position.

It's like the"does my bum look big in this" sort of situation.I'd rather not say and besides which a person should wear what the hell they like.
smiley - winkeye

Artwork Valuation

Post 32

"Guess that means you don't see the point of pointillism either smiley - biggrin Da Da" [Tucuxii]

There is one pointillist painting I do like:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/treasures-from-the-museum-of-bad-art/13/

If MOBA [The Museum of Bad Art, which used to be housed n the basement of a movie theater near me] were to add cubist paintings to its collection, I might enjoy them. Or, I might not. On the walls of my house I have reproductions of some Chinese paintings, some still-life flower paintings, and a mountain scene. I'm not programmatic.

I collect fine china, which can have any number of different patterns. Fruit. Flowers. Colored bands. Rustic scenes. Even designs from Faberge eggs.

Artwork Valuation

Post 33

Pink Paisley

I reckon that if

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/treasures-from-the-museum-of-bad-art/18/

Was to be hung on the wall at The Tate Modern, it would be there for weeks, months, longer before an eyebrow was even bothered to THINK about being raised.

But then, I'm a Pre-Raphaelite lover. (Say that any way you like smiley - rofl. My hair needs a trim).

PP.

Artwork Valuation

Post 34

tucuxii

My contribution would be a tank of formaldehyde with Damien Hurst startled looking head, hands and feet in it and the next room a pleased looking tiger shark with entrails streaming from its grinning lips

Artwork Valuation

Post 35

Would it be a tiger shark with good taste or bad?

Artwork Valuation

Post 36

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

I quite like cubism, very easy to find the points in it.

Artwork Valuation

Post 37

U14993989

Ancient Egyptian art was stylistic containing different viewpoints for different body parts. Cubism is a sort of development from that I guess except different viewpoints / perspectives for the same body parts, objects etc.

What is an object ... it's more than a single sensory (visual) perspective ... as far as I can tell cubism is an attempt to encapsulate the object from all its visual viewpoints. ... smiley - shrug

Artwork Valuation

Post 38

U14993989

The guide only has an unedited entry on cubism: maybe someone can work on it?
http://h2g2.com/entry/A1085159

Artwork Valuation

Post 39

"as far as I can tell cubism is an attempt to encapsulate the object from all its visual viewpoints. ... " [Stone Aart]

I appreciate the attempt and the intention. I just don't love the result. You get to see all the sides simultaneously, but there's no real sense of depth.

Artists often find themselves unappreciated -- did anyone outside the artistic community appreciate Impressionism when it first arose?

The art world has gone through a lot of isms in the last 130 years. Did this happen because art critics couldn't make up their minds about what art should look like? If so, why not? If people are no longer painting cubist paintings, is this a sign that the experiment failed, or that Picasso got out of it all that could be gotten out of it, and anyone else who tried would look silly by comparison? Just wondering.

Artwork Valuation

Post 40

Went to see the 2014 BP Portrait Awards at the Portrait Gallery on Sunday.Liked most of the entries and the majority seemed to be about photorealism..so another ism indeed.

However I also wandered around the Tudor,Stuart and Regency sections of the gallery.It occurred to me that much of early portraiture was about the prestige,wealth,power and influence of the sitter where as modern portraits are much more about the personal passions of the artist than the sitter and are far more a collaboration between the two..

smiley - teasmiley - cake

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more