A Conversation for Ask h2g2

If a job's worth doing...

Post 1

quotes

...it's worth doing well, so the saying goes; but that ignores the fact there might be other jobs which are just as important which won't get attended to, if you spend all the time on that first job. So another version I've heard, "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing badly" could also be true, although I prefer to think that it's preferably worth doing "at all" rather than "badly".

It also occurs to me that something with a time restraint needs to be done "in good time." What other pithy advice could be given concerning an important job?

Post 2

Beatrice

Decide where tasks fall on the scale of ugency and importance.

Urgent and important get done first.
Urgent but not important get delegated.
Important but not urgent get done when in a good thinking frame of mind.
Not urgent and not important (and unlikely to ever become either) get questioned whether they need doing at all.

Note: my idea of important and my boss's may vary.

Post 3

bobstafford

If a jobs worth doing get someone else in smiley - ok

Post 4

quotes

Bob, whenever I've had builders in, I've discovered years later that they've cut corners; the only way to know the job is done properly is to (be able to) do it yourself.

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If a job's worth doing, get a busy person to do it, based on the theory that busy people won't screw around with inessentials. They'll get to it and no waste time. it would be worthwhile to choose a busy person with expertise in the type of project to be done. Asking a CPA to design a new dance routine might work badly smiley - winkeye.

Post 6

Icy North

Such a simply framed question, but such a massive subject.

You can spend many years studying procurement, to the extent of becoming a member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply.

http://www.cips.org/en-GB/Qualifications/About-CIPS-Qualifications/

It's like the Wizard of Oz, really. Maybe all you need is a diploma, and the letters CIPS after your name, before you feel you can be confident making such a decision.

smiley - musicalnote...if I only had a brain...smiley - musicalnote

smiley - zoom

Post 7

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Are you sure it's worthwhile to have a brain? I hear a zombie invasion is imminent smiley - winkeye.

Key: Complain about this post