A Conversation for Ask h2g2

QOTD

Post 121

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" there are no photos of the two of them in any... EXPLICITLY compromising positions, and also no actual evidence that they shared a romantic relationship." [Mr. X]

There are no *known* photos of that kind. If any existed, organized criminals would surely have had them, and kept them private as long as Hoover kept his end of the bargain. There is an unauthorized biography of Hoover, written by someone who claims to have met Hoover at a cross-dressing party. Hoover [if it was indeed he] wore a black, frilly lace dress and asked to be called Mary. Of course, cross-dressing is no guarantee of homosexual tendencies. Also, the author might well have been mistaken.

Perhaps whatever photos there were got destroyed at Hoover's death, as they would have been no use to organized crime then. On the other hand, perhaps Hoover may well have been paranoid enough to keep enough screens and shades to make sure no one [not even organized crime] could film him in compromising positions].

For all I know, there might be an organization that continues to defend Hoover's posthumous reputation against charges of homosexuality. I will try to be careful what I write here. smiley - smiley

QOTD

Post 122

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Look, I don't care about protecting Hoover's reputation. The man was a bastard. I just want to point out that there's no proof of any of this.

As a historian, speculation repeated as though it were fact gets on my nerves.

smiley - pirate

QOTD

Post 123

Baron Grim

I agree. Also Hoover's sexuality and cross dressing is only relevant in the context of how he tormented others that shared related lifestyles. He truly was a horrid man and there is plenty of evidence regarding his behaviour in his official capacity. For that we must thank a group of "theives".

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/06/22205443-after-43-years-activists-admit-theft-at-fbi-office-that-exposed-domestic-spying?

QOTD

Post 124

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" I just want to point out that there's no proof of any of this. As a historian, speculation repeated as though it were fact gets on my nerves." [Mr. X]

Granted. I agree that proof is not available. My point was that no one knows what is out there undiscovered. If people can occasionally find a long-lost Mozart symphony, then maybe photos of Hoover in compromising positions might turn up some day. Or maybe they won't. Peace.

QOTD

Post 125

Baron Grim

"I can't remember how needle sizes work - I think the higher the number the thinner the needle.... and I'm guessing that's a UK thing - Europe does theirs in metric afaik, measured in millimetres. the USA probably has bigger ones measured in quarts. smiley - tongueout"

Sho

From here: F1886503?thread=8311250&show=20&skip=0#p110897531

QOTD

Post 126

SiliconDioxide

Is this the right thread?smiley - run

QOTD

Post 127

You can call me TC

For?

QOTD

Post 128