A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Are Your Thoughts On The EU Elections?

Post 1

Pastey

As many of you might have guessed, I'm a big fan of politics. I read all the party manifestos, I research the candidates histories, what they stand for, etc, etc.

But with the upcoming EU Elections ( http://www.elections2014.eu/en ) I was thinking it would be pointless. So far the EU (in my opinion) has only been highlighted for what it gets so very wrong (straight bananas anyone?) or for its gravy train approach of employment (high salaried non-attending MEPs and unpaid interns).

But then I found out last night that not only is someone I know standing in my region (they normally stand for local council seats in a neighbouring ward) but fully reading the party's priorities and plans, I think it's worth voting for them.

One thing we've got here at h2g2 is a spread of researchers across Europe, and I was wondering what everyone else's views are on this? Do you think Europe's working politically, do you have any parties or candidates that you think can actually make a difference, for the better?

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

The EU and Local elections are the only ones I'm allowed to vote in so I always go along and do it.

Currently I haven't given it any thought, unfortunately, but since the posters have all now gone up I expect to give it some attention over Easter.

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I wasn't aware there are elections coming up. All the fuss here (Ireland) has been about local elections. The EU is doing a very good job, particularly with its primary purpose of stopping us all fighting each other.

Post 4

Peanut

It is a momentous one for Hiccup, first vote smiley - wow

Post 5

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

The "straight bananas" stuff is an urban myth. Or, to put it another way, something that a newspaper either printed knowing it to be untrue, or was credulous enough to abandon all basic fact checking.

One thing that the EU does pretty well is fund scientific research, especially research collaborations between universities in different member states and associated countries. This rarely makes the news.

Because the EU elections are at least partly done on proportional representation, I look forward to voting for the party I want to support, rather than the one most likely to keep the Tories out.

Post 6

Pastey

They also do some stupid things. The most recent one was the close run thing (until the vote) of registering seeds. Any, and all seeds, would have to be registered at a huge cost to the small companies. Yet companies like Monsanto would be able to register their zombie seeds with no worries.

Post 7

Pastey

I do actually approve of the EU though smiley - biggrin

Post 8

Icy North

I'm with Gnomon. It's well worth having if it stops us fighting, although I think the Eurovision Song Contest probably achieved that by itself.

I'd rather vote for someone who works with it rather than someone who cynically milks it to promote their brand of xenophobia.

Key: Complain about this post