A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Repeating stuff/doubling back

Post 21

Milla, h2g2 Operations

smiley - cry
Yes. I'm sorry. It happened again today.

smiley - towel

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Hollywood does a lot of repeating stuff, too, in the form of sequels. Today I saw "Rio II," which had some scenes of blue macaws attacking the loggers that were intent on chopping down the rain forest.

let us now thank the trees for persevering in a world that seems bent on going crazy.

If we're lucky, I won't forget having posted this and reposting it.

Post 23

You can call me TC

This is probably not quite what you are getting at, but (feminists look away please)

I have always found it very annoying that "a woman's work" has to be continually repeated. You clean the loo, one or two days later you have to clean that same loo. You wash stuff, put it away and a week later it's in the laundry bin again. You wash up and the next day it's just the same. Day in, day out, you tidy the newspapers out of the way, wipe the same old surfaces in the kitchen....

"Man's work" however, once it's done, is done. Put up a shelf, a shed, replace the washer in a tap, mend the vaccuum cleaner. I know this is a terrible generalisation, but in our household we do basically stick to the traditional roles and it irks me so much having to do the same jobs every day. The most annoying thing is the the results are so short-lived.

Post 24

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Hey, tell me about it; I briefly (emergency stand-in for a few weeks)worked as a cleaner/housekeeper. Any brief job satisfaction on a gleaming job well-done, totally vanished when I turned up next day and had to do it all over againsmiley - wah.

Post 25

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Men who live alone do those chores too. Laundry, dishwashing, cooking, cleaning. I don't claim to do the cleaning part well smiley - tongueout, but I try. smiley - blush

The catch is that I'm only doing it for one [me], while a wife usually has to do it for more than one, unless the husband is into one or more of those chores.

And I won't get into which of the men in a gay marriage is designated as the "wife>. smiley - winkeye

Post 26

You can call me TC

Yes - I understand the many holes in my argument, but in my household the frustrating thing is that all those repetitive chores seem to fall to me, where the "job satisfaction" only lasts a few hours, and the jobs with a more lasting effect go to him.

He also has some jobs which have to be repeated, like mowing the lawn or doing the watering in the summer.

There are jobs I (could) do which I don't have to re-do the next day. For example, I should start sewing a few curtains or hanging some pictures, I could get on and file away/shred some of the tons of paper in, under, on and around my desk. Once done, I wouldn't have to do them again. But I don't have time for that with all the daily chores.

That said, the beauty of a daily job is that if you skip it one day, the amount you have to do the next day is just the same. Until you start skipping a whole week or something, then it gets to be a Big Job.

However, to get back to the OP: I do have the habit of typing a whole word again if I've got it wrong. Goes back to learning to type, where my fingers are only happy if they've typed a whole word.

And I recently printed out a file with 135 pages of an Excel spreadsheet and forgot to put in page numbering before I did it! So I practically had to look for another reason to print it again (which, fortunately, came up) so that I could repeat it, but WITH page numbers!

Key: Complain about this post