A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's your car's optimum speed in terms of MPG?

Post 41

Icy North

Makes you wonder what C1 to C4 were like.

Post 42

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Every time I see the title I keep reading the word cat..smiley - erm

Such a weird brain fart. smiley - winkeye

Post 43

Icy North

I've never seen such a concerted effort to derail a thread.

Post 44

Pastey

I agree, can we take the comedy cat moments elsewhere please? smiley - smiley

For quite a while there's been bikes that have electric motors built in for when you need a bit of extra help up a hill. But I think the weight of a car engine would make it impractical. Although it's been a fair while since I last tried to lift a car engine, so they may have got lighter.

But average miles per gallon does need to come down a lot. Or, we could end up with people owning town cars and motorway cars. Having said that though, that's pretty much what we do. The old Landrover is used around town because it's our only car, and when we want to go further afield, we hire a car because the Landrover rarely makes it above 45mph. And I dread to think what the fuel consumption's like when it's up to top speed.

The cost of hiring a car is actually a lot cheaper than you'd think, and if you only use it occasionally it's certainly cheaper than owning one, and then having to pay for tax, insurance an upkeep.

Post 45

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

it's a pity that cars couldn't be modular like some types of furniture. If you need to commute long distances by yourself, the smallest combination would provide the greatest fuel economy. Add a back seat module and an engine reinforcement, and you can carry one, two or three passengers. Add another engine module and a suspension upgrade module, and you could tow a trailer. At every level, you would be getting appropriate fuel economy, performance, and comfort without the need to own three or four difference vehicles, all with big bills for insurance, registration, etc.

Post 46

Pink Paisley

And does it really matter whether you use 'premium' fuels? Does a 'brand' work better than a supermarket petrol?

PP.

Post 47

Pastey

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Yes it does. smiley - winkeye

The additives put into fuel affect the way that your engine works, because we've got a pre-unleaded engine in our classic Landrover we have to manually add these things. It's possible to go into automotive stores (Halfords) and buy the chemical additives separately. Premium unleaded has extra additives to normal unleaded, and as such it makes the fuel burn more efficiently, taking the strain off the engine itself.

Key: Complain about this post