A Conversation for Ask h2g2

OMG - have you seen the new Google Doodle?

Post 141

You can call me TC

That link doesn't work for me at the moment, jwf, and nor does your trick with the "Lucky" button. I think Google's doing something in the background.

Post 142

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - ok
Yeah.
Google has announced a whole new schema
to be instituted on March 1st. They intend to
incorporate all your google activities into a
single-sign-on system that will keep all your
info at its fingertips where-ever you wander.

They have been inviting me to move all my other
e-mail accounts to my gmail files. How did they
know those Yahoo and Hotmail accounts were me?

Elsewhere..
Facebook is introducing a lot of new features
and will be going 'public'. Twitter is going to start
censorship on a per country-of-operations basis.

The fences and tollbooths are going up everywhere.
Thank Bob for hootoo.

smiley - cheers
~jwf~

Post 143

Baron Grim

It was the best of doodles. It was the worst of doodle...

Well, neither actually but it was a Dickensian doodle.

Post 144

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Google 'define English person'

smiley - winkeye

Post 145

Hoovooloo

So today is February 14th, and there's another animated Google Doodle, which conveys the important message about relationships: that men are expected to take time and effort and money to woo a woman, to bring a woman gifts of flowers, chocolates, clothing, balloon animals, cuddly toys, antique diving equipment smiley - huh, pies, magic hats, televisions, balloons (again) and paper aeroplanes.

And that the appropriate and expected response for the woman to all this attention and effort and expenditure is rejection couched as utter blind indifference.

Only when the man is beaten down and dejected by the constant rejection, ONLY when he is prepared to sacrifice any pretence of individuality and independent thought, only when he is prepared to demonstrate that he no longer cares about his own desires at all and now miserably defines himself entirely by what she wants him to do, only when he dejectedly starts doing something he clearly has no interest in... only then will she smile and allow him... a hug. And permit him the privilege of doing exactly what she wants to do, with her. Whoopy doo.

It's a wonderful way to celebrate the day, and I applaud Google's subversive message. smiley - applause

Post 146

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

That's not how I was wooed, it took 6 months of friendship and then a suggestion in my ear while we were dancingsmiley - loveblush

smiley - cupid

Post 147

Hoovooloo

Fair enough... but I bet he secretly *hates* dancing...

Post 148

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

We haven't danced sincesmiley - winkeye

Post 149

Mrs Zen

Wasn't the gift giver another woman? S/he certainly had a pony-tail in the early part of the film.

There is another message there, which is that a true alignment of hearts is not a matter of material things (though the diving helmet was cool) but a matter of shared outlooks.

Or maybe it's about the madonna / whore divide?

Post 150

Sho - employed again!

not that I agree with any of this but doesn't it also show, if you take it from Hoo's POV, that if men want to keep giving gifts to someone who doesn't want them... well, it's a bit stalkerish isn't it?

Post 151

Hoovooloo

That's not a pony tail, it's a rucksack. It has shoulder straps and everything.

Post 152

anhaga

smiley - erm

I think what it really shows is that Hoo has been unlucky in love.smiley - erm

smiley - winkeye

My word! - have you seen the new Google Doodle, what?

Post 153

anhaga

And, I thought the St. Valentine's Day doodle was saying "all that rot of giving expensive gifts is, in fact, rot. Just being yourself is the greatest gift."

Assuming, of course, that one is man enough to admit liking to jump rope.

Post 154

Mrs Zen

By the way, I would like to point out, I *can* be bought... smiley - laugh

Post 155

Baron Grim

Here's a little cross post from "useless facts":

This day in 1914 was the worst day of former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt's life. In the morning his mother died of typhoid, in the afternoon his wife died during the birth of their daughter.

Happy Valentines.

Post 156

anhaga

At least his daughter survived.

Or did she?

Post 157

Hoovooloo

"Assuming, of course, that one is man enough to admit liking to jump rope."

There's nothing unmanly about jumping rope, per se. Boxers do it, after all - it's excellent aerobic exercise and good for the footwork. And if you enjoy it, then obviously go do it.

But the man in the google cartoon is clearly *miserable*. He's beaten. He's not happy to be jumping rope. It's not something that he's relishing trying, otherwise it would obviously have been the thing he'd have tried *first*. Far from it. He's tried all the things society drums into us we're supposed to try on Valentine's day - flowers, chocolates, clothing, "thoughtful" wacky gifts. It's clearly just his last, desperate throw of the dice to get the ignorant b1tc4 to even acknowledge his efforts or, come to that, his *existence* even for a second.

The worst of it is - when it works, I feel *sorry* for the poor sod. Congratulations, sucker - the manipulative self-centred cow now has you on a string. Well done, sir. Hand in your balls at the front desk, you won't be needing them.

Post 158

anhaga

"There's nothing unmanly about jumping rope"

That's what I said.

For the rest of your post, Hoo . . .

see post 152.smiley - erm

Post 159

Sho - employed again!

we're all rather assuming that the ladies never ever do things for men to try to "trap them"...

Post 160

Hoovooloo

You mean apart from getting pregnant?

Key: Complain about this post